Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 AM

14 posts, read 50,425 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are very interested in building and living in a tiny house, but we've been really discouraged by all the rules and regulations and neither of us are that interested in living under the radar just so we can live in a tiny house. Are there areas of Washington (preferably western WA) where there is no zoning or no building codes? Or are there towns that are friendly to tiny house living? Our first preference would be to buy our own land and then park a tiny house on it full time, adding a home pottery studio, and possibly adding a garage, so we'd really like a piece of property that we can stay on for a number of years while living in the home of our choice. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:28 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
My understanding is that as long as it's on wheels (as so many of the tiny houses are) then it's considered temporary housing and building codes don't apply. But the garage, septic system, etc would fall under the local codes.

But I could be totally wrong. It's been many years since I full timed in an RV.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:26 PM

You're right - building codes don't apply, but RVs are typically considered temporary housing and aren't authorized for full-time living. A lot of people just go and do it without going through the proper channels, and many of them don't run into issues (if they do, it's usually because someone complains). We'd rather do things in compliance, hence the question about finding an area that doesn't have zoning or regulations that would prohibit us from living in a tiny house.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can do whatever you want if you go off the grid in Alaska. Many areas have no zoning, permitting, or health codes, because they have no government. No police or fire protection, either, but many have done it. I don't know of any other places that way in the lower 48. I suppose there could be, but it would have to be well beyond the reach of any city or county governments. Permitting and zoning = revenue.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
If living on one lot for the long term, possibly putting other small buildings on it later, in compliance with codes is your goal, what exactly is keeping you from buying that piece of land and getting a permit for the tiny house etc? People put modular homes on lots. I don't see why the tiny house is any different from a bigger house other than size.

Are you trying to avoid putting in a sewer line or septic tank?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisam View Post
My boyfriend and I are very interested in building and living in a tiny house, but we've been really discouraged by all the rules and regulations and neither of us are that interested in living under the radar just so we can live in a tiny house. Are there areas of Washington (preferably western WA) where there is no zoning or no building codes? Or are there towns that are friendly to tiny house living? Our first preference would be to buy our own land ... possibly adding a garage, so we'd really like a piece of property that we can stay on for a number of years while living in the home of our choice. Thanks in advance!
WA makes this too hard. MT is the only place in lower 48 PNW with lax building codes.

If in WA... buy a trashed home on nice acreage, bulldoze the home and build a shop with apartment ($20k and ALOT better than a tiny house)

1) (you can store stuff in the shop while you are building or researching your dream home) I get a lot of my supplies from CL, Freecycle; contractor closeouts, Habitat for Humanity ReStore; The Rebuilding center. I have built some very nice rural places for under $50/sf
Shop apartments can be ROOMY and big! (my neighbor and friend has a 3 story apartment INSIDE his 120'x240' shop (22 ft high eaves)
Shop will always have value to you or the next buyer
Great place for kids / adults to play on rainy days
Very fast and cheap to build (<4 weeks)

If you buy bare land you MIGHT get hit with impact fees!!!!! $20,000+ in some cases (for converting bare land to living / residential space. (permits in addition to this, as are well / utilities / septic (ALL will be required in WA).

A YURT is SO much better / cheaper / faster/ permit friendly vs a Tiny Home

We are in a 600sf cabin at the moment (after 23 yrs in 4,000 sf home). very nice but TIGHT. I have a 40 x 70 shop and a 36 x 24 shop and a 30 x 40 barn out the back door. (They are full of supplies and projects, as we are working on 6 rural homes within a few miles, as is the 'main house' (rented)) we live for free (on several rural places throughout USA. will be adding places overseas so we can have access to healthcare)).

Old 12-01-2015, 09:57 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WA makes this too hard. MT is the only place in lower 48 PNW with lax building codes.

If in WA... buy a trashed home on nice acreage, bulldoze the home and build a shop with apartment ($20k and ALOT better than a tiny house)

1) (you can store stuff in the shop while you are building or researching your dream home) I get a lot of my supplies from CL, Freecycle; contractor closeouts, Habitat for Humanity ReStore; The Rebuilding center. I have built some very nice rural places for under $50/sf
Shop apartments can be ROOMY and big! (my neighbor and friend has a 3 story apartment INSIDE his 120'x240' shop (22 ft high eaves)

If you buy bare land you MIGHT get hit with impact fees!!!!! $20,000+ in some cases (for converting bare land to living / residential space. (permits in addition to this, as are well / utilities / septic (ALL will be required in WA).

We are in a 600sf cabin at the moment (after 23 yrs in 4,000 sf home). very nice but TIGHT. I have a 40 x 70 shop and a 36 x 24 shop and a 30 x 40 barn out the back door. (They are full of supplies and projects, as we are working on 6 rural homes within a few miles, as is the 'main house' (rented)) we live for free (on several rural places throughout USA. will be adding places overseas so we can have access to healthcare)).
There are counties in Idaho with lax building codes. We lived off grid in a small cabin for many years in Bonner County which still doesn't have a building inspection. Boundary is also very easy to build in.
We considered a yurt and have friends who live in them but advised us against one given the very cold northern Rocky climate we were going to live in. Thankful we built a small cabin because it enabled us to add onto it over the years and when finished we had a real asset.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:04 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
OK I'll bite. How do you bulldoze a house and build a shop with apartment for $20K?

Quote:

Old 12-01-2015, 08:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
OK I'll bite. How do you bulldoze a house and build a shop with apartment for $20K?
dozer rental is $250/ day / weekend You can get rid of the home / mobile home in 4 hrs and have plenty of time to complete your pad for shop, and new driveway too!. (I have my own VERY cheap dozer, it is very handy (but very expensive to keep fixing...)~ $25/ hr in parts alone to have your own, so you might as well rent one!). I have a 12,000# tracked Bobcat and 11,000# Mini-excavator too, they are handy for planting flowers and other stuff. (setting trusses / pulling fence posts...)

Shop cost ~ $11/sf
(according NW builder MWBCS (Canby, OR))
Concrete is extra. ~$2000 for materials (get the 3,000# mix / glass) Cut expansion joints Next morning (faster than troweling in)
Estimating Concrete

You can build a shop EZ in a weekend and take a couple weeks to finish off apartment.

I buy most my supplies from Habitat ReStore or Rebuilding Center. (Free cycle / CL is good too).
You can get a used shower stall, Toilet and laundry sink for under $100 (usually with faucets / assembly parts)

Today I bought a used kitchen cabinet set for $80 (13 cabinets) It is really cute / cabin worthy. 9 ft section of countertop was on the 'free' pile (now it is at my house!).

We get used Wood varnished pre-hung doors, and light fixtures for $5.

I often buy my NEW certified windows from dealers who have a WHOLE stack of 'mis-ordered'. I got a set of VERY nice triple pane 3x5 double hung for $75 each today at Habitat.(they are NEW with certification stickers attached!)

When I have collected my cabinets and doors and windows, THEN I start my rough framing to fit by bargains. It is really fun to build CHEAP. We have some beautiful homes with lots of tile and stone work. ALL have natural wood for trim / window surrounds / doors (I don't like sheet rock and MDF painted trim.) Tile is REALLY cheap at resale stores. End of yr / first of yr is the BEST time to get tile / NEW supplies that contractors / businesses donate to resale stores for end-of-yr tax benefit. Last time I volunteered at Habitat ReStore during last week of yr, I packaged and sold over 50 pallets of VERY NICE tile.

Alternative... you can buy a repo / non-delivered NEW mobile home pretty cheap. (~1/2 price, since someone has already paid (and lost) down payment.) You can set up a Mobile / modular in a weekend too. (I have built many homes while I have ALWAYS had a fulltime +(60 hr / week) job (s). I like to work my jobs on night shift, so I have everyday free for my projects (30+ yrs of night shift / it's good for homeschooling too. Each of my kids had to design and build their own home when Jr High aged (they hated that!))

Whatever you do... don't ask a 'general contractor' how to do this... They get paid EXTRA for managing other people who will get the job done. If you have to hire something, go direct and ALWAYS get a lien release BEFORE you pay. Always write checks payable to BOTH material supplier and contractor! (That way the supplier has to sign too, and he will get PAID!

Many many people end up paying TWICE for the work (if they don't get a lien release). My boss is a great example... Built a HUGE barn and indoor riding arena. Cost him double to pay off the material suppliers. (after he had paid contractor. that is a No-No!!!!!)

hint: In your NEW SHOP, you will be warm and comfy and can build Tiny Houses for gullible young 'Green-ys' who are REALLY dreaming!

As mentioned above... a REAL cabin / home / shop is SO much better than a tiny home.
My MOST expensive home cost me $58/sf and I subbed almost everything out! Basically, I painted, did trim, and tile / hard surfaces. Everything else was contracted out. I used Microsoft Project and built and finished 4,000SF in less than 5 months. 2 of 27 contractors were late. They got fined.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-01-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 05:46 PM

StealthRabbit - I totally get what you're saying, and I'm aware of the financial benefits of doing other options other than tiny houses, but I personally don't want more square footage (I actually really like the square footage of a tiny house, and yes, I've stayed in and been in several tiny houses), and I want a house that I can take with me if I wind up having to relocate. The tiny house that we're going with is actually larger than most, and is a lot nicer than many DIY tiny houses (we're going to hire a tiny house company to build it for us and they use only quality materials). Will it be more per square foot? Absolutely, but we also feel that the cost is worth it, and honestly still cheaper than much crappier houses built on foundations in western WA.

We mainly don't want to get screwed if the neighbors complain, but we also don't want to live in the middle of nowhere just so we can live in a tiny house. I like being near enough to Seattle and the Eastside so I can still go to my same doctors, as well as eat out at some favorite restaurants or go to a show at Benaroya, etc. A lot of people who are living full-time in tiny houses don't seem to have issues, even in populated areas, so there's a good chance that we can go grab private land and set up our home and be just fine. I'm really just trying to figure out our options so we can take the best next step for our specific wants and needs.

Quote:
hint: In your NEW SHOP, you will be warm and comfy and can build Tiny Houses for gullible young 'Green-ys' who are REALLY dreaming!
BTW, this is really untrue. People living in or interested in tiny houses aren't just in their 20s or 30s--there are plenty of middle-aged and older people doing this, and for a variety of reasons. And many, although not all, are happy with their choice to go tiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington