Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 02:39 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times

Advertisements

Raincoats and umbrellas will mark you as an outsider.

After reading this I now know that WanderingFoot has actually lived directly on the western side of Washington state. I was born in Seattle, raised in Edmonds, living in a cowtown now that is known for once having Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp running amok. Keeping things "in line." Right. Dodge City, KS, ta be exact. But I know the above poster is too legit ta quit because we used ta refer ta those who use umbrellas as either ******* or tourists.

Had ta get it off my chest.

Editing courtesy of city-data security software, but, I think you Washington natives know what word goes where the asterisks now lie.

Last edited by elkotronics; 10-15-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 02:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,743,764 times
When Mom was visiting last Easter she never left the house without her umbrella...

I did mention/ask if she saw anyone else with one and then she realized she was the only one with one.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Ha-ha! Exactly. We would just get drenched time and time and time again.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:22 PM

437 posts, read 437,140 times
I've been schoooooled that waterproof hoodies are the acceptable form of Washingtonian rainwear.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:25 PM

Pretty accurate, carolochs. I enjoyed my hoodies back home!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 PM

290 posts, read 289,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFoot View Post
I am moving back to Washington, but I want east, not west. I never felt a lot of the social "freeze", but I am on the introverted side, and tend to mind my own beeswax. I'll be in Spokane at the end of the month. I've never lived there before, but I have hopes of being able to do more, and more comfortably, than the West Side. Including swimming, which I have truly missed. If I WERE ever to return to live west of the Cascades, I would choose very, very carefully. I am hopeful about Spokane, though I am prepared to make adjustments, and I am fairly flexible. I am trading some cultural diversity, and some other minor preferences, by moving to Spokane, but I have hopes that I will discover some bonuses I haven't even thought of yet! And I can always drive west for a visit if I need one.

The answers to this thread have been really interesting. Thanks for starting it.
+1

If you can swing it financially, check out Spokane's South Hill when you're looking for a place to land. Lots of parks, lovely-tree-lined streets, and residential architecture that is delightful. Absolutely wonderful.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:21 PM

437 posts, read 437,140 times
I find it curious what drives each of us...those underlying "wants" in where we choose to live. I know for myself, sometimes I can't even explain it....it's like some deep-rooted primal need. We LOVE to be near water, and be near deep forest....we feel claustaphobic away from them. To be able to walk in or near either, has always been a compelling thing we look forward to whenever we can. To think we might be able to do it EVERY day in WA would, for us, be worth any amount of gloom and heavy clouds or rain. Cuz we'd walk them IN the rain, happily! I know that's surely *not* a lot of people's criteria or cup-of-tea. Many feel gloom equals depression, arthritis, mud, mold, inconveniences, etc., and that's as real as ever for them. I understand that. For us, the trade-off for the outdoor attributes would be pure heaven. Which is why areas along the Hood Canal are so attractive to us, in addition to being away from big hubs. We've been near big hubs, we've also lived rural. We've reached a point in life where being around people just really isn't a big attraction for us. Being in the outdoor environments that make us feel most ALIVE, our best selves....is! And it's not like I've never lived in bad weather and have no idea what to refer to. I was born in NY and know what 9 ft. high snow drifts are that you have to tunnel through to walk to school in--no exaggeration! And months on end where it's hard to get out at all.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 AM

Yeah, interesting thoughts, carolochs, and some valid points and reasons for liking what you like. My wife is from Chicago and I'm from Seattle. We met in Edmonds and married in Edmonds. We're in Dodge City, KS, now, but Lord willin' and the creek don't rise I'm planning on retiring in August 2021.

After retiring from the Allied Healthcare job I'm in at that time, we are moving to either SE Arizona or southern New Mexico. The southwest has stole our hearts. Love the warmth and the desert. Love the sunsets and the cactus and the wide open west. Mountains and water are available in some places there but more than likely we'll settle in a small community without a lot of water.

And I grew up in Edmonds, which is right on the water! And I do love water...it's just that I would prefer being in a smaller area of people that is in a desert environment. The only really large city I would be happy in would be Tucson, AZ, and that qualifies under our retirement criteria. My wife has learned of a part time job she is very interested in and I'm kind of happy to hear of this because it could mean saving some more money towards our Aug. 2021 goal.

The thing is, carolochs, I totally respect your desire to be around water. Totally get it - the Pacific NW is my real home and it is gorgeous. Seattle is in my humble opinion the most beautiful city in the world - by night and by day. Enjoy it to the full - the forests are treasures of the Pacific NW as well as the water all around it. We will no doubt want to travel and see the NW again someday but, really, it won't be the same as it was growing up. I've changed and with time I've decided I love a different environment more.

What would be sad to me is not being able to live where you want to...but it's not a life-killer, either. I'm thinking it would be sad to be stuck in an inner-city environment you don't want to be in because you can't afford to go anywhere else. You'd have to make the best of it because it would be all you have to deal with. We can agree that being outdoors is so important - enjoy your choices everyone and may where you be or where you're eventually headed to be where you want to be and where you're the most happy.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:27 AM

17,346 posts, read 12,301,200 times
Yep, whatever makes you happy. Though with the climate changing and things getting hotter and drier I would be looking at settling in a place with plenty of water. The Arizona Department of Water Resources projects a 21% chance of a water shortage declaration next year. That jumps to a 52% chance in 2017. Retiring someplace which could require constant water rationing would not be on my radar.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:31 AM

That is probably the biggest issue and moving to New Mexico may or may not improve that possible difficult outcome, either. So there's some drama involved, yes. Wouldn't be right without some drama, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington