Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

Hi, First I apologize if this is the wrong place to have posted this.
We just purchased a house which has two wood burning fireplaces,one in the living room open faced no doors & a wood stove in the basement it has doors. The chimney goes through the middle of the house.

I can't find (or I am not understanding properly) the laws/rules about fireplaces in Unincorporated Peirce county. I have already fell in love with reading by the fireplace and want to install a fireplace in my bedroom & would also like to add one to the upstairs room. We have used the fireplace as I'd say 60% of our heating source this winter and it's worked out nicely. I think I would actually like to decommission the oil tank and just use the fireplaces for the winter time.

Anyway back on point.
I have a couple of questions about all this.
1. I don't want a closed up with doors or insert fireplace. But read somewhere briefly that those are the only ones allowed now? Is that true? Because, I want a small open faced wood burning fireplace in my bedroom.

2. upstairs I was wondering if it is possible to cut right into the main chimney to add one up there?

3. If I can even have a fireplace installed I was wondering what would be best for a Our bedroom fireplace. The wall I want it installed into is kiddy corner across the hall maybe 5 feet from the main chimney. Would it be possible, practical or better to run the exhaust pipe( Sorry lack of proper words for the parts of the fireplace) over to the main chimney or just build a new one straight up through the floor & ceiling?

Thank you ahead of time for anyone who can help get me going in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
It looks like RCW requires any new masonry fireplaces to have doors.

Chapter 51-51 WAC: STATE BUILDING CODE ADOPTION AND AMENDMENT OF THE 2012 EDITION OF THE INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE

I'm not sure how long you've lived in Pierce County but it's among the worst in the puget sound region for air quality, and has frequent burn bans. I've heard they've cracked down on violators a lot lately. I still use one of the old masonry fireplaces in my house on a regular basis, but I certainly wouldn't spend any money adding more of them. Unless the air quality improves, the # of days per year you can use it is going to decrease in the future.

I'm also skeptical that burning in an open fireplace is anywhere near the cost of heating oil. Open hearths are so inefficient, you'd be better off selling your cord wood and using the money to buy oil for the furnace! I like a nice open fire as well, but they're not really practical for heating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington