Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Hi there, Bellingham is high on our relocation list. My husband, children and myself will be relocating this summer. We've seem to fall in love with Bellingham. We would be coming from SO. Cal, I know it's a change in lifestyle and weather, and that's what we love. How are the schools? I hear they're grate. However, jobs? Are they there, if not commuter town that's close that might offer a better chance? Stay away areas? Any that we should know about, we have 3 small children. Housing, reasonable? Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
My parents live there, and just wanted to pop in and reassure you that it is a lovely town in which to raise kids. Lots of families with kids, wonderful nature all around, excellent schools. I have talked to several locals, including teens, about their impressions and thus far everyone has stated it's a great place in which to grow up. I've asked several random parents and families at parks and local businesses, in fact. One thing I especially love is that they can swim in the lake in the summer time, just a very idyllic type of childhood.

The downsides...typical PNW weather, which is very dark and cloudy in the winter. Very short summer. Less rain in Bham than Seattle. A few homeless people with drug problems. And the kicker for us, which prevents my husband and I from moving there, very few professional jobs. Housing is relatively expensive, incomes are somewhat low. Housing is cheaper and more forested in Sudden Valley, about 8 miles out of downtown Bham, but it can also be darker and rainier (despite that, it's where we would move due to the neighborhood amenities...lake access, parks, trails, pools, library, theater, coffee shop, gym, golf course, feeds into good schools, etc...and a 3-4 BR house in the 200-300's). Many people on this thread will probably advocate for living in town, and there are definitely some affordable places in nice neighborhoods with sidewalks. But in general, the "best" schools feed into the wealthiest neighborhoods & out of our price range, while the less than best schools are still good.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,697 times
Hello,

I've lived in many of the cities in Whatcom County. Bellingham is where everything is at! This is a small county and you will find yourself driving to Seattle for fun (a lot). Bellingham is where the big Regal Movie Theater is, one Costco, two Fred Meyers, one Winco, one Mall (Bellis Fair) one Trader Joes and soon one Safeway. If you do not live in Bellingham and choose a different city in the county plan on driving to Bellingham for everything including gas. The locals know gas is cheapest either at Costco (long lines) or Fred Meyers because you can get up to a dollar off of gas with their reward card. FYI: The freeway, Bellingham roads and Bellingham stores are packed with lots of people! The county is next to the Canadian Border and Bellingham is where majority shop too. We need two of everything and it's not happening. Be prepared. Costco and Fred Meyers are constantly restocking all day. We personally got stressed out with the traffic and people so we drive to Smokey Point for Costco and Winco. That's pretty far to get away if you ask me. Burlington which has a Costco is starting to get really packed too. We are both born and raised here locally and cannot wait to retire to move some where hot! It rains all year long! End of July, all through August and September are the times for good weather. On the plus side take advantage of being so close to Canada. Vancouver is only an hour away once you cross. Whiterock is the first city right after you cross. So pretty in the Summer with all of the restaurants near the water. Granville Island is a great place to go as a family. In the summer they have a free mini water park in the kid area. It's like a Indoor/Outdoor Farmer's Market with so much great food and restaurants. Locally for kids here are the places to take them when it rains and you cannot go to the park: Perch n' Play, Jump Zone, Gym Star, Local Libraries, Bellingham Children's Museum (FIG), Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Club Sporst (Before and After School Childcare), YMCA Sports and McDonald's Play Area. Mt. Vernon, WA has Jungle Playland which is pretty cool. The best park in my opinion is Cornwall Park North because of the playground equipment and in the summer from 1pm and on they have a water spray area. Get the kids into swimming lessons, karate, dance too. Oh, Bellingham has Kids Day which I think is in August and it's all free including the games, bouncy houses, food! Lots of local business there too for kids activities. Anything indoors! I hope this helps

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Bellingham is not worth it anymore

Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Bellingham is not worth it anymore
Why?? Too many people invading it and driving prices up and building homes and condos everywhere?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Why?? Too many people invading it and driving prices up and building homes and condos everywhere?
No. Too many hippies and homeless and pretentious students. Crappy weather 8 months out of the year. Canadians everywhere. If I didn't have a great high paying career here I'd be gone tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
FYI:
Bellingham, the ugly truth.... (Seattle, Tacoma: for sale, real estate market, apartments)

The "Curse of Bellingham" Washington

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 PM

335 posts, read 421,588 times
Bellingham is great. Weather, for me, is the only weak point.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM

73 posts, read 172,632 times
Hmmmmm. I have to agree with the "no" votes for Bellingham. We moved here ten years ago and really wish we hadn't - and we are looking for a way out 100% of the time! Bellingham's housing is ludicrously expensive, the Canadians are making it miserable to shop here, there are no good jobs, the downtown area is overrun with druggies/tweakers, there's a growing gang problem, and from mid-October to sometimes as late as July, the weather is so bad that all there is to do is go to one of the awesome local microbreweries and drink! Outdoor activities (biking, hiking, horseback riding, camping, etc.) are all but impossible 8 months out of the year because of the crappy weather. It gets VERY depressing!!! If I knew then what I know now, I would NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDER MOVING TO BELLINGHAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington