Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,971 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am from Austin, Texas and plan on moving to Washington in May sometime in 2014. Me and my husband have been researching, for probably a year or so on exact which part of Washington to move to, but would like to hear opinions and facts from the people that live there. We have been thinking about the following areas, Tacoma, Sopkane, Moses lake, around these areas does not necessarily have to be in them specifically. Personally I would like to find a city or town that is not all about the nightlife bar scenes, and would like the country again or a town that gives the hippie vibe. What are some good areas to live in that are relatively safe? We are wondering what are good locations to hike, things to do? What is the vibe of these places? As we are looking for a laid back town or city that has easy access availability to get to other cities and towns. Or what cities would y'all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM

A little more information about us. We work from home, so there is no issue with commuting anywhere for work. Right now we are looking for a rental house. For the past year we have seen housing for rent in Washington to very from 595 for a small house to more than 2 grand, I am willing to go up to 800 a month for a small house, while the hubby is willing to go up to a 1000 per month for rent. But we are hoping to get decent of land around us as we do not want neighbors always looking at you, or cough and they say excuse you in your home (aka they can hear you because they are so close), things like that. I don't know if its an Austin, Texas thing but it is rampant here. I have lived in Cedar Park and Austin all of my life and most of my hubby's life as well. We are looking for a area in Washington that has all four seasons not two like here (mainly summer with a touch of fall) and in the words of my hubby, "Not ghetto."

Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,656,775 times
I wouldn't suggest Moses lake, a friend whose parents live there tells me horror stories about the drugs and crime. There has been some recent businesses moving there and providing more jobs due to the cheap land, but not enough to bring their economy back. When I think of hippie-friendly areas, you will need to be west of the mountains. Look at Port Townsend, Bellingham, Port Orchard, and Seabeck. Your $800-1,000 rent limit is going to be a real challenge for any size house in the entire Puget Sound area, that's more like a 1 BR apartment or mobile home rent. When you get farther out to the east where rent is lower, you will find people to be more conservative. In places where rent is less there is more drug/crime problems. Tacoma is more blue collar than hippie, Spokane is actually a Republican majority city, as is Moses Lake.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Thank you for your response and information . I will scratch Moses lake area out of my list, unless something major changes our minds. I can definently see what you mean by pricy, as I looked into the area Port Orchard and the lowest priced home was 695 and smaller than our efficiency apartment. With Port Townsend I absolute loved that they had Victorian houses. But I found cheaper places near there such as Everett and Lynwood, Whidbey Island. We are curious on how these places are as well. Oh okay so Tacoma is more of a Factory town/city? Mobile homes are okay by us, no more apartments haha as we have lived in two different apartments for the past 2 years, a year at each one, different locations. Hopefully we do not bombard everyone with so many questions. I have been thinking to e-mailing or calling the renter's to these homes very soon next month in January would that be too soon for a May move?

Old 12-23-2013, 04:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,473,091 times
Have you looked into Puyallup, Washington? Just outside of tacoma, gives a suburban, country, oldtown charm mix. Very interesting place. Plus they are home to the state fair!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,656,775 times
Everett has it's nice areas, but those with cheap rent are sketchy. Lynnwood is OK but the areas with lower rent are near the mall, not the country. The affordable areas of Whidbey are close to the naval base with some jet noise, and getting to
amenities requires a ferry or long drive. Take a look at Snohomish and Monroe, those might be more suited to you.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:48 AM

492 posts, read 1,044,028 times
Sounds to me like Spokane fits better. Western WA doesn't have four seasons. Fall, winter and spring are very similar, about 8 months of mostly overcast and drizzle, for many people it's depressing. Your rent money would get you more to do in Spokane. They get more of a real winter with snow, although it's often overcast there then too. Summers are perfect yet too short in western WA, they are nice and hot in Spokane. I haven't spent much time there. You can get a good feel in the Spokane forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington