Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,894,857 times

Advertisements

The Tri-Cities, Kennewick in particular, been considered the up and coming Boomtowns. It does have a healthy economy, plenty of affordable houses (and land to build more) and a nice waterfront. I especially love the wineries nearby. Whenever we visited my BIL and his family, the wineries are definitely our go-to. The weather is superb.

Bremerton though... is an interesting choice. Personally I'm not as optimistic. I would think Tacoma would have to (re)boom first before Bremerton start to have their moment.

I don't think there should be any new Boom City, we got plenty of cities that need to get their economies jump-started and they've already got their infantstructure all set up. Like Tacoma and Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,469,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The Tri-Cities, Kennewick in particular, been considered the up and coming Boomtowns. It does have a healthy economy, plenty of affordable houses (and land to build more) and a nice waterfront. I especially love the wineries nearby. Whenever we visited my BIL and his family, the wineries are definitely our go-to. The weather is superb.

Bremerton though... is an interesting choice. Personally I'm not as optimistic. I would think Tacoma would have to (re)boom first before Bremerton start to have their moment.

I don't think there should be any new Boom City, we got plenty of cities that need to get their economies jump-started and they've already got their infantstructure all set up. Like Tacoma and Spokane.
I think Bremerton has alot to do with what sequoias Said, as if there were a way to cross the sound then it would serve as a great option to live and opening up a new Economy over there. But until that happens (if it ever does) it will remain as is. I definitely would live to see new energy pumped into Tacoma to see I cleaner, Safer, happier city then what it is now.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
TriCities has been in a boom (of sorts, BUT it is NEVER another Bellevue (and a good thing).

Next boom towns will be where the jobs are created and WA DOR makes that tough, as do counties.
A small employer in a smaller town can make it a BOOM town. (I have a friend who's company moved to a small WA town (< 300 population) and now has 80 on the payroll ~ $16-$28/hr). That can be GOOD or bad... Finding employees that can: pass a drug test, add and subtract, use a tape measure, and SHOW up is a huge challenge to business well-being.

Boom Town will most certainly be a suburb in We-Tside (till that side of state drops into the sea. a few million yrs + /- a few million yrs.. could be today, maybe not)

Bremerton, no (unless Sequester ends or WE (USA) get into a sea based war... not so unlikely, since Obama is on the run from jihadists, there are still a few other potential dhallengers watching US(A) VERY closely and the enemy most certainly will take advantage of ANY weakness (THEY, (the enemy) are very strategic Hit'em while they are on the run )
Bellingham NO

Olympia is always a likely candidate with MORE gov jobs (WA needs more OVERHEAD, and with CARB, there will be plenty... count the CA CARB employees!).

EASTSIDE- - Depends if you want to include the illegals that are being granted 'permission / ID' to stay (vote) in WA.

I vote Wenachee for Eastside, or Spokane Valley / South side if this medical care mess gets some legs (besides RUNNING AWAY from WA, that it is looking necessary for many, especially retirees..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,075,327 times
Wenatchee will never be a boom town in the traditional sense of the word. Not enough flat ground for industry. Chelan County will end up like Sun Valley. In a few years, only the exisiting residents and the rich will be able to live here.

The towns booming right now under the radar screen of our state government are Quincy and Moses Lake. In 20 years, Moses Lake will be larger than Wenatchee. Quincy, Ephrata, and Moses Lake will be the "new Tri-Cities" in Washington state.

Spokane and CDA have some potential, but opposition from the state of Washington and the folks in CDA that think they are a tourist destination will hamper the boom town potential.

Tri-Ciites is use to bucking Washington state government for economic development. They really have potential.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,317 times
Having lived in Moses Lake for 3 years I am going to have to agree with 509. This place has really grown in the short amount of time we have been here. So much so that there are crowding issues with the schools that are going to get worse unless they pursue of some solid solutions.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,384,834 times
Moses Lake or Quincy are likely to be boom towns. They are growing rapidly based on a new industry that has moved in. There is nothing else in the area to support the growth other than the new industry. If the new industry decides to move on then demand for housing and services dries up, and you have another town with empty store fronts.

You don't want boom towns. They are really bad for the region.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Moses Lake or Quincy are likely to be boom towns. They are growing rapidly based on a new industry that has moved in. There is nothing else in the area to support the growth other than the new industry. If the new industry decides to move on then demand for housing and services dries up, and you have another town with empty store fronts.

You don't want boom towns. They are really bad for the region.
Well, when the new industry is transportation based, server farms, and industrial development I would say the odds are pretty good that it is not a flash in the pan. Remember Los Angeles was a boom town during WWII.

Grant County has high tech fiber, low electricity costs, cheap land, cheap labor, a huge airport, rail, and an interstate highway for transportation. The remarkable thing is that it took so many years for people to recognize the obvious.

I feel much better that all the economics classes I took did not go to waste!!! I remember taking the Highway 17 off-ramp in 1979 and remarking....."why isn't this county booming!"

Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM

412 posts, read 1,154,485 times
What kind of economy does the Tri Cities operate on? Hanford nuclear site is one of them, I think? I think that area is too dry for my taste, lol.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
What kind of economy does the Tri Cities operate on? Hanford nuclear site is one of them, I think? I think that area is too dry for my taste, lol.
Tridec | Tri-Cities Washington Development Council

from the web site: "The Tri-Cities has a highly educated workforce - 82.3% of the population has a high school, college or graduate education and there are more scientists and engineers per capita residing here than anywhere else in the nation.

The region's economy is anchored in agriculture, bio and high technology, manufacturing, service industry and government.

Major employers include Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Lockheed Martin, Bechtel National, CH2M Hill, ConAgra Foods Lab Weston, Amazon.com, Tyson Fresh Meats, URS Corporation, and Ferguson Enterprises."

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM

412 posts, read 1,154,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Tridec | Tri-Cities Washington Development Council

from the web site: "The Tri-Cities has a highly educated workforce - 82.3% of the population has a high school, college or graduate education and there are more scientists and engineers per capita residing here than anywhere else in the nation.

The region's economy is anchored in agriculture, bio and high technology, manufacturing, service industry and government.

Major employers include Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Lockheed Martin, Bechtel National, CH2M Hill, ConAgra Foods Lab Weston, Amazon.com, Tyson Fresh Meats, URS Corporation, and Ferguson Enterprises."
Interesting diverse of economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington