Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 13,068 times

Advertisements

hi, i am looking forward to transfer to 4-year universities in washington. i am in a major of biochemistry. Do you know which colleges are good at that area? also which college has a better medical school program.

right now i am looking at uw seattle and wsu. Which one is better at medical area? Which one has a better campus. in term of applying, which college is less competitive in biochemsitry major?

also, i am right now a california resident. which school of above is cheaper for tuition.

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 219,474 times
Both schools will have approximately the same tuition since both are public universities.

If you're looking for med schools, UW is it. WSU has a good vet school though. But you could do your biochemistry major anywhere because you still have to apply separately to med school.

In terms of school atmosphere, you are really comparing apples to oranges. UW is of course in the middle of Seattle, so it feels like a "commuter school." WSU, being in the middle of nowhere in eastern WA, feels more like a tight-knit community. Pullman is a college town. And of course the weather is different in each place too.

Historically, WSU has been the easier school to get into, but now admission to WSU is more competitive. But it is still easier to get into WSU than UW, but not as easy as it once was.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,518 times
It really depends on what your eventual goals are. If you're looking to get into UW's medical school, I wouldn't suggest attending UW as an undergrad. They accept relatively few of their own undergrads to their medical school.

WSU has cheaper tuition for out-of-state students. Also, since it's located in Spokane, the cost of living is significantly lower, too. But then you have to live in Spokane.

Here are a couple links that have both schools' tuition info:
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: University of Washington: At a glance
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: Washington State University: At a glance

Both schools have excellent biosciences programs. UW's campus, while in a very cool area, has some REALLY nasty buildings in dire need of repairs and/or upgrades.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 AM

10 posts, read 75,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
It really depends on what your eventual goals are. If you're looking to get into UW's medical school, I wouldn't suggest attending UW as an undergrad. They accept relatively few of their own undergrads to their medical school.

WSU has cheaper tuition for out-of-state students. Also, since it's located in Spokane, the cost of living is significantly lower, too. But then you have to live in Spokane.

Here are a couple links that have both schools' tuition info:
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: University of Washington: At a glance
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: Washington State University: At a glance

Both schools have excellent biosciences programs. UW's campus, while in a very cool area, has some REALLY nasty buildings in dire need of repairs and/or upgrades.
I don't mean to correct you but washington state is in pullman, which is 1 1/2 hrs away from spokane...I know this because I live in spokane . Both are good schools, but uw is a better school acdemically as far as business and medcine are concerned (that's all i know about). If your more of a city person and like a school that's more urban, uw is the school for you. If you want a school in a college town then it's pullman, considering the only thing in pullman is wsu pretty much.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelz0376 View Post
I don't mean to correct you but washington state is in pullman, which is 1 1/2 hrs away from spokane...I know this because I live in spokane . Both are good schools, but uw is a better school acdemically as far as business and medcine are concerned (that's all i know about). If your more of a city person and like a school that's more urban, uw is the school for you. If you want a school in a college town then it's pullman, considering the only thing in pullman is wsu pretty much.

OMG, you're so right. How silly of me! Thanks for the correction!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
I have heard from kids living in Pullman that there isn't much going on there, and excessive drinking is a big problem.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
UW is where you want to go for Biochemistry.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM

32 posts, read 137,932 times
Default Every school within a university is different as are the students

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelz0376 View Post
I don't mean to correct you but washington state is in pullman, which is 1 1/2 hrs away from spokane...I know this because I live in spokane :D. Both are good schools, but uw is a better school acdemically as far as business and medcine are concerned (that's all i know about). If your more of a city person and like a school that's more urban, uw is the school for you. If you want a school in a college town then it's pullman, considering the only thing in pullman is wsu pretty much.
Yes, Pullman is 1.5 from Spokane as I also live in Spokane. Yes, both are good schools, but having gone to WSU and taught for 25 years at the University of Idaho....I would say that the major that the student is intending to further his education is the most important factor. ie Pre-med is either school with the WAMI program available. Ag student it would be WSU and so on. One school is hugh in sizeboth with students and the city.. and the other in a small town and is moderately large.

Just my opinion

Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,175 times
Don't forget WSU Vancouver. Only 2 minutes from Portland and 10 minutes from Downtown Portland.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
I'm a UW graduate living in eastern Washington among Cougs. Nearly all the posts above this are right on the money. The schools are very different, but both proficient in their own areas of specialization. UW med school is pretty competitive, as you'd expect of a university where they are actively inventing medicine. However, the UW experience can be a bit distant and chilly for some. It gets less so over a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington