Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I registered here so that I could raise a question about a home I am currently renting. I have reviewed the LL/tenant laws for Washington state and I cannot find anything definitive, so I would like some opinions.

In June of this year we signed a year lease for a two bedroom rental in the suburbs of Seattle. The house was built in 1905 and the structure is original (only cosmetic updates have been made). The windows are single pane (which we did know about when we signed our lease) but the home is also very poorly insulated, which we did not know.

During the summer months, the inefficiency of the house was not apparent. Now that we are approaching January, we are completely frustrated with trying to heat the house. In a home we were in the previous two years, our electricity bill for two months was never more than $150.00. In this house, our electricity bill for the past two months was $327.00! And the worst part is - even though we're paying twice as much for electricity, the house never warms up to more than approx. 66-67 degrees.

On top of that, there is a fireplace that we are trying to utilize (and spending about $100/month for wood) but it is also completely inefficient. With a roaring fire, it may heat the house up one degree in three hours (not exaggerating).

My question is - what are our options in this situation? We are so cold everyday, we'd like to move out. I don't know whether this is enough to break our lease, though. My other idea is to let the LL know how bad it is and ask them to fix it, but because this would require remodeling (updating windows, installing proper insulation, etc.) I don't think they'll be willing/able to do this. At which point, would we then be able to break our lease because they did not resolve the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM

23 posts, read 117,848 times
only heat the rooms you are in with small heaters.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sams View Post
only heat the rooms you are in with small heaters.
This, and go buy those window seal kits and inexpensive door sash covers. In those old houses a big part of the discomfort is the drafts. I was renting an old 1920's home last winter, and the heating bill was close to $300/month.

The other thing that really helps is to put up drapes over windows and between rooms to limit air flow. They don't have to cost a fortune if you buy them at Ross or another discount store. The drape rods can be bought cheap or easily made as well.

FWIW, unless the owner lived in the rental for a while or pays the utilities you have to assume old houses haven't been updated to save energy.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Read your lease. If there is wording that addresses mechanical systems maintenance and the responsibilities of the landlord, you may be able to get them to repair/replace the furnace or at least get out of the lease. If not, the space heaters in the rooms you are using could end up saving you money.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,614 times
Google your city or county's housing authority and contact them for information and help. Also, contact your public utility company for suggestions and possible assistance.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This, and go buy those window seal kits and inexpensive door sash covers. In those old houses a big part of the discomfort is the drafts. I was renting an old 1920's home last winter, and the heating bill was close to $300/month.

The other thing that really helps is to put up drapes over windows and between rooms to limit air flow. They don't have to cost a fortune if you buy them at Ross or another discount store. The drape rods can be bought cheap or easily made as well.

FWIW, unless the owner lived in the rental for a while or pays the utilities you have to assume old houses haven't been updated to save energy.
^^^ This.

As for the fireplace, most are very inefficient. Unless it has an insert (very unlikely), they draw as much heat out of the house as they create. You'd be better to close it off, maybe including some insulation, and spend that $100 on electricity for space heaters. Some space heaters are pretty efficient, I understand, although I don't know much about them.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,816 times
I have found Vornados to be very good at heating, and quiet.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,583 times
I doubt there is anything in the landlord/tenant laws that would cover this. If the furnace stopped working, that is covered but it sounds like everything is working as it is supposed to, it's just an old house. You might try talking to the landlord...they may find it cheaper to do some updates than to get a new renter when the lease runs out.
If you really like where you are and plan to stay long term, you could consider purchasing a wood stove or seeing if your landlord would pick up that cost. Most fireplaces do nothing more than send the heat out of the house. A good woodstove and strategic fan placement could keep the house pretty toasty.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
If you live in a 100 year old house with 100 year old technology, why should you expect to have contemporary standards of comfort and convenience?

Just get a 100 year old quilt to wrap up in, and a pair of 100 year old slippers to keep your feet warm.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
What kind of heater does the house have? It may need maintenance if it is not working efficiently. Talk to the landlord. If you are a good tenant, the landlord doesn't want you to leave any more than you want to break the lease.

Turn the thermostat down a degree or two and dress warmly. If you get a space heater, consider the kind with circulating oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: