Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Hmm...I could have sworn that Wenatchee was in Washington. My daughter was over a year and half before she saw her first rain.....in Seattle.

We are thinking about moving to Tucson, Arizona but are not sure if we can handle the Arizona rain. Wenatchee is a wet as we can handle....I think.

Wenatchee 9.09 inches annual precip..

Tucson 11.92 inches annual precip......
I don't mean to put a damper on your move but the winter in eastern Washington is almost as gray as being on the west side. In fact I think it is probably about the same with a little less rain and a lot more snow that the city of Wenatchee plows into the medians on the only road there. If you aren't used to dealing with below freezing temperatures for six months out of the year I would reconsider it. The locals claim that there are 300 days of sunshine a year here which is total nonsense. There is a weather formation that occurs here in winter known as inversion, which once it sets in the sky is grey for months. Maybe half the year is sunny and actually very nice but another thing to keep in mind is it is always windy here in the spring and fall, to the point of being annoying. Summer is short and lasts for about two or three months. I think this sunshine myth was made up by real estate agents to attract west siders over to enjoy the less gray skies they have. Defiantly not as sunny as anywhere in the southern states. Days are very short in the winter and you will usually go to work in the dark and get home in the dark. Also more recently summer forest fires have become quite a problem due to falling annual snow precipitation. Smoke fills the Central Valley and does not leave for weeks. A couple of summers ago it was unbearable to be outside for the entire month of August and they canceled schools due to the dangerous air quality. I had to wear a resparator at work to even go outside. I think this is something that is going to continually get worse in the Northwest due to climate change. Don't get me wrong, its still a lot better than living anywhere on the West side of the Cascades for the weather, unless you don't like snow and wind. Also keep in mind that much of eastern Washington is a desert.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-25-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Sunnyside.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyside-Washington.html

Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
Why would you have to go to Utah? Just hop over those mountains, Eastern WA is sunny.
Someone should have told Ninja the cat that before he traveled from Mill Creek all the way to Salt Lake City.

'Ninja' Kitty Makes Epic Journey Cat Returns To Utah From Seattle Suburb; But It Took A Year - Spokesman.com - June 6, 1997

Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
I've lived in both WA and FL. The rain here in western WA is completely different compared to FL. It doesn't ever really poor like it does in FL. It's more of a constant drizzle for weeks at a time in the winter and spring. The rain isn't really all that bad, it's the constant overcast grey sky that will break you, and it's not just in the winter or spring. It's not uncommon
to get overcast weather in the dead of summer in western WA. Honestly, I despise the summers more than the winter up here. I hate the fact that it's rarely warm enough to take your shirt off or be in the water. I wear a wet suit even in July when I kayak up here. A normal summer day is in the 70's with the wind whipping, and the sound is way too cold for swimming. Also, There's no beaches, the fishing up here is almost gone, and there is virtually no surf. If you plan on doing anything on the water, I would take up sailing.

Spokane has pretty nice weather in the summer, but I wouldn't want to live there.It's like the white trash mecca of the universe. LOTS of meth..........

Lot's of people from CA move up to WA to get away from what CA has turned into over the last 30 years, and they hate it after a few winters. My neighbor is one of those people. He has told me on more than one occasion that selling his house in San Jose was a mistake. He's told me that becoming a minority in CA was not as bad as the awful weather up here. If you're moving from FL for the same reason, I would think twice about it if I were you.
my 2 cents

Last edited by lucky4life; 04-25-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 02:47 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I don't mean to put a damper on your move but the winter in eastern Washington is almost as gray as being on the west side. In fact I think it is probably about the same with a little less rain and a lot more snow that the city of Wenatchee plows into the medians on the only road there. If you aren't used to dealing with below freezing temperatures for six months out of the year I would reconsider it. The locals claim that there are 300 days of sunshine a year here which is total nonsense. There is a weather formation that occurs here in winter known as inversion, which once it sets in the sky is grey for months. Maybe half the year is sunny and actually very nice but another thing to keep in mind is it is always windy here in the spring and fall, to the point of being annoying. Summer is short and lasts for about two or three months. I think this sunshine myth was made up by real estate agents to attract west siders over to enjoy the less gray skies they have. Defiantly not as sunny as anywhere in the southern states. Days are very short in the winter and you will usually go to work in the dark and get home in the dark. Also more recently summer forest fires have become quite a problem due to falling annual snow precipitation. Smoke fills the Central Valley and does not leave for weeks. A couple of summers ago it was unbearable to be outside for the entire month of August and they canceled schools due to the dangerous air quality. I had to wear a resparator at work to even go outside. I think this is something that is going to continually get worse in the Northwest due to climate change. Don't get me wrong, its still a lot better than living anywhere on the West side of the Cascades for the weather, unless you don't like snow and wind. Also keep in mind that much of eastern Washington is a desert.
Wow. You really don't like Wenatchee, yet you hate Western WA even more? How's that half-empty glass?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Wow. You really don't like Wenatchee, yet you hate Western WA even more? How's that half-empty glass?
I never said I didn't like Wenatchee. Just stating the facts people don't know about until they actually live here. What's wrong with that? Clearly most people can't handle the weather in Western Washington. Just wanted to call attention to the misinformation that real estate agents in the Central Valley give out to potential newcomers. If its so spectacularly sunny than why do they need to give out misinformation. Wenatchee gets less sun than the typical U.S. city stating otherwise would be incorrect. A simple inspection of the average weather in the Wenatchee area on City-Data.com will show you that Wenatchee is actually under the U.S. average for days of sunshine. Compare any city in the south to Wenatchee and you will easily see the difference. Very different climates. Hope this clears things up a bit. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I never said I didn't like Wenatchee. Just stating the facts people don't know about until they actually live here. What's wrong with that? Clearly most people can't handle the weather in Western Washington. Just wanted to call attention to the misinformation that real estate agents in the Central Valley give out to potential newcomers. If its so spectacularly sunny than why do they need to give out misinformation. Wenatchee gets less sun than the typical U.S. city stating otherwise would be incorrect. A simple inspection of the average weather in the Wenatchee area on City-Data.com will show you that Wenatchee is actually under the U.S. average for days of sunshine. Compare any city in the south to Wenatchee and you will easily see the difference. Very different climates. Hope this clears things up a bit. Thanks.
You have every right to your opinion, but you have to admit that your opinion is very pessimistic. As far as I could tell, you didn't give a single positive fact about Wenatchee.

Considering that the OP was asking about sunnier parts of Washington (not comparing Washington to Arizona, for example), the comparison of different regions in not helpful. Wenatchee does have considerably more sunny days than Seattle. And some of the facts that you did give are just petty and not relevant, such as "Days are very short in the winter and you will usually go to work in the dark and get home in the dark." - since Wenatchee is on just about the same latitude as Seattle and Spokane, the number of daylight hours is going to be almost exactly the same.

Unless your plan was to make Wenatchee sound bad, in order to discourage West-siders from moving over here. If that's the case, then I should just shut up and agree with you.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
You have every right to your opinion, but you have to admit that your opinion is very pessimistic. As far as I could tell, you didn't give a single positive fact about Wenatchee.

Considering that the OP was asking about sunnier parts of Washington (not comparing Washington to Arizona, for example), the comparison of different regions in not helpful. Wenatchee does have considerably more sunny days than Seattle. And some of the facts that you did give are just petty and not relevant, such as "Days are very short in the winter and you will usually go to work in the dark and get home in the dark." - since Wenatchee is on just about the same latitude as Seattle and Spokane, the number of daylight hours is going to be almost exactly the same.

Unless your plan was to make Wenatchee sound bad, in order to discourage West-siders from moving over here. If that's the case, then I should just shut up and agree with you.
No I really don't care if "West Siders", "Coasties" or any other people come to Wenatchee. I just think they should know insider information about the area before moving. I really didn't think the comment about the days being short was in anyway out of line or negative. If they don't want people moving to Wenatchee then why would this myth of "300 days of Sunshine" be so pervasive? I was one who fell for this before checking it out. Truthfully the Wenatchee area can have some of the best sunny weather in the country for a couple months of the year. This is due to the below average humidity found in the area year round. The low humidity is very nice. I brought Arizona into the conversation because somebody was comparing Tucson,AZ to Wenatchee, Wa. They were talking about the amount of annual rainfall, which was little misleading. Sure, Tuscon may get three inches more rain per year but they didn't mention that it can be quite overcast in Wenatchee for months on end. Also Tuscon, Az. is a city that actually gets "300 days of sunshine." I just wanted people to know that you will not experience Arizona conditions in the Northwest anywhere. The area is to far north to realistically get that amount of sunshine. This could effect someone who say moves to the area to garden in a greenhouse or depend on solar energy. Wenatchee is a beautiful city in one of the most scenic regions in the country. Hopefully it will remain that way. I for one just couldn't handle the winters there, it's too cold and gray for me.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-26-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,302 times
I read some earlier posts that were written a few years ago about the sunniest places to live in Wa- and laughed, long and hard. Sorry, but for person who posted a few years ago about Spokane Wa, writing as if it was some sunny, warm mecca, is flat out full of it or just stark raving nuts. There is a reason they call it the "Great Northwest." It takes a particular type of person to tough out the crazy, cold, dark and soaking wet winters. I know! A few years ago, after being "informed" about the great opportunities, the booming economy and fantastic weather from a family member who lived in Spokane Wa (whom I believed I could trust), I moved from sunny southern California to Spokane Washington. Where is Spokane Wa? It sits east of Seattle (where they supposedly get less rain and more sun- yeah right!). Maybe a bit less rain- but NOT more sun in the winter and certainly NOT less damp, with annoying, daily freezing drizzle. Actually- I'd rather live in an area with real rain, like Seattle than what I saw that one winter in depressing Spokane. It was flat out dreadful. Be prepared to see plenty of neighborhoods and homes around the Spokane area in disrepair. You will have to look long and hard and choose very carefully where you live. Even the nicest older neighborhoods that sit in the hills, near downtown Spokane, can be only a block or two away from Meth infested, white trash heaven. Fact- Be prepared NOT to see the sun for literally months on end. Yes, this lack of sunshine can play tricks on your body, mind and soul and can cause extreme depression. So, if you are already prone to depression or taking those anti-depressants before you move anywhere near this place- hope you understand that the great NW may not be the place for you. Fact- Be prepared to drive with your headlights on anywhere after 1-2 PM, for 4-5 months out of the year! Be prepared to feel dismayed for months on end, that your newly washed car- NEVER looks clean, as it has a constant layer of road dirt, sludge and damp dirty looking water dripping off of it. (This road sludge and filth also eats away at the under-carriage of your car.) And be prepared to deal with bitterly wet, yet freezing cold days, that bite at the marrow of your bones, leaving you to feel like you are never really dry or warm every time you step outside. And these dark dreary days, weeks and months will linger on and on- leaving you to feel as if you are living in eternal darkness. Question- Why do people who live up there, get so excited telling others about how awesome it is? IMO- Because the weather is actually SO bad for the majority of the year- they overstate the 3-4 months of actual nice, warm sunny weather that they have in the far too short summer and early fall! IMO- Many who live up there, have been up there for so long, they don't know nor remember what really GOOD weather is actually like- in other parts of the country! Hey, there are some people who actually like rain, foggy days and daily gloom. People like the vampires from "The Twilight" books. Yes! They actually filmed those movies in Wa! Gee... wonder why? Vampires don't like sun. Get it? As for me? Thankfully, my home in So Cal didn't sell in time- thank God! After 4 short months- I packed my bags and moved back home to California, considering my move to Washington an adventure and hard lesson learned. I will never move to the great NW again. I will NEVER forget how good it felt, driving down over the rain soaked mountains from Oregon and hitting the SUNSHINE in northern Ca! I will NEVER forget- flipping down my sun visor and smiling as I placed my freshly dusted off raybans over my squinting eyes. There are some things in life, that seem so small and insignificant. Yet, after living in the "great NW" make these small events seem so wonderful and large. I love my raybans. ;-D

Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaeyraud View Post
I read some earlier posts that were written a few years ago about the sunniest places to live in Wa- and laughed, long and hard. Sorry, but for person who posted a few years ago about Spokane Wa, writing as if it was some sunny, warm mecca, is flat out full of it or just stark raving nuts. There is a reason they call it the "Great Northwest." It takes a particular type of person to tough out the crazy, cold, dark and soaking wet winters. I know! A few years ago, after being "informed" about the great opportunities, the booming economy and fantastic weather from a family member who lived in Spokane Wa (whom I believed I could trust), I moved from sunny southern California to Spokane Washington. Where is Spokane Wa? It sits east of Seattle (where they supposedly get less rain and more sun- yeah right!). Maybe a bit less rain- but NOT more sun in the winter and certainly NOT less damp, with annoying, daily freezing drizzle. Actually- I'd rather live in an area with real rain, like Seattle than what I saw that one winter in depressing Spokane. It was flat out dreadful. Be prepared to see plenty of neighborhoods and homes around the Spokane area in disrepair. You will have to look long and hard and choose very carefully where you live. Even the nicest older neighborhoods that sit in the hills, near downtown Spokane, can be only a block or two away from Meth infested, white trash heaven. Fact- Be prepared NOT to see the sun for literally months on end. Yes, this lack of sunshine can play tricks on your body, mind and soul and can cause extreme depression. So, if you are already prone to depression or taking those anti-depressants before you move anywhere near this place- hope you understand that the great NW may not be the place for you. Fact- Be prepared to drive with your headlights on anywhere after 1-2 PM, for 4-5 months out of the year! Be prepared to feel dismayed for months on end, that your newly washed car- NEVER looks clean, as it has a constant layer of road dirt, sludge and damp dirty looking water dripping off of it. (This road sludge and filth also eats away at the under-carriage of your car.) And be prepared to deal with bitterly wet, yet freezing cold days, that bite at the marrow of your bones, leaving you to feel like you are never really dry or warm every time you step outside. And these dark dreary days, weeks and months will linger on and on- leaving you to feel as if you are living in eternal darkness. Question- Why do people who live up there, get so excited telling others about how awesome it is? IMO- Because the weather is actually SO bad for the majority of the year- they overstate the 3-4 months of actual nice, warm sunny weather that they have in the far too short summer and early fall! IMO- Many who live up there, have been up there for so long, they don't know nor remember what really GOOD weather is actually like- in other parts of the country! Hey, there are some people who actually like rain, foggy days and daily gloom. People like the vampires from "The Twilight" books. Yes! They actually filmed those movies in Wa! Gee... wonder why? Vampires don't like sun. Get it? As for me? Thankfully, my home in So Cal didn't sell in time- thank God! After 4 short months- I packed my bags and moved back home to California, considering my move to Washington an adventure and hard lesson learned. I will never move to the great NW again. I will NEVER forget how good it felt, driving down over the rain soaked mountains from Oregon and hitting the SUNSHINE in northern Ca! I will NEVER forget- flipping down my sun visor and smiling as I placed my freshly dusted off raybans over my squinting eyes. There are some things in life, that seem so small and insignificant. Yet, after living in the "great NW" make these small events seem so wonderful and large. I love my raybans. ;-D
Finally someone who tells it like it is. You can expect this type of weather throughout eastern Washington in the winter no matter where you are. I am not really sure why the amount of sunshine is so embellished. Once the inversion sets in, good bye Sunshine hello 6 hours of daylight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington