Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM

36 posts, read 123,469 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have been scouring the forums for the last month and value your opinions. Was hoping you could help in making our final decision.

We are a couple in our 40's currently living in Las Vegas, NV. The unemployment rate here in NV is 13%, so ANYWHERE is better than here! My fiance has been a journeyman carpenter for 22 years and I have worked in office management/admin for years. Our children are grown, but we currently have a 19 yo son living with us.(Good kid, doesn't get in trouble or use drugs, just having trouble finding a job also.) When we moved to Vegas 6 years ago, it was booming and we had no trouble finding work. He has now been laid off for just over 2 years and cannot find work. He has drove all over the valley and any carpentry jobs are filled by hispanics. Not being racist, but this is his observations from going on to job sites and speaking to workers and foremans trying to get a job. We were only staying here long enough for our youngest to graduate high school and now we want out. We are not desert people or big city people. He is a self-proclaimed "redneck" who enjoys hunting, camping, fishing and 4 wheeling. We have been debating different states with lower unemployment but really prefer the pacific northwest area. A friend he has known for many years returned home to Kelso (he grew up there) when he lost his job down here and got a job in a lumber mill.

My question is, based on the above info, any recommendations for cities/towns in WA? He tends to more impulsive and just want to pack up and move when we get our tax returns and when our boat sells. I like to do research and plan out the best move for our lifestyle, job situation, and cost of living. We prefer more small town, rural area, but willing to go anywhere there may be work. He is leaning towards Kelso/Longview/Vancouver area because of his friend, but I am not impressed by what I've read on here. I just want to live simply and be able to make enough money to support ourselves and work steadily. I am leaning more to towards the Centrailia area but can we support ourselves there? I have also been looking at Bellingham. Or possibly Oympia. We will probably come up, stay with our friend in Kelso and use that as a base to check out the areas, but any ideas you can give me on good locations would be a huge help. We will be looking to rent for the first year or 2 until we can get on our feet and get our credit back on track as we have really taken a beating on just trying to keep our head above water.

Also, after doing research, I've found that some places in WA have BSL (breed specific legislation) banning pit bulls. We have a 9 year old pit bull who has been with us since he was 8 weeks old. He is the biggest wussy dog I have ever seen who gets bossed around by my chihuahua mix, loves all people, including children, (he has been raised around 4) and just wants to be petted and cuddled. You would be in more danger of being licked to death. That being said, I understand there are idiot owners who have allowed the Pit Bull to get a bad name. Where ever we go would have to be at least tolerant of the breed.

Thank you for reading this long post. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by 2000dynasuper; 01-16-2012 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,785,316 times
For a mix of jobs and semi rural feeling, I would suggest Olympia but it's wet and overcast a large part of the year and that might be your biggest adjustment after Las Vegas. People from sunny climes frequently say it will be no problem but after a year or two, often change their minds because it gets to them. You may be challenged with finding a place to rent with a pit bull but I would think you might find something in the outlying areas on Craig's List.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,596,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000dynasuper View Post
... a self-proclaimed "redneck" who enjoys hunting, camping, fishing and 4 wheeling. We have been debating different states with lower unemployment but really prefer the pacific northwest area. A friend he has known for many years returned home to Kelso (he grew up there) when he lost his job down here and got a job in a lumber mill.

My question is, based on the above info, any recommendations for cities/towns in WA? ...We prefer more small town, rural area, but willing to go anywhere there may be work. ..... We will probably come up, stay with our friend in Kelso and use that as a base to check out the areas, but any ideas you can give me on good locations would be a huge help. We will be looking to rent for the first year or 2 until we can get on our feet and get our credit back on track as we have really taken a beating on just trying to keep our head above water.
First, best wishes on your successful transition.

Reading over your post a couple of times I think you might like the Maple Valley area, which is close enough to commute to higher population areas -- and still gets you away from the tighter regulations regarding your pit bull. It's also a gateway to wilderness areas around Mt. Rainier, and the starting point for many 4x4 groups.

Another area to consider is Marysville and that vicinity.

If you look to rent a house (rather than an apartment) you will have fewer issues with the dog.

Hope all goes well.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM

We actually love the wet weather. I know it will be an adjustment, but honestly the weather is the least of out concerns. Living in a sunny clime is not all it's cracked up to be. 6 months put of the year you can barely leave the comfort of your air conditioned house. Yes, its an exaggeration, but my point is adjustments are needed anywhere. We have talked about it and if we really can't stand it, we will look into the western part of the state, but because of our interests and lifestyle we would prefer the east and/or central.

Thank you for your reply, Olympia is one of the places I was looking at. Being that its the capital, I felt that there would be more job opportunities in construction. What is the economic climate there? I know a lot of areas in WA are depressed, so would like some place that is semi stable.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,785,967 times
Clark County just south of Kelso is booming. It is a Portland suburb. Kalama, Woodland, and other towns are located in between have been experiencing growth as well.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,785,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000dynasuper View Post
What is the economic climate there? I know a lot of areas in WA are depressed, so would like some place that is semi stable.
Olympia is fine, for now. If state govt. cuts back and Obama gets reelected and slashes the military as he is promising, then it could get nasty. With no more brewery here, we are very dependent on govt. and military.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Clark County just south of Kelso is booming. It is a Portland suburb. Kalama, Woodland, and other towns are located in between have been experiencing growth as well.
That is interesting... It is also the area my fiance is leaning towards with his friend living in Kelso. When you say booming, is there a lot of housing being built? Businesses? From what I have seen, the cost of living in that area seems to be very reasonable.

Thank you so much for your responses! The Maple Valley and Marysville area are worth checking into. Our 19 yo is leaning in that direction since it is closer to Seattle. He's a big city boy at heart and wherever we end up locating, I have a feeling he will be making his way there!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,892,720 times
Booming for Kelso and that area may not be what most people think of as booming if they are near a big city. Unemployment rate there is 12.7%, and the median household income is $35,000. It is affordable as most homes are 50 years old and no one has any money to pay more than about $150,000. The newer, bigger homes are in the $350-500,000 range much like Seattle area. The attraction there is being able to cross the Oregon border to avoid paying sales tax.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,921,858 times
I second Hemlock. I have in-laws in Clark County... my father in law works in construction and still has a hard time keeping a long term job. Others have to use connections just to get a job, but even then it still takes quite awhile. There just isn't that many to go around. Clark County was definitely booming before the downturn of economy. But unfortunately, they've anchor themselves to Portland. Portland historically always tank whenever there's a bad economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington