Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,001 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to washington this year and have been looking at the Marysville area. We still have 2 school age girls at home and are looking for nice family neighborhoods with good schools. I would love any feed back from people in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
Marysville is fine, it's a typical puget sound small city with lots of suburbs.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
I disagree. Marysville isn't that typical... for starters, there's the Indian Reservation right there (there is a thread on this forum that explain the caveats of buying a home on that Indian Reservation).

Not to mention, the schools are bad-- 2 of them been overtaken by the Federal Gov't. UPDATE | Federal government taking over two Marysville schools - seattlepi.com (You will note in that article it says that Marysville School District is among the poorest [financially] in the state.)

For that general area, I would suggest Lake Stevens. It has a decent school district and a good sense of community while retaining that small town/rural aspect.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM

101 posts, read 249,570 times
Lake Stevens is MUCH nicer than Marysville. Marysville has severe traffic problems. Our house there was less than 1 mile to the freeway but it sometimes took us 20 minutes just to get to the freeway. It takes 30 minutes to get to Everett on a good day and well over an hour to get to Seattle or the airport.

There is also a lot of crime, most of it drug related. Since the economy tanked there are more and more businesses going bust making the city look more and more rundown. There are panhandlers on many corners and you see homeless pretty frequently. They are mostly polite and seem to mind their own business but they are there.

I would never let my kids go to Marysville schools in spite of the fancy new High School with all of it's pretentious "academies." I can't speak for all of the day cares but the one near our house (part of a chain) lets the kids shriek all day long. I am not talking about children playing and yelling. I am talking about that high pitched shriek that makes your ears bleed. They do it all day long 5 days a week. From the moment they open, until they close at night. I work from home so I couldn't get away from it. I could hear it even with all of the doors and windows closed. I tried talking to the day care center and even called their corporate offices. I was told that they had a business license and so they could do whatever they wanted and tough luck to me. Nice neighborhood. Now, lest you think I hate children I've raised 3 of my own and 2 of my neighbors have small boys. I never hear these boys shriek like those kids at the day care. Even the churches near by don't let the kids at their daycare shriek like these. It's enough to make you hate children.

Lastly, being across from the reservation is a big issue. From the day they start selling fireworks over there until August you can count on hearing them every single night. The 4th of July is a nightmare of fireworks and sirens. On the 5th of July this year we picked up over 20 rockets that had landed in our yard (that isn't counting the number that landed on our roof) from our neighbors displays. It would have been nice of them to pick up their own garbage, but this is Marysville. We've had a truck stolen out of our driveway in the daylight, had someone throw a rock through the window of another car and had another car egged.

I think half of the people in our neighborhood right now are trying to move away and I would guess more would if they could afford it. We moved to Hawaii and good riddance! If I never see Marysville again, it will be fine with me.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,839 times
As a Marysville resident I can attest to the fact that there are areas of Marysville that are less desirable then others. Its almost block by block. If you live on the hill above Cedarcrest Golf Course or many areas in North Marysville you are normallly good. The 2 schools that were low scoring were on the reservation. The reservation is seperate entinty from Marysville proper. You just have to investigate the neighborhoods at different times of the day. Every town has it rough areas even Mill Creek has low income apartments .

Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
My family and I will be moving to North Marysville next year and I wanted to how the area is like the schools, daycare centers, and weather. Please give me some feedback; especially with the best daycare centers (private ones Or public ones, the ones that are (part of a chain) and the ones (that are Not part of a chain)) and elementary schools. Does anyone recommend certain daycare centers in this area? I see so many online as I am researching, but I don't know anything about the area so anything would help. Thank you so much for any advice

Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 209,472 times
I second the suggestion of Lake Stevens. Great small city, generally nicer and lower crime neighborhoods, lake access and awesome mountain views, and from what I'm told an awesome school district. If there's something specific about Marysville that you need to be near to, Lake Stevens is a 5-10 minute drive south.

Also, that's no joke about the reservation and July 4 noise... No joke at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington