Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 PM

39 posts, read 119,369 times

Advertisements

We are visiting NW Washington in the first part of September, around the 8th for approximately 8 days. I have such a long list of things I want to see, but I don't know if we'll have enough time to see them. We will fly into Seattle. I'm thinking if we land late morning and spend the rest of that day and the next day sightseeing there. Then I would really like to see Polouse Falls, but that may be too far out of the way. These are the other things I've looked up that look neat to see. If someone could tell me if this is too much to pack into 8 days, that would be helpful. Any other suggestions for places to see would help too. I'm an avid photographer, and me and my husband are in our late 40's, love the outdoors. Going mostly for scenery. Would love to try kayaking maybe too. Here's my long list.
Seattle -Space Needle, Kerry Park, Pike's Market
Polouse Falls?
Olympic Park
Rialto Beach
Second Beach
Lake Crescent
Hurricane Ridge
Port Townsend
Deception Pass
Chuckanut Drive
Boulevard Park (Fairhaven)
Cape Flattery
Cape Disappointment
Hoh Rainforest
Quinnault Rain Forest/Lake Quinnault
Port Angels
San Juan Islands
Whale watching *
Mt. Rainier
Mt. St. Helens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,791,756 times
I-5 North to Bellingham. Hit Fairhaven and drive down Chuckanut and veer west to Anacortes. Do San Juan stuff (kayaking, whale watching, etc.)
Back to Anacortes, down to Deception pass, take ferry to Port Townsend.
Get onto Highway 101 Counter clockwise, do Olympic National Park stuff: Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, Rialto OR second OR Cape Flattery...maybe not all 3, Hoh, Lake Quinalt (beautiful inn to stay in), and end up in Olympia. Hit Mt. Rainier. Back to Seattle. That's probably a good 8 days. If you need to save a day, cut out the Bellingham part and go right to the San Juans.

I'd cut out Cape Disappointment and Palouse Falls since they'll increase driving time so much without much added value. If you need falls, take a couple hours while in Seattle and drive out to Snoqualmie Falls.

If you can't live without going to Mt. St Helens, I'd suggest an alternate itinerary: Seattle to Olympia, to 101 South. Hit some Oregon coastline. Stay in Portland for a night or two, Columbia gorge waterfalls, Mt. St. Helens, Rainier, back to Seattle.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:38 AM

16 posts, read 37,844 times
Need falls? While in Bellingham visit Whatcom Falls Park. Then do the rest of the itinerary listed above.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Northwest intinerary

Thank you two for your help!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Vacation ideas for Northwest Washington

My husband and I are planning a vacation around the 8th of September for approximately 9 days. We will fly into Seattle. I have been trying to get an idea as to what is worth seeing and what is not. Some have said that Olympic National Park wouldn't be top on their list. We would definitely like to see Mt. Rainer and Mt. St. Helen's. I love photography, so waterfalls and the coastline would be priorities. We are in our late 40's traveling by ourselves. We love the outdoors and the scenery is mostly what we're looking for. Also the Columbia River Gorge looks worth seeing? We would also like to do orca whale watching and try kayaking. We are thinking about staying at cabins or bed and breakfasts. Could anyone give us ideas on what would be their top things to see or do.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,816 posts, read 58,384,592 times
I would head from the Airport to Leavenworth area, then north (Chelan / Twisp) and across the North Cascades Highway(good pics) to Bellingham, back down the inland WA coast to Whidbey Island, across to Port Townsend via Ferry(good pics). On around Olympic Pennisula then down to Oregon coast at least to hug point state park oregon - Google Search, (good pics)possibly to Tillamook. (lots of varied, but nice coastline (Sand, cliffs, driftwood, agates). Then to Portland for a day or night (Powell Books, microbrews, Ringside happy hour, parks)

East into Columbia Gorge via Old Scenic Highway (parallel to I-84) (good pics)at least to Hood River (coffee, microbrews, windsurfing, hiking), but Maryhill is preferred maryhill museum - Google Search

Back on WA side (can get to the back side of Mt St Helens (good pics) via Trout Lake WA (takes a whole day)) then stay in Packwood at the old Hotel, Up through Rainier Park (SE entrance)(good pics) , and out the SW entrance. Be sure to see this free stop danielklennert

Up through Olympia, WA to enjoy a very casual (and crunchy) capital city.
I would go from Tacoma (park at zoo is nice) to Bremerton & Poulsbo and back to Seattle (Hopefully you will see whales on one of the two ferry rides, otherwise, squeeze in a whale trip from Anacortes on your way to Whidbey. (I would probably avoid your San Juan trip; $$$ for limited value on a quick 'look / see' trip), and take a separate trip (a week) to the Canadian Gulf Islands and tour via sea kayak.)

Palouse Falls is a far distance, I think you will need to avoid, or drive out at night (from Maryhill), but I would consolidate this trip to western WA / OR.
Palouse Falls is very pretty (more water) as is local region Wheat Fields in May and June. Schedule a spring trip to that area.

I prefer to tour Seattle or any big city on a Sunday, as parking is usually free, traffic is light, and you can save a lot of time getting from place to place.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
If you like mountains and waterfalls, Olympic National Park has to be at the top of the list, above Rainier and St. Helens. Hurricane Ridge puts you level with the top of the Olympics, spectacular views, and not far away you can stop off at several great waterfalls such as Marymere Falls at Crescent Lake,
one of our favorites, about a 30 minute hike.

Also, there is a bunch of falls along the Columbia in northern Oregon, makes a great full-day drive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recr...Waterfalls.pdf

Oregon Waterfalls - Columbia Gorge

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,848,784 times
Bump San Juan Islands to the top of the list. I personally prefer Orcas Island, but they are all very nice. Make it an overnighter if not longer. Don't miss the tower at the top of Mt. Constitution in Moran State Park if you go, especially if you are there on a clear day. (There are even a couple of waterfalls on the island! Cascade Falls is the biggest on the island and is easy to get to. This is also in Moran State Park).

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks for all of your tips. I've been getting the maps and travel books out to try to set up our itinerary. It sure helps getting ideas from people who know. Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,140,926 times
As a 75+ year native of this state, here are my recommendations:
If you are an outdoorsperson, avoid as much of Seattle as you can, specially the Space Needle. You could spend your first day at the Pike Place Market and then maybe the Fisherman's Wharf and the Government Locks, that takes up Day One. Avoid Palouse Falls, that's on the East side of the State and too far. Seems to me you will want to take the Olympic National Park Loop Drive. That will take up Day Two and Three. From Port Angeles or Port Townsend, take a ferry to Victory B.C. Spend at least one day, Day Four, on Vancouver Island before catching a ferry at Victory that will take you through the San Jaun Islands ending in Anacortes. (An alternate route would be taking the ferry in Victory to Vancouver. Spend Day 5 in Vancouver and from there take I-5 back South, then take a trip up to Mt. Baker from Bellingham) This would be Day Six. Day Seven you could be back in Seattle, rest up, see more of Seattle like the Seattle Center, then Day Eight could be a day trip up to Paradise at Mt. Rainier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington