Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 AM

726 posts, read 1,377,988 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned Port Townsend being less sunny than Bellingham... I doubt that is true if you were to compare the entire year... I'd say they're pretty much the same. Port Townsend is on the edge of the "blue hole" (rain shadow)... you can google that and search city-data.com for more info. This is over-hyped by realtors and tourism groups but it is indeed a real phenomenon to keep in mind. If you don't need to find employment and don't mind being away from big box stores, you might look into further out on the Olympic Peninsula.... a place like Forks (of Twilight legend)... not much sun there at all but definitely beautiful and not far to beautiful beaches. You might also want to check out areas right on the coast in Oregon and far northern California (like Humboldt County).... if you live within a mile or two of the beach, you won't get a lot of UV sun, relatively speaking. In Humboldt, you'd also have the redwoods you could always retreat to if you want to spend some time outside on a sunny day..... and what a BEAUTIFUL retreat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 24,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauralei63 View Post
I am so glad I found this post! I have SLE and love on west Texas. The sun is doing me in! We are now thinking of moving to WA.
I was wondering if it helped by moving there?
Where are good cities for jobs?

What is your profession/what kind of job would you be looking for? That's going to dictate a lot of what areas are good places to look for work.

Somewhere like Bellevue/the east side is great if you're looking for tech jobs and higher end retail jobs. Tacoma and Everett are more blue collar and Seattle has more of the typical city jobs along with all kinds of artsy stuff.

I lived in Everett for a while and it had the marine layer all the time it seemed.

Actually looking at a map of uv index across the US Northern Wisconsin looks like it would be even lower than anywhere in the Seattle area.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:00 AM

268 posts, read 367,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Need less sun. Try Grays Harbor and area.
Grays Harbor County is "worth" mentioning thrice and more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post35141585

I must admit that Aberdeen didn't look depressing On May 7, 2014 as it was very sunny, and the city was seemingly improved.

It would take copious capital rather than sunshine to repair Hoquiam.

If you really don't want to see the sun very much, west of the Olympic Mountains is is where is the sun isn't often visible. (By experience, that would be from Neilton to Forks on US-101.)

Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 AM

536 posts, read 1,542,709 times
Portland, Oregon is often referred to as Poor Man's Seattle with it's lower cost of living and, yes, it does have frequent rain/cloud cover.....

Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 8,416,948 times
Note that the Northwest does get very long summer days, often clear and sunny, from June through early September. The longest day is 15:59.20 hours, with sunrise at 5:11am and sunset at 9:11pm, with civil twilight lasting until 9:52pm.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/...th=6&year=2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington