Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The last available seat on the bus was the one next to me, and people would stand rather than sit by me. I understood. No one was being deliberately unkind to me; it was just subconscious.
Interesting.

In Chicago, on the L, I was packed in like a sardine with all kinds of people. I didn't notice any subconscious racial spacing there.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Interesting.

In Chicago, on the L, I was packed in like a sardine with all kinds of people. I didn't notice any subconscious racial spacing there.
I didn't see it in the DC Metro, either. Just on the bus, which would fill up but not sardine-can style too often. I can see why not that many people were desperate to go to Silver Spring, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM

133 posts, read 253,026 times
Default It's NOT subconscious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
There's always subconscious racism. Some of it isn't maliciously meant. I rode many a bus in Seattle where the last available seat was next to a black person, and people stood rather than sit there. Then I went to DC, and for a week rode a bus on which I was the only white person. The last available seat on the bus was the one next to me, and people would stand rather than sit by me. I understood. No one was being deliberately unkind to me; it was just subconscious.
I was the consistently that black person on the Seattle bus no white person would sit beside. I shower everyday and use hair products with very little scent but Seattle whites didn't sit next to me 9/10 times, bus or light rail. That's intentional! You're another white lying to yourself because the truth is ugly - Seattle IS anti black. Also, Seattle blacks earn $3K less than the avg US black, wtf?! Higher cost of living but lower pay tells me that I'm unwanted in the PNW.

And because I'm the curious type, once I sat next to the prettiest white female I could find on the bus just to see what her reaction would be. I wasn't disappointed, she got up to stand the remaining of the ride. Yup, all this bs occurred in Seattle. It taught me "liberals" are just as racist as others.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Seattle is colorblind in a professional setting. There may be some shock that you're black in a sea of white, but after awhile people forget what you look like. But it's that way everywhere. Seattle racism plays out in it's classism. Majority black neighborhoods are often considered dangerous, when they're often not. Many people who say this are white who have never been to these neighborhoods.

You'll find less racism on the East Side like Bellevue. People are too busy making money to worry about the color of your skin. As long as you can talk dollars, no one will care. Bellevue reminds me most of the East Coast. Seattle is less inclusive.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Are you a child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
it would really, really surprise me if racism does exist in Whatcom or in Seattle.
I can't believe an adult would write something so naive! While walking alone in Capitol Hill, suddenly I hear annoying car lock sounds from people inside their residence. Some are loud and startle. That's racist abuse black men deal with everyday. Once I decided to give the middle finger to the next hater using this racist tactic and it turned out to be a police officer. Yup, even the police lock their cars when a black guy walks past. I wasn't sure if he was going to arrest me or not so I picked up my pace and turned at the next block. The point of my story, if you're black, carry beats earbuds everywhere in Seattle.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
I was the consistently that black person on the Seattle bus no white person would sit beside. I shower everyday and use hair products with very little scent but Seattle whites didn't sit next to me 9/10 times, bus or light rail. That's intentional! You're another white lying to yourself because the truth is ugly - Seattle IS anti black. Also, Seattle blacks earn $3K less than the avg US black, wtf?! Higher cost of living but lower pay tells me that I'm unwanted in the PNW.

And because I'm the curious type, once I sat next to the prettiest white female I could find on the bus just to see what her reaction would be. I wasn't disappointed, she got up to stand the remaining of the ride. Yup, all this bs occurred in Seattle. It taught me "liberals" are just as racist as others.
In my experience of visiting Seattle and knowing black people there (I'm black too) a lot of blacks try to make things more than what they are. I'm from the south and things like this make me chuckle. It a lot worse in the south, not having someone sit beside you is a lot better than looking at a white manager as he compares you to another white employee during an interview. Try not being able to live somewhere and knowing because you're black you're EXPECTED to live in certain areas and not to roam or even dream of living in certain neighborhoods. Not only that but let's throw in some statues of Confederate soldiers in a few neighborhoods just to make sure you know your place. Where I am from there are "black" stores then there are white stores. You have the older Walmart all the blacks go to with tiles missing and scuffed up floors then you have the brand new Walmart on the other side of town complete with x y and z restaurants inside. Black areas are rundown POS and even worse genration from generation you're taught to like it and be happy for what you have. These are the things that are truly based on segregation and racial undertones. I've never lived in Seattle or stayed longer than a week but I do live in Washington and just because people don't kiss your feet doesn't make them anywhere near as bad as the south is. I wish all blacks in the PNW could spend 2 years in the south just to see what it is like outside of the bubble. Because there are less blacks in the PNW you guys have it good, more whites means the standards will be a lot higher and you're there to take advantage of all the opportunities. At least you have white girls on your bus because where I'm from its all black. Blacks stick with blacks and whites stick with whites. Prison rules in the capital city. The only exception are the areas where EVERYONE is poor. I hated that to no end. Not just whites ignoring blacks but blacks shutting themselves out also. Even in grade school you knew better than to mix because you're completely brainwashed by then. You think it's bad having people lock their cars when you're around? I went to a college for a semester on "the white side of town" and would constantly come out of class with $200 tickets on my windshield for bogus claims. I have literally seen security measure the distance of my tires form the line with a ruler.. At this campus. On the black side of town the education. Is not so great. The mentality is that since we're all black we can slack up a bit here and there and talk about "beats" or becoming a producer. I can't tell you how much that irritated me to no end, all the black males want to be a rap producer..no other goals in life likely because there aren't resources there like in Seattle. I was very relieved to visit Seattle and I didn't care about being the only black person doing this or that I was noticing how clean and beautiful the city was for EVERYONE to access. If you don't like Seattle then I challange you to visit a city in the deepest parts of the south.

Last edited by Anders15; 09-05-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 AM

Default I Should Have Had Lower Expectations for Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
In my experience of visiting Seattle and knowing black people there (I'm black too) a lot of blacks try to make things more than what they are. I'm from the south and things like this make me chuckle. It a lot worse in the south, not having someone sit beside you is a lot better than looking at a white manager as he compares you to another white employee during an interview. Try not being able to live somewhere and knowing because you're black you're EXPECTED to live in certain areas and not to roam or even dream of living in certain neighborhoods. Not only that but let's throw in some statues of Confederate soldiers in a few neighborhoods just to make sure you know your place. Where I am from there are "black" stores then there are white stores. You have the older Walmart all the blacks go to with tiles missing and scuffed up floors then you have the brand new Walmart on the other side of town complete with x y and z restaurants inside. Black areas are rundown POS and even worse genration from generation you're taught to like it and be happy for what you have. These are the things that are truly based on segregation and racial undertones. I've never lived in Seattle or stayed longer than a week but I do live in Washington and just because people don't kiss your feet doesn't make them anywhere near as bad as the south is. I wish all blacks in the PNW could spend 2 years in the south just to see what it is like outside of the bubble. Because there are less blacks in the PNW you guys have it good, more whites means the standards will be a lot higher and you're there to take advantage of all the opportunities. At least you have white girls on your bus because where I'm from its all black. Blacks stick with blacks and whites stick with whites. Prison rules in the capital city. The only exception are the areas where EVERYONE is poor. I hated that to no end. Not just whites ignoring blacks but blacks shutting themselves out also. Even in grade school you knew better than to mix because you're completely brainwashed by then. You think it's bad having people lock their cars when you're around? I went to a college for a semester on "the white side of town" and would constantly come out of class with $200 tickets on my windshield for bogus claims. I have literally seen security measure the distance of my tires form the line with a ruler.. At this campus. On the black side of town the education. Is not so great. The mentality is that since we're all black we can slack up a bit here and there and talk about "beats" or becoming a producer. I can't tell you how much that irritated me to no end, all the black males want to be a rap producer..no other goals in life likely because there aren't resources there like in Seattle. I was very relieved to visit Seattle and I didn't care about being the only black person doing this or that I was noticing how clean and beautiful the city was for EVERYONE to access. If you don't like Seattle then I challange you to visit a city in the deepest parts of the south.
Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Seattle is a "liberal" major city with hopes of becoming a world class city and high expectations come with that. I don't believe your southern city has Seattle's expectations; apple vs orange. I have lived in Dallas (not deep south but TX is stuck on stupid in many ways) and had a successful career earning over $50K at a Fortune 20 company. After moving to Seattle, a city with 5% unemployment, I had to wait nearly a year for an offer and salary was barely $35K. Extremely higher cost of living but much lower pay - this isn't liberating, it's psychological devastation. Talking with other disgruntled college educated blacks at WorkSource confirmed what I was feeling - the Seattle workplace isn't black friendly. I have hostile racial stories - was called n***er on public transport (this never happened in Dallas), witnessed black women being called racial slurs downtown, and other ugly incidents that deeply disappointed me. There's just not much grace or consideration/sensitivity for the black minority and this is expected in a major liberal city. Is there a more liberal/free thinking state than WA? Let me know and I'll go there.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post

In the first place, I was simply drawing a comparison between sitting on buses based on my experience. I didn't really stop and think about it until I found myself in a similar position. In the second, I sat down plenty of times next to people who were black, white, or whatever color, and didn't give a rip about that, and I sure didn't huff anyone's hair. In the third, I'm not here to mount a racial defense of Seattle's overall climate (I last lived there in 1997), and to single me out as if I were isn't real fair on your part. In the fourth, you're attaching way too much to a stupid political label that doesn't even really mean anything but a voting faction. Any fool knows that prejudice and bigotry exist across domestic political voting lines.

And in the fifth, for an example from my own history, I'm someone who used to babysit for the only black family in a tiny Washington town (happened to be our neighbors). One day I caught two of them trying to use their mom's makeup to paint themselves white. I headed for the yard faucet with a child under each arm, made them hose that crap off their faces, and firmly told them never to be ashamed of who they were. No, I don't want a medal for it; I'm just telling you so that you realize a little about this 'white lying to myself' you have judged rather quickly. Of the three, one is now a professor at Cornell; one an EE at Intel; one a nurse in the Portland area. Proud to know them, and proud of what they have achieved on their own merits. So, frankly, you can take your anger and tone directed toward me (who was never in a position to hire or not hire you) and shove them, because I'm not your enemy and I don't have that coming.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
As a black man, I made damn good money in Seattle. I never noticed any mistreatment from anyone there. I'm not going to say I believe that Seattle is great to black people. But I don't think there is disdain for a black man in Seattle. And I'm unmistakably black. I'm not high yellow, I'm so dark I'm blue. I think it's all about how you carry yourself. I made a hefty 6 figure salary in Seattle, and I'm not considering if I should come back because Amazon really wants to interview me.

What Seattle is missing is a noticeable black middle class. If you're black and in Seattle, you're usually low income. This is the issue with Seattle. The blacks are put comfortably in ghettos, and given government benefits. I have never seen a government handout mentality as strong as I've seen in Seattle's lower class population. Poor people in Seattle are so mentally poor, it's disgusting. I've never seen anything like it anywhere I've been. I've met a lot of whites just living off the government here too. They're almost identical in mindset to the blacks. The entitlement mentality amongst the poor is simply hideous. Washington state is so relentless with their tax and spend agenda, you aren't going to see reform in this anytime soon.

Personally it only took me to hang out in Seattle a few months to get sick of it, and keep in Bellevue where there is a good and mature professional class. And again, besides some snooty blond waitresses I've met at some establishments in Lincoln Square, people never treated me drastically different out there. It's no secret, I love the vibe of Bellevue more, and it just feel more varied and diverse than Seattle proper.

I don't think Seattlelites have it out for blacks. I just think they're so smug and convinced they're liberal nonsense is working, that they cant be bothered to create the necessary separation between head and ass. It's not that Seattle race relations are horrible, it's just that the people are so myopic, that they can't see the classism issue plaguing their city. Right now it's under control, but it won't always be. Now for me, I'm an engineer, cut my teeth in other cities on the East Coast, so in Seattle I'm always going to be alright. I have money in my pocket, and a decent job of I'm in town, so I'm going to naturally be treated a certain type of way. I can tell you Bellevue just doesn't have those hangups, it's more about how productive you are out there.

I find people in Bellevue refreshing in how much more grounded they are than Seattle. I'll pay whatever I need to pay to dwell in Bellevue, and not be bothered by the pretentious homogenous yuppies across the lake.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Default It Makes Sense Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
As a black man, I made damn good money in Seattle. I never noticed any mistreatment from anyone there. I'm not going to say I believe that Seattle is great to black people. But I don't think there is disdain for a black man in Seattle. And I'm unmistakably black. I'm not high yellow, I'm so dark I'm blue. I think it's all about how you carry yourself. I made a hefty 6 figure salary in Seattle, and I'm not considering if I should come back because Amazon really wants to interview me.

What Seattle is missing is a noticeable black middle class. If you're black and in Seattle, you're usually low income. This is the issue with Seattle. The blacks are put comfortably in ghettos, and given government benefits. I have never seen a government handout mentality as strong as I've seen in Seattle's lower class population. Poor people in Seattle are so mentally poor, it's disgusting. I've never seen anything like it anywhere I've been. I've met a lot of whites just living off the government here too. They're almost identical in mindset to the blacks. The entitlement mentality amongst the poor is simply hideous. Washington state is so relentless with their tax and spend agenda, you aren't going to see reform in this anytime soon.

Personally it only took me to hang out in Seattle a few months to get sick of it, and keep in Bellevue where there is a good and mature professional class. And again, besides some snooty blond waitresses I've met at some establishments in Lincoln Square, people never treated me drastically different out there. It's no secret, I love the vibe of Bellevue more, and it just feel more varied and diverse than Seattle proper.

I don't think Seattlelites have it out for blacks. I just think they're so smug and convinced they're liberal nonsense is working, that they cant be bothered to create the necessary separation between head and ass. It's not that Seattle race relations are horrible, it's just that the people are so myopic, that they can't see the classism issue plaguing their city. Right now it's under control, but it won't always be. Now for me, I'm an engineer, cut my teeth in other cities on the East Coast, so in Seattle I'm always going to be alright. I have money in my pocket, and a decent job of I'm in town, so I'm going to naturally be treated a certain type of way. I can tell you Bellevue just doesn't have those hangups, it's more about how productive you are out there.

I find people in Bellevue refreshing in how much more grounded they are than Seattle. I'll pay whatever I need to pay to dwell in Bellevue, and not be bothered by the pretentious homogenous yuppies across the lake.
Very well stated and I'm happy for you, brotha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington