Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Washington Relax its Building Height Limitations?
Yes. Bring on the density. 51 36.69%
No. Preserve the views of the U.S. Capitol. 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Capitol Building or soulless 40 story office tower?

Hmmm...that's tough.
Agreed. How many other places in the US have that European type skyline that DC has? Not many. I think it's gorgeous. You want tall buildings? All you have to do is look across the river into Rosslyn. I think that actually looks pretty nice. You have the nice and unique city of DC, but have the skyscrapers in the background. Kind of get the best of both worlds. Like others suggested, skyscrapers in Upper NE DC wouldn't be bad. I personally think these old rowhomes look so much nicer than huge apartment buildings, but in the outer edges of DC, it doesn't matter as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,257 times
Default I've got your answer

Quote:
To those of you opposed to ever relaxing the height restrictions, what are your alternative suggestions on how to mitigate this region's horrific urban sprawl issues? Eventually if the traffic becomes so congested and housing prices become so unattainable in the region...
Housing prices unattainable in the region? I can't even count the number of houses in my neighborhood available and affordable for you to move into, all you would need is a little Home Depot help.

There is so much more sprawl that can occur in DC before you need to worry about building up, it's not even funny. Just because people are scared to move one block too far East from Logan Circle does not mean there isn't affordable housing in DC.

People need to stop being scared of moving a few inches outside their comfort zone...a.k.a. building upwards in the "safe" areas...and work together to make their neighborhoods nicer.

When the whole city is as safe and cozy as Georgetown, I will be happy to revisit this issue.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Very interesting topic. I never knew DC had restriction. Maybe some park n rides in VA & Maryland would help the situation. There are way too many cars on the roads....plus maybe Metrorail should be expanded a bit.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,403,646 times
I don't know if skyline density would make any difference. What I've never understood is why the city didn't use eminent domain to remove 16th street and put a super highway there instead, leading from Maryland to downtown. That would relieve so many problems.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM

228 posts, read 460,574 times
Washington D.C needs skyscrapers. It is that simple. The zoning laws make it seem like D.C is in Europe. In fact, Europe is better than D.C.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM

187 posts, read 351,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I don't know if skyline density would make any difference. What I've never understood is why the city didn't use eminent domain to remove 16th street and put a super highway there instead, leading from Maryland to downtown. That would relieve so many problems.
Actually the relief would come from putting a toll booth at the intersection of 16th street and Eastern Avenue. Charge $20 to pass south.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Oh my. That's perhaps the most dangerous suggestion I've ever heard! City planners learned the hard way that plowing highways through cities was the worst idea they ever had.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Oh my. That's perhaps the most dangerous suggestion I've ever heard! City planners learned the hard way that plowing highways through cities was the worst idea they ever had.
Well, having no highways leading into a city doesn't work too well either. Between all those circles and the lack of even one highway coming into the city to relieve congestion, DC has the the most dysfunctional road system in our nation. It's time for DC to decide whether it wants to continue stifling development in favor of quaintness.

Last edited by stars99; 02-05-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM

I was thinking about it, and I've come up with a series of steps the city of DC must take soon if it wants to become a world class business center. Otherwise, it will continue to be like some quaint prehistoric insect trapped in amber in a museum while some edge city in VA or MD overtakes it:

1. At least one real highway going into the city that can handle a large volume of traffic and ease congestion.

2. Metro is better than it used to be, but it's still more of a showpiece than an efficient public transportation system. It needs to make the following changes:
a. hire more elevator repairman so that elevators not constantly broken
b. tear out seats and put just two rows of seats facing each other, to fit more passengers on trains
c. Dump the current pricing system. Raise the price and have just one price for any trip. This will make things so much simpler, and cut down the queues at the machines. The current system is too confusing for tourists.
d. Create a new metro card that's more durable and doesn't get demagnetized as easily.
e. Create more metro stops. There needs to be at least a stop in Georgetown and palisade.
f. Change the card system so that you only need to put the card in once, when you enter the system.
g. Improved safety training so that there are less train crashes and other incidents.
h. connect the suburban metro stops to each other better. You should be able to take the metro from silver spring to nearby bethesda without riding through 30 stops first.

3. Improve customer service. Right now too many employees with a surly attitude at stores, and generally slow service. Customer service in DC needs to be brought up to the level of the rest of the country.

4. Experiment with removing the building height restriction in just one area of the city to see how it goes.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM

123 posts, read 246,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Indeed. Look what it did to the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: