Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,899,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsap View Post
Thanks for the link and blessing! To be fair to PA, I have been very bad at following thru with appointments to see if I can qualify. I did follow through once and was denied, but was told that often happens 1st time. But every time I've had another appointment, I miss them. I believe mostly because I am discouraged and I don't trust the doctors, so I am not honest with them about the severity of my symptoms. Only my (on again/off again) therapist really gets my honest assessment, and my original doctor. It's self-defeating, I know, but I guess I also want (need?) to prove that I can overcome this without pills, without SSI. I've already beaten the odds in many ways and I guess I just feel I can beat this illness.
I dm'd you..

ps: you don't "beat" a chronic illness like yours. You learn to live with it day to day (which sounds rough but isn't that bad most days if you have a good system going with your shrink). Go to your appointments!
Blessings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 PM

104 posts, read 253,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsap View Post
Sounds like you are telling me to keep my crazy ass out of DC. No offense, but I am not coming to DC just to be homeless. That's why I am seeking assitance before relocating, so that I have a plan that can sustain me until I get a job. To be blunt, I don't care why or how other's go to DC. I want to be there because I feel emotionally secure there, thus I believe I will be happier, thus stronger. And while I am open about my illness in this forum, I don't plan on announcing my illness to every stranger I pass. If you met me you'd have no idea for months (maybe years) that I suffer PTSD. At most, you might think me prone to depression at times. You would have no idea that I am insomniac due to my nightmares; or that I am afraid to cross bridges, that I literally cringe when I have to cross the street; that I have trust issues, sometimes anger issues and fears of dying violently. You would see a smiling young man, an intelligent young man and you would be surprised I didn't have it all together. I work hard to stand out as little as possible. I fit in just about everywhere I go. So either we're all crazy or I am not as crazy as you assumed.

If you didn't intend to be offensive, just know I did not intend to be defensive. But it sounds very much like you are urging me to be someone else's problem, and I can assure you, I am no one's problem but my own. I am one of the most constructive people you could have the pleasure to meet: I give more than I take. I'm only temporarily down; I refuse to fall completely. This is my attempt to stand on my own two feet once more. And when I am finally standing, I want to be standing in DC.

Thanks for your input.
Hey, no offense or defense taken.

I was trying to get across the idea that DC is both expensive and can be not especially welcoming.

I had a close relative who suffered from similar issues and who was convinced that New York was the only place for him. Over the course of 10 years he blew through all of his funds, much money from other relatives and friends, continued to downscale (he too had to be by himself), and refused to consider a Plan B. When all the resources were gone and there was no place else to go things ended very very badly for him. Not that you are him, but I am simply putting out the idea of being flexible when considering a place to move. If DC is where you need to be, give it a go. Just don't forget there are other places out there if the shining city on a hill turns out to be a bit tarnished.

Luck and peace to you.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM

14 posts, read 29,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDC View Post
I am simply putting out the idea of being flexible when considering a place to move. If DC is where you need to be, give it a go. Just don't forget there are other places out there if the shining city on a hill turns out to be a bit tarnished.

Luck and peace to you.
Thanks, I think devising a Plan B is a great idea. My one friend thinks going to DC is "stupid" (his word) and thinks I will be miserable there too and he says I'll be welcome to stay with him when my venture fails (so much for moral support). So that can be the default Plan B.

But I'll look into other ideas, too

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
I'm on SSDI and live in a "income challenged" apartment in Gaithersburg, MD. My wife works, but our income together is too low or a regular apartment. I could see this area working for you. People on these forums always look down on lower income communities, but this one is good. We're close to some stores, and Ride-on bus service is very good for getting to other stores or places. One bus ride to Metro and you have access to DC. This is not the only commkunity like this, but it couild work for you. DM me for any info. No, I do not work for anyone, so this is not an ad. Search my posts to see that I just like to help.

By the way, I like your screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC