Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times

Advertisements

What has happened at WTGB - 94.7 The Globe? Has there been a change of format? They seem to have gone back to a limited "classic rock" satellite feed. Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
What has happened at WTGB - 94.7 The Globe? Has there been a change of format? They seem to have gone back to a limited "classic rock" satellite feed. Is it just me?
It's not just you. DCRTV was reporting on this earlier this month:

dcrtv.com - washington dc/baltimore area radio/tv/media

Scroll down the page or search for "94.7 Back to Classic Rock".

I think it's a shame, because I did like their mix, but I will just go back to listening to more XM instead.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks pcity - great web site. Yea, that's sad. I will greatly miss Albie Dee and The 80's Rewind show as well as Little Steven's Underground Garage

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
That sucks! Honestly, what is with DC stations? It's so hard for me to find something that consistently plays what I used to consider the "basics" (i.e. top 40, alt rock, pop-y stuff like B101).

Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Actually, I think the basics is something DC radio does well at:

(assuming you're from Philly since you referenced B101)

Top 40 like Q102 = Hot 99.5
Alt. Rock like the old Y100 = DC 101
Adult Pop like B101 = WASH 97.1 and Mix 107.3

What's missing from DC radio is the stations that go beyond the basics, like Philly's WXPN, for instance. 94.7 The Globe was starting to be that kind of station, the station where you'd hear something really out-of-the-ordinary, but they got chicken and went back to the Classic Rock format, which is odd because that format never got them ratings in the past, and Big 100.3 plays mostly Classic Rock anyway.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Actually, I think the basics is something DC radio does well at:

(assuming you're from Philly since you referenced B101)
Yeah, I kind of gave that one away. It's true that there are similar stations, but there have been plenty of times when I (and some of my friends) turn on the radio and just go "wtf is that?!" to almost every station. They have general guidelines, but sometimes just go off into things that we've not only never really heard of but things we couldn't even classify. I haven't listened to Q102 in years, so it could be more similar to 99.5 than I remember. I didn't know of DC 101, I'll have to give that one a try (thanks for the listing, by the way).

I'm still lamenting the loss of Y100....a tragedy...

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

282 posts, read 873,470 times
Up on the north side of town you can pick-up (sometimes) WRNR (103.1) out of Annapolis. Not as "alt" as it used to be a few years ago, but it's my go-to on the way to the beach.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
Up on the north side of town you can pick-up (sometimes) WRNR (103.1) out of Annapolis. Not as "alt" as it used to be a few years ago, but it's my go-to on the way to the beach.
Yeah I'm a fan of WRNR. Comes in occasionally at my place in Alexandria, but reception is a bit inconsistent. I do listen on the way to the beach though.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Everything evolves. Sometimes as the result of money, rather than genetic mutations. I don't know why RNR never sought out a sister station or antenna space or some other way to get an actual signal into NoVa. Would have done wonders for their ad rates, I would have thought, but I don't know the radio business. The RNR operation of course traces its roots back to the glory days -- the original WHFS (broadcasting live from high atop the Triangle Towers Building in beautiful downtown Bethesda, Maryland) which was one of the premier progressive music stations in the country in the 1970's and 80's. Brainchild of the late Jake Einstein. Cerphe and Weasel, both now at 94.7 I think, were there from way back. Weasel as I recall actually started as the engineer for Murray The K doing the morning show after being an AM Top 40 legend at 1010-WINS in New York. Cerphe had the late evening shift, right after Jake Einstein's son, Damien, who is still far and away the best DJ I've ever heard. They both had theme songs that both opened and closed their shows. Those tunes became as comfortable and familiar as an old pair of slippers. Cerphe's was the Stones' instrumental
2120 South Michigan Avenue
. Damien of course was a bit more eclectic, using Ambrose Thibodeaux's absolutely iconic version of (Le) Two-Step de Platin. Amazingly, there is a 30-second sample of it on the web. Scroll down the page and click the link. Wow! Anyway, those really were the days as far as great music in the DC area goes. It's kind of a shame that those of us in NoVa don't really get to listen to the 4th or 5th or whatever generation descendant of all that...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
... Weasel as I recall actually started as the engineer for Murray The K doing the morning show after being an AM Top 40 legend at 1010-WINS in New York. Cerphe had the late evening shift, right after Jake Einstein's son, Damien, who is still far and away the best DJ I've ever heard. They both had theme songs that both opened and closed their shows. Those tunes became as comfortable and familiar as an old pair of slippers ...
Thanks saganista, for those great stories. I still have two tee shirts from WHFS 102.3 FM. Regular listeners enjoyed the eclectic and mellow programing which also included every aspect including commercials. Occasionally there would be a very "outside" mainstream commercial with a loud or jarring voice over or music. Cerphe and the others would preface the commercial with the words "brace yourself"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC