Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,659 times

Advertisements

How bad is the crime that's being reported on the news accurate. Is it that bad nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 08:44 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
It's not city wide and primarily driven in very poor neighborhoods in the Southeast and parts of Northeast, areas I wouldn't suspect you should worry about on a personal level day to day.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:29 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Homicides, robberies and GTAs are up significantly this year. Of course, homicides are pretty rare in the downtown area and the traditional upscale residential neighborhoods in NW. Robberies more common downtown but still rare in the aforementioned nice residential areas. Auto theft however is up citywide pretty much and can happen anywhere.

While crime overall is far more common in ungentrified, impoverished areas, it's certainly up and a real presence in gentrified areas that are in relatively close proximity to those crime-ridden neighorhoods.

In other words, if you live in the Palisades or Foxhall it's not really anything to worry about, if you live in Anacostia or Brentwood you know what the score is, but if you're in a place like Navy Yard, Shaw, Capitol Hill or Adams Morgan, well it's gonna be closer to home than you'd like given how much you're probably paying for your home.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I got mugged once in D.C., and almost mugged two other times. And this was years ago when crime wasn't as bad as it is now. FWIW, I'm a street smart guy who has lived in Harlem, the Tenderloin, New Orleans (that's the Olympics of crime in that city) and lots of other places where you needed to have your wits about you.

If it could happen to me, it could definitely happen to just about anyone. Go to Neighborhood Scout and ck out their crime statistics for different cities some time. There are good, bad and worse places in D.C., my successful mugging happened in Dupont Circle, which is a "safe" area.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:07 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
I've heard Chinatown is getting worse.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:06 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Carjackings have become a huge issue: https://www.fox5dc.com/news/rise-in-...ice-data-shows

Old 11-30-2023, 12:25 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I've heard Chinatown is getting worse.
Don't you live there in Penn Quarter?

Old 12-03-2023, 05:58 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Petty crime is up. My car got broken into in Dupont Circle. Which I wouldn’t have expected.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Don't you live there in Penn Quarter?
I live in CityCenter. I don't spend much in Chinatown even though its a few blocks away.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:12 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not city wide and primarily driven in very poor neighborhoods in the Southeast and parts of Northeast, areas I wouldn't suspect you should worry about on a personal level day to day.

Maybe homicides are fairly concentrated. But, muggings, carjackings, harassment, break-ins are pretty widespread across the city. Shootings are pretty common in the areas that saw lots of development over the past 15 years (the Green line neighborhoods from Petworth down to Navy Yard, H Streets, areas around NoMa). The odds of being a victim of crime is pretty low on any given day. But, you definitely have to be more aware of your surroundings in DC than in other most other places. Obviously lots of people live there and tolerate it as an acceptable trade off for more positive aspects of DC living. But, I'm definitely more cautions in DC than NYC or most other walk-able urban cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC