Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,474 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bowie, 9 years ago just after my 18th birthday I moved away, first to LA and then to Austin where I’ve been for the last 6 years. For a variety of reasons I’ll be moving back in with my parents for awhile and I am planning on staying in the area to be close to then, currently they live in Olney. Growing up I remember almost all of the adults in my life either worked for the government in some capacity or in some job related to the government, I don’t and although I wouldn’t say I’m not political, mainstream US politics are not my thing. DC has a reputation for being filled with really ambitious, careerist people whereas I’m really the opposite of that, that isn’t to say I’m not ambitious but I’m a musician first and foremost but I do also work remotely, and generally of a work to live rather than live to work persuasion — unconcerned with status, networking and social climbing and I am just concerned that it will be particularly difficult for me to meet people; more so than it already is for any adult who works from home.

A little about me — 27, male, recently single, gay, really into live music, contemporary art, dive bars, independent films, I have a vespa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 06:54 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
There is a creative class in DC but don't think its necessarily your vibe based on your self description which comes across more urban and much less "art snob". Olney isn't far from Baltimore which I feel probably fits your aesthetic far greater than DC. Check out Charles Village and Highlandtown.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:26 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
I imagine your best bet would be the scene around some of the big colleges here. It's difficult to imagine there's a big university in this day and age where a gay communist artist wouldn't find a social circle. Sure, you'd be a little older than the undergrads, but there's always the grad students.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:28 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,170 times
DC is a melting pot so anyone can fit it. I lived in DC for 8 years and never came across the highly ambitious types some people mention. I find most government employees not to be ambitious at all. People in DC will tell you they're ambitious but in all reality they put in their 8 hours or less and head to happy hour with friends. Reading the kind of person you claim to be, you will fit in just fine in DC.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:51 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Baltimore is a good option for you but also for DC I’d look in petworth, Park View, Brightwood, Brightwood Park, Shaw, Columbia Heights, Adam’s Morgan, Logan Circle DuPont, Anacostia, parts of NE. Avoid Navy Yard and Foggy/West End.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:02 AM

Navy Yard has a lot going on so not sure you're saying to avoid it. Foggy Bottom/West End does suck though.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:11 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Well, I don't think Navy Yard is the vibe OP is looking for. It's all new developer-driven gentrification with new apartment complexes and fairly generic retail & hospitality options aiming at the professional D.C. crowd. Of course between late March and early September you also get a ballpark crowd like 4 days a week on average which makes the vibe even more 'bro'-like on those days.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:51 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Navy Yard has a lot going on so not sure you're saying to avoid it. Foggy Bottom/West End does suck though.
I like navy yard but based on the OP’s wishes it wouldn’t be the best place for him. It’s very transient, not super artsy, more hetero oriented, more of a frat bro/newly grad vibe, less diverse than much of NW, etc. I know a lot of folks who leave navy yard for other parts of the city because they just don’t feel the fit into the neighborhood and are happy in other neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
The town of MOUNT RAINIER, near Hyattsville, I understand is an arts district with art studios. Or Takoma Park. Or around the Maryland Institute of Art, north of Penn Station in Baltimore.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I like navy yard but based on the OP’s wishes it wouldn’t be the best place for him. It’s very transient, not super artsy, more hetero oriented, more of a frat bro/newly grad vibe, less diverse than much of NW, etc. I know a lot of folks who leave navy yard for other parts of the city because they just don’t feel the fit into the neighborhood and are happy in other neighborhoods.
I lived in Navy Yard for 4 years and left as I just felt it was too busy for me. I enjoyed seeing the growth of the area until it became just too much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC