Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,173 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking at a move to DC area for my spouses work for which he would need to commute once a week-ish to the Navy Yard area. Poolesville meets our various wants and needs very well and we have been offered the opportunity to get a rental through friends so it would be my first choice of place to live but I'm wondering about the commute. Google says it takes about an hour by car if you leave before 7am (which is the plan) and take River Road/ 190 but that seems like it can't be right based on having experienced the traffic on that side of town on prior visits. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of doing that commute?

And yes we plan to visit and drive it before committing but are trying to limit the number of places we need to do that for in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 12:39 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
I suggest that you also investigate dropping off the husband at the Shady Grove or Rockville Metro station. After 2 Metro transfers, he could probably walk to the office at Navy Yard. By contrast, the trip driving thru the District streets is agonizing, and the parking near Navy Yard is difficult.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-21-2022 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 01:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest that you also investigate dropping off the husband at the Shady Grove or Rockville Metro station. After 2 Metro transfers, he could probably walk to the office at Navy Yard. By contrast, the trip driving thru the District streets is agonizing, and the parking near Navy Yard is difficult.
BTW, The best route has only one transfer at Gallery Place. Google maps does not do a good job of tranferring stations. Instead, I used the WMATA website to estimate the time between the Rockville Metro station and the Navy Yard Station: it gives 62 minutes, leaving before 7 AM. The advantage of Metro is that one can get some prep work or reading done on the train. It is 69 minutes on the return trip, leaving about 4:45 PM. There is now WiFi service in the tunnels as well as the stations.

I had done commuting to Navy Yard many years ago from Silver Spring. The area has been upgraded a lot, and there are many parking garages along M Street within walking distance to Navy Yard, making driving a bit easier.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-21-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 04:29 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
I used to live in Gaithersburg. Yes, it was pre-pandemic. Even though the traffic is not what it was before, I think the point I will try to make is probably still valid. My commute to the NOMA area by bus and train took the same amount of time everyday. (90 minutes). By car it would take 40-120 minutes depending on the day. Poolesville is even further than that. The point is the drive time varies wildly. One day it is quick, the next, a nightmare. You never know which until you’re stuck in traffic. If you’re fine with that then okay, but I just wanted to point out that times given by Google maps may or may not be accurate.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:02 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,147 times
I'd also elaborate on the above that the traffic on many days is now just as bad if not worse than before (and more drawn out at times) - a large number of people who purchased out in Poolesville, Frederick and beyond during the pandemic thinking they would be able to work from home full time have been in for a rude awakening now that their employers closer to the Beltway or in DC are making them come in a few days a week. Same with Northern Virginia.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:57 PM

291 posts, read 634,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankas View Post
Hi, we are looking at a move to DC area for my spouses work for which he would need to commute once a week-ish to the Navy Yard area. Poolesville meets our various wants and needs very well and we have been offered the opportunity to get a rental through friends so it would be my first choice of place to live but I'm wondering about the commute. Google says it takes about an hour by car if you leave before 7am (which is the plan) and take River Road/ 190 but that seems like it can't be right based on having experienced the traffic on that side of town on prior visits. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of doing that commute?

And yes we plan to visit and drive it before committing but are trying to limit the number of places we need to do that for in advance!
It's deceiving because you see Montgomery County and think, "oh, only one county over from Washington, DC. Can't be THAT bad." However, MoCo is pretty offset to the west and is a relatively large county geographically so by the time you're out in Poolesville, you're basically about as far away from downtown DC as Ashburn in Loudoun County. That's a big commute and traffic is definitely returning with a vengeance, especially around the city. Driving to the Shady Grove metro station is one option, taking the MARC train from Barnesville or Boyds is another option as well. All options would mean a transfer from Union Station to the Green Line down to Navy Yard at Gallery Place or figuring out a bus route (either DC Circulator or Metrobus) down there. Basically, there's no easy way down there, and while leaving before 7 AM helps somewhat, DC's work culture is often very early, and rush hour literally begins by around 5 or 5:30 AM. At least it's only once a week or so. If it's unmanageable, I've known people who rent rooms in houses or apartments near their office just for these purposes.

Anyway, good luck! Audiobooks help.

Old 12-02-2022, 04:17 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
It's deceiving because you see Montgomery County and think, "oh, only one county over from Washington, DC. Can't be THAT bad." However, MoCo is pretty offset to the west and is a relatively large county geographically so by the time you're out in Poolesville, you're basically about as far away from downtown DC as Ashburn in Loudoun County. That's a big commute and traffic is definitely returning with a vengeance, especially around the city. Driving to the Shady Grove metro station is one option, taking the MARC train from Barnesville or Boyds is another option as well. All options would mean a transfer from Union Station to the Green Line down to Navy Yard at Gallery Place or figuring out a bus route (either DC Circulator or Metrobus) down there. Basically, there's no easy way down there, and while leaving before 7 AM helps somewhat, DC's work culture is often very early, and rush hour literally begins by around 5 or 5:30 AM. At least it's only once a week or so. If it's unmanageable, I've known people who rent rooms in houses or apartments near their office just for these purposes.

Anyway, good luck! Audiobooks help.
Don’t forget Ride-On bus route 76 that goes to Shady Grove.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:18 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
MARC's Brunswick Line commuter trains also stop at Boyds, not far from Poolesville, but only go to Washington Union Station - leaving you with a mile-long trip across Capitol Hill to get to the Navy Yard. It's a pleasant 10-minute bike ride, but there aren't any straightforward transit routes.

If you insist on driving from a rural-ish location, you might consider somewhere on the east side of the metro area instead of the west side.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 19,117 times
I will just concur that this is a long commute but at only one day a week, it is doable. I agree with the suggestion of riding the MARC from there. I also agree that you sort of can't beat rush hour by leaving early because from 5 am to 10 am, it's going on. There are plenty of early commuters. People commute from hours away in all different directions. I agree with the people who say that the commute into the city can be total gridlock.

If you like Poolesville, you might also like Charles County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC