Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 08:32 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Is it like Detroit with no major stores in the city? (well there is a Meijers at the outskirts but nothing downtown, - you would never even consider going carless in Detroit). She would need a pet store and a market for fresh vegetables, maybe a Target or something similar.
There is a small Target store in NoMa north of Union Station, and I think one by the Columbia Heights metro station. Large malls accessible by metrorail are located at the Pentagon City, Ballston, and Prince Georges Plaza stations (and further out, Tysons and Wheaton).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 09:05 AM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
There is a small Target store in NoMa north of Union Station, and I think one by the Columbia Heights metro station. Large malls accessible by metrorail are located at the Pentagon City, Ballston, and Prince Georges Plaza stations (and further out, Tysons and Wheaton).
Ballston Mall has been dead for pretty much a decade. It was redeveloped into Ballston Quarter, but it's now no longer a major mall.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:15 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
There's a full-sized Target in Tenleytown on Wisconsin Avenue, minutes from Van Ness by car or Metro.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:41 AM

211 posts, read 238,801 times
Quote:
Attachment 240374

Please see above. I am simply using google maps. Perhaps they have things mislabeled. it would not be the first time.
Ah that’s a different location than I had thought. There’s a Trader Joe’s (groceries) down on that street. Lots of new developments in the area, with a huge line of new apartments that sprouted up over the past year along 3rd ave Ne. It’s definitely an area in transition undergoing rapid gentrification. Union Market is around the block, and it’s fabulous.

The neighborhoods bordering north of the area does tend to have more than average number of crime incidents.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:38 AM

211 posts, read 238,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarea View Post
Ah that’s a different location than I had thought. There’s a Trader Joe’s (groceries) down on that street. Lots of new developments in the area, with a huge line of new apartments that sprouted up over the past year along 3rd ave Ne. It’s definitely an area in transition undergoing rapid gentrification. Union Market is around the block, and it’s fabulous.

The neighborhoods bordering north of the area does tend to have more than average number of crime incidents.
I would like to add that NoMa station is on the red line, and so my previous recommendation can still apply. I know, because my office is in this area, and I take the Metro to NoMa on a regular basis.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
For someone new to the area, I would recommend getting a short term lease on an apartment either along the redline from Dupont Circle to Bethesda (Dupont, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, Bethesda) or the Orange/Blue line between Foggy Bottom to Ballston. Silver Spring is also a good landing zone. Those are all safe areas with lots of apartments near the metro. You can get by without a car in any of those areas. Then when your daughter gets to know the area she can figure out what works best for her.

If I had to pick on I would say Cleveland Park (it's not the hippest place, but it's very sage, has a nice selection of restaurants, a grocery store, a target, and is close to Rock Creek Park/the Zoo.)

Lots of other areas are popular, but they are either further from the metro (Adams Morgan, Logan Circle), higher crime (H Street, Columbia Heights, Petworth) or maybe too quiet/lack retail (Brookland, Tacoma Park, Capital Hill). It really comes down to personal preference.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:18 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Red Line adjacent areas are good suggestions. Capitol Hill may be OK for a bus/bike commute. The northeast suburbs (in Maryland, towards College Park) might also be a more affordable option, given the pretty easy Green Line transfer at Fort Totten. The NE side has historically had DC's small slice of industry, but that's rapidly being replaced with "creative office" (like the new office building!) and big-box retailers like Target, Costco, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
Something's wrong here. Penn intersects with 4th SE only, which also throws off the advice given by DCArea.
Penn St. NE is named after the nearby Pennsylvania Railroad, and has nothing to do with Pennsylvania Ave. NW/SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I lived carless for a while in D.C. and felt like it limited my options in terms of activities, and honestly it got pretty tedious if you wanted to buy something bigger and had to figure out how to get it home.
Eh, I haven't driven a car in a month or so and don't see anything in the near term I need to drive to; I'm happy to not deal with the crazy drivers. Most places have figured out delivery by 2022; even IKEA will deliver to a FedEx location (usually within a few blocks) for $4! If I want to do a road trip to the beach or some goofy small town, I usually want to go with friends - in which case we usually use one of their cars. Something else I've discovered recently is that there are multiple hiking clubs in town which charter buses for day hikes - which also saves me from having to choose hikes, or worry about being too tired to drive back.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:16 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
My son lived in https://www.4115wisconsinavedc.com for two years. It was pet friendly and safe. Laundry in the basement. Tons of stores and restaurants nearby (including Whole Foods). He didn't have a car. Buses and subway nearby. He did just fine!

If you contact them, they will put you on a waiting list.

He's in Shaw now. His apartment is in a townhouse and has a small backyard. The area is not as nice as 4115 Wisconsin Avenue, but he likes it. His roommate is moving out on August 1st, so he'll be looking for a new apartment. He said he can't believe how much rents have increased in the last four years.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2022, 06:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Penn St. NE is named after the nearby Pennsylvania Railroad, and has nothing to do with Pennsylvania Ave. NW/SE.

Thank you. Sorry about that. I did not mean to confuse everyone, I just did not know that would cause a mix up.

They are letting her work remotely until March, so she has some time to go there and explore a little. I am sending her the suggestions and she expressed her appreciation to Y'all. She has never lived right in a City, so she does not know what she prefers.

My wife's sister lives in Silver spring, but I think that is not real close since they do not seem to go into the city much at all. Maybe our daughter could stay with her aunt for a few months if the commute is not too bad and have more time to get familiar with various areas.

My limited experience with DC is a few business trips and my conclusion was I would go to great lengths to avoid driving there. The traffic I experienced was worse than Los Angeles. Except one visit during Covid. There was no traffic at all, but almost everything was closed too so there was nothing to see or do.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:59 AM

474 posts, read 264,539 times
Quote:

My wife's sister lives in Silver spring, but I think that is not real close since they do not seem to go into the city much at all. Maybe our daughter could stay with her aunt for a few months if the commute is not too bad and have more time to get familiar with various areas.
The postal district of Silver Spring covers a much larger area than "downtown" SS, much of it not very Metro accessible. The question to ask your relative is: How close to any Metro are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: