Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 06:50 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol hilarious and yet so telling to watch people rooting for the DC region to lose, when none of what they’re wishing is coming true in our lifetimes.

The capital is not leaving Washington DC nor the East Coast for that matter.
Yes, this is a recurring thread I've seen on several c-d forums over the years.

Makes you wonder why nobody ever says that the financial capital be moved from New York City or the entertainment capital be moved from LA. It's always DC. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yeah, it sucks being paid for not working. Is there back pay when steel mills and coal mines are closed because of government regulations there paper pushers implement?
That is a rhetorical question. I’m sure there is no back-pay for coal miners. But you are proving my point. The higher levels of Congress are voting on regulations that affect coal miners, not the average federal government “paper-pushers.” That is why I said the people to be mad at are congress. The “paper pushers” are just doing the work that has been authorized by Congress.

Many people get mad at federal government workers, and like seeing them squeal and embarrassed when the threats of shutdowns come around, but Congress (who are signing off on the regulations impacting coal workers), aren’t impacted by shutdowns. They are the ones you should be upset with. That was my point.

Also, I was making the point that in the era of divided Congress and continual shutdown threats, that working for the federal government isn’t as cush of a job as it used to be. I work in healthcare in academics, and you couldn’t pay me to work for the federal government. I make a comfortable 6 figure salary, stable job, and good benefits so I wouldn’t want to deal with all the stress/inconvenience of threats of shutdowns all the time that comes with working for the federal government.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:25 PM

409 posts, read 334,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Makes you wonder why nobody ever says that the financial capital be moved from New York City or the entertainment capital be moved from LA. It's always DC. lol
Right, I've seen that a lot too.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM

25 posts, read 16,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Wouldn't it be great to separate the bureaucrats and federal parasites from their long established homes in the District of Columbia? Moving the capital to Kansas would automatically shrink the federal government because many would not move. A win-win situation. Finally we'd have a capital to represent the middle of America.

Can Kansas deal effectively with government slime to keep it from spreading? I think they might do a better job.

I could not agree with you more. Great recommendation!

Old 09-18-2019, 03:39 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Well in fairness, private sector jobs/companies move all the time. Boston 128 tech corridor has declined relative to Silicon Valley/Seattle. NY and LA have lost entertainment jobs to each other over the years and both have lost work to GA, Vancouver, etc. NY has lost tons of finance jobs to lower CoL locations.

DC has a number of back office government jobs that would likely have been moved to a cheaper place if the government operated like the private sector. Elite segments of the government (diplomacy, policy making, etc) would be located in an elite glamour city. Other areas (performing routine government service) would likely be in an office park of a 2nd tier city.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
It's so annoying that since 2016, there's been this constant theme of, "Is the quality of life low somewhere? Is it lacking in people and excitement? Is it somewhere struggling to bring in high-paying jobs? Is it a place with low performing schools and lacking in upward mobility? Let's move the capital there!"

If people don't want to live in Kansas, etc today, making it the capital won't magically spur investments and make people want to live there. The local politicians need to do the actual work of cultivating ways to attract people, jobs, etc.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:11 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
It's so annoying that since 2016, there's been this constant theme of, "Is the quality of life low somewhere? Is it lacking in people and excitement? Is it somewhere struggling to bring in high-paying jobs? Is it a place with low performing schools and lacking in upward mobility? Let's move the capital there!"

If people don't want to live in Kansas, etc today, making it the capital won't magically spur investments and make people want to live there. The local politicians need to do the actual work of cultivating ways to attract people, jobs, etc.
Republicans already set Kansas back twenty years with their disastrous supply-side tax policy. Thanks Brownback.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be great to separate the bureaucrats and federal parasites from their long established homes in the District of Columbia? Moving the capital to Kansas would automatically shrink the federal government because many would not move. A win-win situation. Finally we'd have a capital to represent the middle of America.

Can Kansas deal effectively with government slime to keep it from spreading? I think they might do a better job.
This is beyond dumb. The bureaucracy and "government slime" are in DC because it's the capital. It would be the same situation wherever the capital were located.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Federal employees get a paid-for vacation during shutdowns. The people who actually do the work for the government, contractors, do not get paid at all. I have little sympathy for federal workers and much more respect for contractors who bust their butts working hard for this nation while government workers do little and still get rewarded.
This doesn't apply to essential federal government employees who still have to work during a shutdown without getting paid. They usually get back pay when ththe government reopens but they still have to report to work, which involves transportation costs, and cannot even use sick leave during a shutdown. It's criminal the way federal workers are used as political pawns in this day and age.

Instead of moving the capital, how about we just go ahead and break up the country and get it over with. Let the red and blue states part ways and go on about their business.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Instead of moving the capital, how about we just go ahead and break up the country and get it over with. Let the red and blue states part ways and go on about their business.

Sure. I see it this way:

Red states = Gilead
Blue states = USA

"Under His Eye"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: