Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,500 times

Advertisements

I have only lived in DC for just a year as an adult, so I am still trying to navigate the services in this area. I have a relative who will be attending a private high school in DC. He just moved to the DC from overseas, and does not have US health insurance yet. He is still a US citizen, but has spent most of his life overseas. He needs to get some immunization shots and the TB test as required by his school. I tried taking him to the DC Department of Health, but was only told that they no longer administer shots and that they now only manage records. I know that in most other states, there are local health centers that administer immunization shots to students for free or at a low cost because they are mandatory.

Are there immunization clinics in DC with the stated purpose? When I went to the DC Health Dept, I was only told to take my student to his primary care physician. Where can I get help about this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 04:47 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Did you try googling it? Because when I did, it immediately pulled up the dc.gov page that lists all "Medicare, Uninsured, Underinsured Vaccine Providers".

It amazes me that someone would take time to register on a message board and post a question asking other people to google something; when it would be much easier and faster to just google it yourself.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Did you try googling it? Because when I did, it immediately pulled up the dc.gov page that lists all "Medicare, Uninsured, Underinsured Vaccine Providers".

It amazes me that someone would take time to register on a message board and post a question asking other people to google something; when it would be much easier and faster to just google it yourself.

Thank you so much for your answer! I really mean it. Before I asked this question online, I also googled and called the vaccine providers that are listed on the DC Health Department's page. All of them were quite unhelpful, and one of them said that it was not accepting new patients and that their waitlist was a year long.

For clarification, I never asked "other people to google something" for me. I only asked a question, and you did not have to give me an attitude. Thanks for implying that I asked such a stupid question! At least I made you feel so smart, at least much smarter than you probably are!

It amazes me that someone could have such a false sense of superiority, especially when they haven't even dealt with the "Medicare, Uninsured, Underinsured Vaccine Providers" that appeared on Google themselves. Judging from the number of posts you have, I could tell that you spend much of your time on these forums trying to gain a sense of self-esteem and intelligence because nobody else in the real world probably acknowledges you. Haha!

Last edited by blueberry20189; 07-29-2019 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

I have been living in DC for 10 years, and I personally know how frustratingly inefficient the DC government services are, other than the DMV. I remember having difficulty in finding immunization services for my son in DC, unlike most other states such as New Jersey and Texas. The poster asked a very relevant question, and your reply made it seem like you couldn't act half your age.

As for my reply for the original poster, I know of a governmental immunization clinic in Arlington, which is in the DC metro area. I suggest that you call them at 703-228-1200. They should be able to administer the required vaccines for your relative.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 AM

422 posts, read 530,408 times
Not sure how they handle routine immunizations, but you (he) might reach out to Mary's Center (www.maryscenter.org). They will work with him on the insurance side of things.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,917,317 times
I'd also call the school and see if they resources for shots and primary care.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,576,698 times
Mary's Center is a FQHC. "Federally Qualified Health Centers are community-based health care providers that receive funds from the [federal government] to provide primary care services in underserved areas. They must meet a stringent set of requirements, including providing care on a sliding fee scale based on ability to pay." There are many within DC:

https://dchealth.dc.gov/publication/...lth-centers-dc

However, basic immunizations are widely available at many retail pharmacies; do ask about the prices without insurance, though.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:01 PM

492 posts, read 489,706 times
I can understand the poster's pain. We just moved to DC from CT last month and faced a similar issue with the admission of our daughter to an internship program. She was asked to undergo TB Montoux test and we had to search all over where to get it done. And finally we got it done at Children's National hospital. We paid for the test and it was cheap ($25).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC