Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM

220 posts, read 547,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Depends on your situation. I didn't say at every public university or any major.

At UDC's community college, full time, full academic year tuition and fees are $3,000. If you are independent, you can get up to $57K of direct federal loans, of which $9,500 can be used your first year and $12,500 by your 3rd year. That isn't easy, but definitely doable. You aren't going to live in a 2BR in Dupont Circle, but you can afford to share a studio (like a dorm room) with a roommate or 2 in a lot of poorer neighborhoods for very moderate cost.

That assumes you don't have a parent or guardian willing to sign a PLUS loan for you, which can be for up to $40K a year. Many parents sign these and have their kids take them over by either doing a loan consolidation or taking over the payments.

Plus, many colleges have need based grants, fee waivers, etc., or even easy part time jobs where you can study while working (i.e. working at the library).
So you would have $6,500 left after tuition and fees? I don't think that the $3,000 covers books? Does it cover student health insurance? Even if the $3,000 includes everything, you are only left with $542 per month. Only $542 a month, you definitely aren't going to be living near the campus, so you're probably going to have to spend a significant amount of money on the metro/commuting expenses. Even in this case where the tuition is very low, I'd assume that if one has no outside resources (parents, scholarships, private loans), one would have to work part-time to supplement the federal loan. (Note - I worked part time a number of semesters in college, and I certainly don't think it's the end of the world if the # of hours is reasonable and the work schedule is something that doesn't interfere with classes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,163 times
One of my friends graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business from UDC. She thought she needed a passport to go to Florida. Not saying she represents the whole or even the majority, but, I was just reminded of when she said this to me.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Well not everyone is a trust fund baby or otherwise rich enough to afford taking 15 credit hours every semester, while simultaneously having to survive and forage for food and shelter.

If students have to drop down to 12 credit hours or even half time in order to work enough hours to afford college, shelter, food, health, etc. and it takes them 5 or 6 years to graduate, more power to them. I don't think it is something that should somehow make them inferior job applicants or less smart when they apply for that entry level job or grad school because they didn't graduate in 4 years

***By all means attack the people who took longer because they were partying on their parent's dime
This is exactly what I did to gain my bachelor's degree. If anything, I think I should be MORE valued to employers since I had to handle at least 30 hours a week at stressful jobs and a FT course load on my back.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 12,142 times
Any updates in UDC?

Old 01-04-2023, 03:04 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verywanderlusty View Post
Any updates in UDC?
Still sucks.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:01 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verywanderlusty View Post
Any updates in UDC?
It's improving as it was strictly an open-enrollment community college accepting all. Hence the low graduation numbers..

It has evolved into a full-scale university with bachelor's and master's programs with an overall six-year graduation rate nearing 40%. Much better than 9% and it's been just a decade or so.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's improving as it was strictly an open-enrollment community college accepting all. Hence the low graduation numbers..

It has evolved into a full-scale university with bachelor's and master's programs with an overall six-year graduation rate nearing 40%. Much better than 9% and it's been just a decade or so.
Yea catching up to Georgetown and Stanford.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:08 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yea catching up to Georgetown and Stanford.
Yes....a somewhat newly designated four-year college operating as a publicly-funded HBCU is aiming that direction with high expectations.

Dear god, grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: