Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times

Advertisements

Rhode Island is next.....

Major profit center.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:08 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post

All I care about is sentencing laws. Marijuana possession needs to be seriously decriminalized.

I can carry two kegs of beer in the back of a truck and various hard liquors for a party and not be arrested.
I can carry a bottle full of nighttime cold medicine and not be arrested.
I can smoke various tobacco products in public and not be arrested.
I can carry half a cabinet of prescribed and over-the-counter drugs and not be arrested.

When will government come to its senses and stop this insane criminalization of a substance that is no more harmful than those I listed above that are perfectly legal, but can cause more deaths than marijuana ever could?

Quote:
Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010,
CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

Quote:
Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1
  • More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
CDC - Fact Sheet - Tobacco-Related Mortality - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Quote:
  • In 2013, of the 43,982 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,767 (51.8%) were related to pharmaceuticals.8
  • Of the 22,767 deaths relating to pharmaceutical overdose in 2013, 16,235 (71.3%) involved opioid analgesics (also called opioid pain relievers or prescription painkillers), and 6,973 (30.6%) involved benzodiazepines.8 (Some deaths include more than one type of drug.)
  • In 2011, about 1.4 million ED visits involved the nonmedical use of pharmaceuticals. Among those ED visits, 501,207 visits were related to anti-anxiety and insomnia medications, and 420,040 visits were related to opioid analgesics.2
  • Benzodiazepines are frequently found among people treated in EDs for misusing or abusing drugs.2 People who died of drug overdoses often had a combination of benzodiazepines and opioid analgesics in their bodies.6
CDC - Facts - Drug Overdose - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Deaths from marijuana? The CDC has no statistics. Hmmm. Wonder why? Therefore, why does someone have to go to jail for a bag of weed? Seriously? I know why. Because of big tobacco. They see marijuana smoking as a threat to their product offering. That is the ONLY reason I think marijuana is as illegal as it is today. And is probably why the tobacco companies tried to make cigarettes more addictive. So that they could compete with any recreational substance people put in their bodies including drugs. Just a hunch.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:07 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You do know that marijuana possession, at least of small amounts, was decriminalized in MD last year?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You do know that marijuana possession, at least of small amounts, was decriminalized in MD last year?
Yes. And that's good. My point was I don't care what other laws concerning marijuana they decide to make. Just keep it decriminalized. And I would want them to increase the amounts of possession. If people want to sell, allow them to get a license just like anyone else that sells legal drugs or alcohol. remove the negative stigma of going to a store and buying marijuana. That would bring people out of the shadows and dry up the demand for street sellers.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:01 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. And that's good. My point was I don't care what other laws concerning marijuana they decide to make. Just keep it decriminalized. And I would want them to increase the amounts of possession. If people want to sell, allow them to get a license just like anyone else that sells legal drugs or alcohol. remove the negative stigma of going to a store and buying marijuana. That would bring people out of the shadows and dry up the demand for street sellers.

Like taxing and controlling alcohol got rid of moonshiners?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
It's only a major profit center if the black market pricing can be maintained.
That's why (so far at least) we're only getting pseudo legality.

If it were actually legal then a $300 per ounce AG product could become $10 per pound.
Imports and hybrids... might go for $20 or $30. Per POUND

Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like taxing and controlling alcohol got rid of moonshiners?
There are a lot more people in jail for selling marijuana than there is for selling moonshine.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's only a major profit center if the black market pricing can be maintained.
That's why (so far at least) we're only getting pseudo legality.

If it were actually legal then a $300 per ounce AG product could become $10 per pound.
Imports and hybrids... might go for $20 or $30. Per POUND
And if I can buy it from a store, then I don't need to buy it on the corner from some individual who may be armed.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And if I can buy it from a store, then I don't need to buy it on the corner
from some individual who may be armed.
I agree. There is no good reason that we shouldn't be able to buy it at the Farmers market.

But once it is actually as legal as any other common and easy to grow AG product the (black)
market price level is gone and the ability to tax sales becomes both onerous and prohibitively
expensive to administer. This is why the CO law has made traditional farming impossible.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree. There is no good reason that we shouldn't be able to buy it at the Farmers market.

But once it is actually as legal as any other common and easy to grow AG product the (black)
market price level is gone and the ability to tax sales becomes both onerous and prohibitively
expensive to administer. This is why the CO law has made traditional farming impossible.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland