Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 AM

490 posts, read 924,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg4lve View Post
Hi All,

I am from out of state, relocating because of work. I'm not sure which cities or which neighboring state to live in. I have done some research and it seems that cities in Maryland may be my best option but I'm still open to VA.

I will be working in DC near Chinatown. Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station is nearby my future job. I am a mixed race (Black and East Indian) 26 year old single female, no kids, just a little dog(under 15lbs). I am not big into the night life, so that is not a priority. I'm used to living in the suburbs with lots of green space. I have my own car, but since the metro station is so close to my future job, I'm fine with using public trans. My budget is $1300.

Currently where I live, I am able to rent a 2bd/2bth townhome for $1000 in a nice suburban area. So I'd like to still stay with cities where I can manage a nice 2/2 housing accommodation in a good community. I'd like to have less than an hour commute, however if I can get more space for my money then I don't mind being farther out. I have heard mixed things about the city of Laurel, and I've been told that Anne Arundel County has a lot to offer.. But not sure how far these places really are...Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced for all the suggestions!!

There are places in Germantown and Gaithersburg that are in your price range. Both have easy access to shady grove metro station, which will get you to Gallery place within an hour.

Here a few town homes and apartments in your price range:

Germantown

Milestone, Germantown - Trulia

21233 Bunyan Circle, Germantown MD - Trulia

The Gables at Waters Landing, Germantown - Trulia

Gaithersburg

Highland Square, Gaithersburg - Trulia

Hidden Creek, Gaithersburg - Trulia

Paramount, Gaithersburg - Trulia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 37,866 times
@pgtvatitans

The highest I can go is $1450. As far as having a roommate, the answers is no. I'd like to continue living alone with my pet. Space and the suburbs are important to me, since my home is my little retreat after a hectic day. I don't mind having a longer commute time if it means I can get the space I want which is why living by city centre isn't a concern. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 37,866 times
@MRMaryland455

I think you may have hit the mark with your suggestions on Germantown and Gaithersburg. Can you tell me anymore about those areas? I'll definitely look at the listings you posted as soon as I can. Thanks so much!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Default College Park?

Message from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozahsuf View Post
Has anyone lived in or around College Park? Rent is much cheaper in that area, and if I can find an area comparable to the Rockville/North Bethesda area in College Park, I may be inclined to move there. Any tips/advice? Metro access is a plus

Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg4lve View Post
@MRMaryland455

I think you may have hit the mark with your suggestions on Germantown and Gaithersburg. Can you tell me anymore about those areas? I'll definitely look at the listings you posted as soon as I can. Thanks so much!

Of course!! Let me start with Germantown, its a nice suburb full of amenities and new developments such as New Wegmans, Harris Teeter (Germantown/Darnestown), Germantown Town Center, Milestone shopping center, South Germantown Recreational Park, waterford hills (developments), Germantown Park (development)New bozzuto Apartments, and Regal Cinema.

Germantown:

Germantown Commons Retail Center in the Germantown, Maryland Area | EDENS

Germantown, MD - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

BlackRock Center For The Arts

Gaithersburg is another really great place to live with A LOT of amenties and definitely family friendly place. You have places like the "Kentlands, Lakeland, Parkland, Rio washintonian(with plenty of retail and restaurants), and Downtown Crown Farms (coming soon) which are very affluent area.

Gaithersburg:

Washingtonian Center | Gaithersburg Restaurants, Shopping, Events & More

Kentlands Downtown

http://smarturbanliving.com/downtown.cfm

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Mozahsuf asked: "Has anyone lived in or around College Park? Rent is much cheaper in that area, and if I can find an area comparable to the Rockville/North Bethesda area in College Park, I may be inclined to move there. Any tips/advice? Metro access is a plus"
-----------------------------------------------------

It sounds like the OP wants champagne at beer-budget prices. There is nowhere in College Park that is comparable to North Bethesda, because the money just doesn't live in College Park. There is no Macy's, Nordstrom or Cheesecake Factory in College Park. Certainly the OP can find a nice apartment building in College Park, as there are some new ones built. The Metro in CP isn't close to Route 1, so it would be a bus or bicycle ride from most apartments in CP. The closest apartments are 9/10 mile away from Metro (check google maps).

Old 12-22-2013, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,342 times
Hello! my first post here so go easy on me.

I am currently looking to rent a studio or 1 BR apartment somewhere in the College Park/Silver Spring/Bowie. I currently live with my parents in Waldorf and I am trying to move out. I finished college this May and currently working in DC. I am looking for a place where I can drive less than 45mn to get to a metro station (really important!). My budget is about $1100 with utilities included. Looking for a semi-safe(obviously $1100 won't get me a super safe place).

What is a good area to live in around the place that I have listed? Please give me a suggestion. I've been looking for weeks now on craiglist and done a lot of research but can't seem to find a good idea where the safe areas/neighbors are.

Thank you!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgettingcold View Post
Hello! my first post here so go easy on me.

I am currently looking to rent a studio or 1 BR apartment somewhere in the College Park/Silver Spring/Bowie. I currently live with my parents in Waldorf and I am trying to move out. I finished college this May and currently working in DC. I am looking for a place where I can drive less than 45mn to get to a metro station (really important!). My budget is about $1100 with utilities included. Looking for a semi-safe(obviously $1100 won't get me a super safe place).

What is a good area to live in around the place that I have listed? Please give me a suggestion. I've been looking for weeks now on craiglist and done a lot of research but can't seem to find a good idea where the safe areas/neighbors are.

Thank you!

I recommend you checking out Warwick Apartments

It's in a good location and 10 to 15min from the metro station

The Warwick Apartments - Silver Spring, MD 20902 | Apartments for Rent

Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM

64 posts, read 121,622 times
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on making a move to the area. I am currently living in Yorktown VA, and was in Norfolk for a few years prior to that. I will be coming to the area for a job at Indian Head, I work in IT Security. I am 27 and moving there with my 25 y/o fiance' and we are expecting our first child within the next couple of days. We are both Caucasian, active and looking for a decent community, not too crowded but not desolate either.

From soon-to-be co-workers at Indian Head, they recommend we live in either La Plata or Waldorf. After doing some research, and reading a lot on this forum we would prefer to stick with La Plata since it is more rural and has less crime, not quite as crowded, better schools etc. My Fiance will be looking to teach there next school year, or in Waldorf/any surrounding city in Charles County.

Can anyone give any insight into La Plata compared to Waldorf, or even make any suggestions of other cities that are decent in the area for a commute to Indian Head and with possible teaching opportunities for her in the future? We have lived in Norfolk and I am from Cleveland, she is from NY so we aren't stuck on something high class but definitely want something relatively safe and enjoyable.. Looking to spend up to 1,400 a month and we are looking for a 2br place, possibly 3.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We know nothing of the area except what I have been reading.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 12,262 times
Arrow joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If you are considering a move to the MD suburbs of DC, please ask your questions here. Thanks! Forum regulars, please post useful links about areas if you have them. This includes links on crime, apartments, neighborhoods, etc. This should cut down on answering questions over and over about certain areas.
will be working in dc soon need to find a apt for rent. I can do 30 miles. price range 800 to 1000 would be nice
any suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland