Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times

Advertisements

LOL Steve, I don't think he is strictly speaking bug tawkin here. Maybe he means a splittie with a weather van gennie on the roof to run that AC unit on 220 acv ha ha ha.

maybe it's line up a bunch of 6 volt batterys and make the starter rugged enough to call it a hybrid WAUGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:09 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
The first brand new vehicle I ever bought was a 1978 VW Bus in Dec 1977. I had the DPD ceiling mounted a/c. The a/c was WORTHLESS! The Porsche 914 engine also found in the VW 411 and 412 had adequate power. I kept the Bus only 9 months. Road noise was my major complaint. It only got 20 mpg. The driving position was terrible on long trips. The angle the gas pedal went down gave me cramps in my foot. The upholstery was pretty and durable.

I traded it in for a new 1978 Champagne Edition Rabbit which swore me off Volkswagens forever.

My favorite VW I ever owned was a 1972 VW Squareback. THAT was an excellent car!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
I want a W-12 Tourag!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 87,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
HUH!!!!!.....What the heck are you talking about? Your knowledge is not about VW busses...thats for sure. Read a book about the VW T2 Busses/Vans before spouting garbage.

The engines HP cannot tolerate A/C as VW found that out early.

Power steering...fantasy land...same with all the power things listed...shoot...read a VW book PLEASE.

As for the Bus/Vans things are limited for all the early models while the Rabbit 4Cyl installed from the assembly plant in Puebla Mexico was a winner power wise...then again not for export to the US in the mid 1980's. I saw them on a VIP tour of the factory.

Vanagon from Germany had it's share of problems over the yrs.

Work on a few VANS like I did over the yrs and your tune will change.

Split windows and early crash box trannys were an experience.

No, I meant that if one really, really wanted, said person could just have a generator and an electric A/C hooked up (no relation to the engine). Also I was just saying all the power things were unnecessary, but (meant to say) not included in them (just for the record, there were stock automatics). Lucky... VIP factory tour. And try not to heat up the discussion. You could've said I worded it wrong instead of, "Read a book before spouting garbage."

Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Here again your talking FANTASY land. Anything is possible if a person has a bottomless pocketbook. Many VW shops that specialize in custom work or performance engines etc will ask how much the person is willing to pay. That question weeds out most people that may have a FANTASY in mind. Talk to a person that has a Ford with a Chevy short/long block installed and how much work it entailed...same with the tranny and rear end.

Had many times people ask me about a HP engine for their VW. When I asked how much he was willing to spend or how much his wife was allowing him...he said $1000...my answer was "nice talking with you". Makes NO difference who a person talks to in the trade...performance parts are NOT cheap...wholesale let alone retail.

A/C on the roof with a Honda Generator...no sweat but will look stupid...get my drift?

Reality has a strange way of showing itself. Sit down and read a few VW books on the different yrs and what they had off the assembly line. Think about tooling and possible modification from another make of auto and then look into your bank account. If you cannot afford it then neither can many others.

Am going to say that no insult was intended in my earlier reply...just a reality check.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

So Steve it might cost a few bucks to 'just drop' a 351 Cleveland with a Panterra trans axel and route a little plumbing to a rad, louvered in a old type 1 huh? And in white paint on the bonnet, write 'Sleeper"

I'll tell you what, if you pull off that stunt oem brakes won't cut it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
You now Mac it's been quite a few yrs since I was at the Pomona drags. That day there was a 67 VW bug with a small block chev installed in the front end. Looking at it you saw a VW bug and when you turned your head away the sound you heard was that of a Chevy engine.

They must have done a lot of work to shoe horn that engine inside...think about the tranny.

In 1969-70 (can't recall the exact yr) I bought a 60 bug, removed the body, shortened the chassis 14 in and installed a Glass body, strong engine, lots of chrome and my wife just loved that toy for legal street driving. It can be done with guts ( I was just learning then), a little money and many late night hrs.

Original concept on VW as you know was the economical factor. They later did try the Autostick tranny in 68 while new did function well but I found later that even the Calif VW Dlrs did not want to work on them instead referred people to a independent place in LA Calif.

I could go on and on about the good and sour things of the VW but this thread is about the VW BUS. Early 36HP of the 1950's to the 57HP (1600) of the 1971 is about as far as the original concept and desire stands today. The 72 1.7 and then the 1.8 were stronger and a lot more heavy of an engine along with the dual carbs. Speaks volumes.

Will say this tho...the Calif smog requirements killed the overall performance of those Vans/Busses. Still the younger generation are only enthrilled with them being NEAT and COOL.

Steve

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I could go on and on about the good and sour things of the VW but this thread is about the VW BUS. Early 36HP of the 1950's to the 57HP (1600) of the 1971 is about as far as the original concept and desire stands today. The 72 1.7 and then the 1.8 were stronger and a lot more heavy of an engine along with the dual carbs. Speaks volumes.

Will say this tho...the Calif smog requirements killed the overall performance of those Vans/Busses. Still the younger generation are only enthrilled with them being NEAT and COOL.
Steve
Calif smog requirements did hurt performance, but those Vans/Buses were way underpowered to begin with.

The ones from the '50s and up to the mid-'60s, which didn't have emissions equipment, took at least 25-30 seconds to reach 60 mph (or even 50 with the earlier ones), 1/4 mile 23-26 seconds and a top speed of 60-70 mph, which went down quickly with any kind of a hill.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Fleet the bug wasn't too under powered with that 351 Cleveland in it.

Finding out the oem brakes didn't work too good was a surprise though.

Steve one day I found myself with a buudy, his green bug and a jeep grill. By the end of tjhe day the jeep grill was mounted back in the ft bonnet, to shorten the bug, the rear fender lights were mounted up by the rear widow, another hand brake was installed tween the seat each one working the respective rear wheel, and on the doors were Felix the Cat in a white circle.

We took it muddin on old stage coach roads the next day. Where the rear seat had been we placed a cheap oritental carpet and tools, mostly chains and come-a-longs.

The day after that with a gold fish bowl wiped on the windshield to see, as we mudded the hel out of that bug, I went to see the sun rise at the beach. The sun comes up on the east coast beaches.

About that time Mt St Helens blew up, and for days in the shop customers tawked about that Mt St Helens car, which wasn't, because it was that green bug. LOL

And yeah the EPA killed all the fun.... While the EPA was killing the fun every other place on Earth still ran carbs non catted cars and they still do.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Fleet the bug wasn't too under powered with that 351 Cleveland in it.
But they didn't come that way from the factory.

If I had a 351 engine laying around, I would put it in a car with some styling, like a '66 or '69 Mustang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen