Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a 2023 Taos SE with FWD. I live in a mild climate so AWD isn't necessary. My local dealer doesn't charge above MSRP, unlike Kia, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota dealers here. It has pretty much everythng I need - slightly higher seating so my knees don't hurt getting out (sports injuries!), pretty decent MPG (36 highway), roomy for the class and the traditional Japanese built 8-speed automatic. I've heard stories about VW reliability, but a close friends parents had a Passat and he said it was a great car for them for many years. Has anyone here owned one? Would appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 05:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm looking at a 2023 Taos SE with FWD

I've heard stories about VW reliability, but a close friends parents had a Passat and he said it was a great car for them for many years.
My brother loved his passat and he laments that Volkswagen announced that the Passat will be discontinued in the United States after the 2022 model.

Adding AWD is an extra $1,450 on the SE trim. Consumer Reports says the Taos AWD drive delivers uneven acceleration with an initial huge delay followed by a burst of power. They agree with your decision to stick with FWD.

The 2022 VW Taos SE features everything the 2022 VW Taos S features, plus additions like 18-inch alloy wheels, wireless charging capabilities, and additional driver assistance systems like autonomous braking and blind spot monitor. The SEL trim comes exclusively with AWD.

============================================
FACT: Over half of cars sold in America are now 4 cylinder models which range in displacement from 1.3L to 2.8L, although the majority of models are between 1.5-liter and 2.5- liters. Even high end brands like Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura, Genesis, Infiniti, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo ,Audi, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz all make turbocharged 4 cylinder vehicles today. The only brands that do not have 4 cylinder vehicles for sale in America are McLaren, Maserati, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Dodge ,Chrysler and Ram (only has a 4 cylinder van).
============================================
Pros and Cons of an alternative:
  • The 2023 Subaru Crosstrek AWD has an MSRP of $27,995 with an $1,225 delivery fee.
  • The 2023 VW Taos SE FWD has a MSRP of $28,925 with an $1,195 delivery fee.
  • The Volkswagen Taos has a 1.5-liter turbocharged four cylinder engine that generates 158 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque.
  • The Subaru Crosstrek (sport trim) has a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four cylinder engine that generates 182 horsepower and 176 lb-ft of torque.
  • The Taos has an eight-speed automatic transmission, while the Subaru Crosstrek has continuous variable transmission.
  • The Taos 60.2 ft³ with seat down, compared to the 55.3 ft³ of the Crosstrek.
  • The Taos has 18" wheels, while the Crosstrek sport trim has 17" wheels. The Crosstrek Limited trim is $1500 more , but it has 18" wheels.
  • The Taos ground clearance is 6.4-6.6 inches while the Crosstrek ground clearance is 8.7 inches
  • The Taos has an EPA combined city/highway 31.11 mpg, which is better than the Crosstrek's 29.40 mpg
=========
  • Subaru dealers generally do not put an Additional Dealer Markup (ADM) above MSRP. The Taos and Sport trim Crosstrek each have pros and cons.
  • For some people CVT is an automatic dealbreaker so they would get the Taos.
  • I prefer a 2.5L naturally aspirated engine to a much smaller 1.5L turbocharged engine even though it gets 1,71 mpg less. The naturally aspirated engine is less likely to face expensive maintenance problems,

In my humble opinion, these very small turbocharged engines are potentially a serious problem, and I would go with the Crosstrek. If you do a google search you will find many mechanics that are concerned about increasing complexity built into cars to get less than 2 mpg of fuel savings.

But I should point out that there are at least 10 other models sold by 7 other brands that also use small 4 cylinder turbocharged engines (and some new ones with 3 cylinders). They are all trying to get better fuel economy to stay ahead of the EPA regulations. So the opinion of these online analysts and mechanics is very conservative, but they deal with the repairs all the time.

These vehicles are sometimes referred to as turbo-downsized because they are not using turbocharging in the traditional manner to create a performance vehicle, but to get better fuel economy from an ordinary vehicle (instead of using more displacement)

1.5L Turbocharged 4 cylinder
Volkswagen Taos, Jetta
Chevrolet EQUINOX
GMC TERRAIN
Honda Accord, CIVIC, CR-V
Mitsubishi ECLIPSE CROSS
1.4L Turbocharged 4 cylinder
Buick ENCORE
Chevrolet TRAX
1.3L Turbocharged 4 cylinder
Jeep Renegade
FIAT 500X AWD

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-06-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-13-2022, 05:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
My Son's fiance' moved from a Jetta to a Taos last year. She (they) love it after 11 months of driving it. She claims its the perfect size for holding their dogs, along with other baggage and still being very maneuverable in traffic and stable on Interstate trips. Gas mileage is staying a steady 30+ combined and 36+ on longer trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen