Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM

20 posts, read 85,872 times

Advertisements

I'm working in Simi Valley and living in Pasadena....I love living in Pasadena....but I'm looking to purchase a house and I can't afford it in Pasadena in a good area, nor anywhere else in Valley....however, I can afford something in Thousand Oaks area which will be so close to my work....but I'm afraid that my life style would change so much....I'm a single woman and very outdoor person....but it looks like thousand oaks is just for families or retired people!
any ideas what the life would look like there?
I love hiking, swimming, salsa dancing and dining out.....also, I would like to go to beach and even would love to try surfing and I like kayaking....all my friends are living in Pasadena and I'm not interested so much about hanging out with people with little kids....as much as I like kids, but just for couple of hours.....
I like Oak Park too, but it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere....
please any ideas, what life is for single people in TO area?
thanks in advance
Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,095 times
I hate to say it but out there the main activity is Shopping (for girls), or golfing (for guys). Pretty depressing, i know.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
You might like Ventura but I don't think the drive will be better than Pasadena.
Maybe Woodland Hills but that too won't be a great drive.

Yes, TO and Oak Park and most of the Conejo Valley is suburban boring, family, established, etc. But there are always volleyball games, softball leagues, cycling clubs, hiking clubs, church clubs for single people. I lived in the area when I was single and it wasn't horrible but it wasn't perfect for singles either. On the other hand, it would be close, safe, pretty, and pretty close to the beach and hiking and cycling. A lot of people often write in these situations that you can always visit your friends and the hot spots on weekends.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,900,386 times
You could join a gym, do yoga and or pilates. The Conejo Park and Recreation has a bunch of classes of all types each season.

Conejo Recreation & Park District

Hiking trails:

Thousand Oaks Hiking Trails | California Forests and Parks | TRAILSOURCE.COM

You could utilize meetup.com:

Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

The Will Geer Theater out in Topanga has plays on occasion:

The Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum

You can also use yelp.com for things to do: Thousand Oaks Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

Also, this guide: Welcome! - Conejo Valley Guide

The Civic Arts Plaza: Thousand Oaks - Civic Arts Plaza

A cool place to see bands: The Canyon Club - Enjoy the Ride - Home

A place that's beautiful - and close by in Thousand Oaks:

Gardens of The World

Zuma Beach is 14 miles away. Ventura and Santa Barbara are up the coast just waiting to be explored.

There is a lot to do in Thousand Oaks. You just have to know where to look.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 85,872 times
Thanks everybody for the reply....

special thanks to (((cricket_factor)))

I go to gym almost everyday...24 hours fitness....and I know there is one in TO as well....I'm already member in meetup.com that's how I found friends in Pasadena....

True....there is lots of things to do anywhere in the world as long as you are looking for it....

I think my best bet is buying a nice home in TO....I always can rent it out and move to Pasadena....hmmmm

Thanks again
Kate

Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM

897 posts, read 1,593,298 times
And you couldn't find something in the San Fernando Valley like in Granada Hills or Woodland Hills or Winnetka or even Canoga Park (don't be fooled, Canoga Park has some pretty awesome areas adjacent to Woodland Hills) or Calabasas? Have I been given the wrong information all these years by folks telling me that all the areas I mentioned are cheaper than 1K Oaks?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar121 View Post
I love hiking, swimming, salsa dancing and dining out.....also, I would like to go to beach and even would love to try surfing and I like kayaking.

Kate
Hello Kate,

From the list of things that you like to do the Thosand Oaks area looks like it would be a good fit for you.

Lots of hiking areas in every direction not too far from the City.

Many places to go swimming including some of those outdoor hiking areas. Many of the fitness centers have pools.

Salsa Dancing is available. One of my co-workers is into that and met her current boyfriend after she started taking lessons.

You have plenty of dining places within the area and within a short drive of the area.

Plenty of beaches within the area. You have a choice of heading over the Conejo Grade and into Oxnard, Port Hueneme, or Ventura or also Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County