Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,022 times

Advertisements

We're looking into moving to Ventura because of cooler weather, but know nothing about the town or the best places to live that are in or near downtown areas. Well past child raising years but still active and enjoy good restaurants and congenial people. Any ideas for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM

98 posts, read 605,493 times
Ventura has an old downtown that has been revived and is now thriving. Lots of restaurants there. As far as housing, the west end is a pretty rough area that you might want to stay away from. Interesting in its own way.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM

43 posts, read 196,701 times
When we were looking for an area in Ventura county our choices were Ventura, Oxnard, or Camarillo. We eventually chose Camarillo for the safety, cleanliness, home town feel, and overall family environment. We are about 10 miles from the closest beach which is Point Magu and only a small drive to Ventura. I love the choice we made, especially after getting to know the other towns as well. We are close to Thousand Oaks as well where there is a lot of shopping and we have all the outlets here in Camarillo.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
You guys are making me homesick.

Edit: will post to https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...emories-3.html instead.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM

676 posts, read 3,077,376 times
If you noticed a deal for a rental it will most likely be on the west side off the Ventura Avenue. I don't recommend renting there. I LOVED living off Poli Street and walking downtown. It is close to the Avenue, so unless you know the area it can be confusing. I recommend trying to get in contact with someone who personally knows the area. Camarillo and Ventura are two completely different types of cities and I personally lean more towards Ventura. Camarillo is more big box stores and cookie cutter neighborhoods. There is nothing wrong with Camarillo, I would live there in a heartbeat, but if I had my first choice, it would be Ventura. About ten years ago when I was looking for rentals, I remember California Oaks Property Management having a lot of rental listings. The newspaper is the Ventura County Star.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,083,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelady4larry View Post
We're looking into moving to Ventura because of cooler weather, but know nothing about the town or the best places to live that are in or near downtown areas. Well past child raising years but still active and enjoy good restaurants and congenial people. Any ideas for us?
Downtown or mid-town should suit you well. That is anywhere along Main Street or Thompson Avenue from Ventura Avenue to around Loma Vista. Poli Street is nice, but a lot of traffic on a narrow street. Try to get a place away from the street side if you rent an apartment there.

The Avenue area isn't all bad any more. It used to be where gangs and druggies hung out and can still be, but the city has been trying to fix the area. Don't discount it completely. South of Stanley is the oldest area, dense, old houses, but some redone charmers, too. North of Stanley you'll find some newer condos and apartments. One thing the Avenue has going for it: it's right on the Ventura to Ojai Bike Path!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Downtown or mid-town should suit you well. That is anywhere along Main Street or Thompson Avenue from Ventura Avenue to around Loma Vista. Poli Street is nice, but a lot of traffic on a narrow street. Try to get a place away from the street side if you rent an apartment there.

The Avenue area isn't all bad any more. It used to be where gangs and druggies hung out and can still be, but the city has been trying to fix the area. Don't discount it completely. South of Stanley is the oldest area, dense, old houses, but some redone charmers, too. North of Stanley you'll find some newer condos and apartments. One thing the Avenue has going for it: it's right on the Ventura to Ojai Bike Path!
True, I am more old school before they cleaned up the Avenue! There are still some undesirable parts, but you are correct about not discounting it completely. I lived in two places right off Poli and miss it so much. I loved being able to walk to the beach and downtown. That is still my favorite part of Ventura.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
True, I am more old school before they cleaned up the Avenue! There are still some undesirable parts, but you are correct about not discounting it completely. I lived in two places right off Poli and miss it so much. I loved being able to walk to the beach and downtown. That is still my favorite part of Ventura.
Yes, it's pretty cool. In my late 20s I lived near the Meta Market and liked the same characteristics about the area as you describe about Poli St. The only thing that can get to you is the homeless. They are harmless, but it gets tiring being approached all the time. Also walking at night on Thompson has its creepy side. Those things are still not much better all these many years later. And, with economic downturns will probably persist for a while.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Yes, I would find a homeless woman in my laundry room sometimes on Poli. I was also near the Circle K, so I would get some interesting people walking by! I lived off the Avenue in my 20's and it was some great people watching at my burrito joints. I also constantly ate at Corrales on Thompson/Ash and witnessed my fair share of characters. That hotel on the corner of Thompson and Ash had their questionable customers. I think a person not familiar with Ventura who wants to live closer to downtown needs to get some advice from a local just to make sure they aren't too close to certain bad spots along Thompson, Avenue, etc. But, in the 10 years I lived there I never got bothered by anyone.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Yes, I would find a homeless woman in my laundry room sometimes on Poli. I was also near the Circle K, so I would get some interesting people walking by! I lived off the Avenue in my 20's and it was some great people watching at my burrito joints. I also constantly ate at Corrales on Thompson/Ash and witnessed my fair share of characters. That hotel on the corner of Thompson and Ash had their questionable customers. I think a person not familiar with Ventura who wants to live closer to downtown needs to get some advice from a local just to make sure they aren't too close to certain bad spots along Thompson, Avenue, etc. But, in the 10 years I lived there I never got bothered by anyone.
I was in the area for eight years and only had two serious "incursions." One happened at the very Circle K you mentioned. Some nutball got in my face accusing me of "dogging" him. WTF?? I was just walking into the store for some gum, or something. At the time I had a broken arm and a cast from my fingers past my elbow. Are you seriously challenging me to a "duel" with my arm in a sling? The guy threw a few insults at me and was on his way. Another time our house was burglarized, but I think it was the owner's handyman who did it. We could never prove that. Would have to point out that these kinds of incidents are not daily problems in Ventura downtown or mid-town, though you do run into some rough characters there now and then.

Thomson and Ash, the Vagabond? I used to walk over there and have dinner in their restaurant sometimes. The food was good and reasonably priced. Would sit at the counter and entertain myself watching and listening to the regular characters there.

Though I sometimes miss many things about the area, I wouldn't go back. I'm hedging my bets on the new and revitalizing areas of Oxnard instead.

ETA: Enlightenme, when were you in the area? I was there from 86 - 94, about.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-25-2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Question for Enlightenme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County