Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,352 times

Advertisements

Just a wonderful time this past week. These towns are just wonderful. Sure there are issues as all towns have but just an amazing week in Southern CA.

I love Meditation Mtn Ojai. Had a great week in Ventura, nice Beach Town. Malibu geesh what can you say about that elite place, but the beaches, wow, great. Monday was a day to remember. Zuma beach ... The pier in Santa Monica. The Beach area Venice. Driving around the city was not bad, the freeways???? 405 is the most congested highway in the WORLD!! 14 miles in 1.3/4 hours a week ago around 4:30 pm heading north from LAX!!!

Will not do that ever again.

That PCH just fun and beautiful.

I will be back in November! For a month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Glad you had such a wonderful time. Did you take the PCH from Ventura county to Malibu? That is one of the best scenic routes. I live in the San Fernando Valley and when the weather gets hot, i'll head up to Ventura and head back down PCH to Malibu.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

42 posts, read 153,193 times
I'm happy to hear you had a great time. The next time you visit Southern CA visit Manhattan Beach. It's beautiful there and I think you would like it. Reading your post makes me want to go Santa Monica again.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Glad you had such a wonderful time. Did you take the PCH from Ventura county to Malibu? That is one of the best scenic routes. I live in the San Fernando Valley and when the weather gets hot, i'll head up to Ventura and head back down PCH to Malibu.

Yes we did. Neptunes net for a few drinks. Just fun time.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlae View Post
I'm happy to hear you had a great time. The next time you visit Southern CA visit Manhattan Beach. It's beautiful there and I think you would like it. Reading your post makes me want to go Santa Monica again.

Its on the agenda!!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,594 times
i love ventura. its my favorite city in all of socal.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Good to hear that you loved your stay in my part of the world. We all love it too.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
That's what I used to do back in the day, SFV - Vta - Malibu - SFV, until one day I simply didn't make the Vta - Malibu - SFV leg and just stayed in Ventura (and Oxnard). No regrets!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
That's what I used to do back in the day, SFV - Vta - Malibu - SFV, until one day I simply didn't make the Vta - Malibu - SFV leg and just stayed in Ventura (and Oxnard). No regrets!

Ventura, Yes very nice, That coffee shop downtown, the beach, the nice restaurants, the beach, ojai up the road, meditation mt. Really a heck of a nice place. I was impressed. I mean even with all the troubles with the CA budget. I wonder though how it really is long term. I did notice the little things like trash at the beaches was not picked up on a daily basis. Issues with homeless, like i have always said if I was without a place to live Ventura santa barbara would be a place to stay. Its warm. Soooo the little warts are really not a problem. This east coast couple would think about heading there two or 3 months a year. We shall see.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Ventura, Yes very nice, That coffee shop downtown, the beach, the nice restaurants, the beach, ojai up the road, meditation mt. Really a heck of a nice place. I was impressed. I mean even with all the troubles with the CA budget. I wonder though how it really is long term. I did notice the little things like trash at the beaches was not picked up on a daily basis. Issues with homeless, like i have always said if I was without a place to live Ventura santa barbara would be a place to stay. Its warm. Soooo the little warts are really not a problem. This east coast couple would think about heading there two or 3 months a year. We shall see.
Ventura beaches are a little rough. Personally, I prefer Oxnard beaches, no rocks, wide swaths of sand, nice dunes and clean.

How is it long term? Well, just like any place after you get to know the "inside seems" you'll notice stuff. For me both Ventura and Oxnard have a "rusticness" about them that I find attractive. It's unpretentious, and I like that. (BTW, after almost a quarter century in the area, Ventura/Oxnard is just one place to me. The differences between the two cities are nuanced, but as a practical matter of daily life, one is no better or worse than the other.)

Residing long term in Ventura, you see a lot of homeless. I lived downtown Ventura for several years and got used to them, but it did also get to me. At times I felt uncomfortable in Plaza Park or on the Promenade, being approached by sometimes young guys asking for handouts. It especially got to me when it happened on my days off from work. I got in the habit of bringing extra fruit in a backpack for handing out instead of declining to give money. (Don't always want to say "no!")

Ventura now has taken a very liberal approach to dealing with homelessness by officially sanctioning it. (IOW, it's not illegal to be homeless.) Not that I oppose such social policies, per se, but I wonder what it means in the long run. Ventura seems to not have a long-range plan to backup this new short-term policy. I understand homelessness, but I also understand paths to housing. Ventura seems to be addressing only one side of this equation.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-19-2009 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: coupla' quick edits. ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County