Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 61,733 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're considering buying a home in Moorpark. We live in the SFV but now are permanent WFH and want more space and considering the prices, LA County is looking unattainable for the sq ft we want. We're a couple in our 30s looking to have a child soon.

We're looking in Simi, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park (also considering Camarillo, Oxnard and Ventura).

It's sort of hard to know what our LA friends will think, if they'll come to visit, or if we'll miss being somewhat close to the LA Basin/Pasadena and the other things LA has to offer, restaurants etc. If visiting LA for friends and entertainment will be a drag or a welcomed change that has nothing to do with a work commute. But I guess that's an entirely different conversation we have to reconcile with.

I wanted to know about Moorpark in particular:

- Is there any expectations that Moorpark will be more like Thousand Oaks in the future? Is it a place on the up and up? I feel like people like us, being priced out and wanting more space for our $$$ will continue to move out there and the train connectivity seems to be to be a draw for commuters. Looks like it has every reason to be a more desirable place to live.

- Does it have the same reputation as Simi Valley? Or no reputation at all?

- Are the schools anywhere as good as those in TO?

- Should we just try and live in Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park (for a slightly smaller place for the $) or take a (slight) chance on Moorpark (that it is a good place and will continue to be so) and live further out?

- Moorpark is definitely cooler, weather-wise, than the SFV, right?

- Are the winds as bad as Porter Ranch?

Anyone who moved to Moorpark in the last 3 years can speak to this, or a long time resident?

Any and all insight is welcome!

Last edited by Tia786; 01-15-2022 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 02:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia786 View Post
Hi, we're considering buying a home in Moorpark. We live in the SFV but now are permanent WFH and want more space and considering the prices, LA County is looking unattainable for the sq ft we want. We're a couple in our 30s looking to have a child soon.

We're looking in Simi, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park (also considering Camarillo, Oxnard and Ventura).

It's sort of hard to know what our LA friends will think, if they'll come to visit, or if we'll miss being somewhat close to the LA Basin/Pasadena and the other things LA has to offer, restaurants etc. If visiting LA for friends and entertainment will be a drag or a welcomed change that has nothing to do with a work commute. But I guess that's an entirely different conversation we have to reconcile with.

- Is there any expectations that Moorpark will be more like Thousand Oaks in the future? Is it a place on the up and up? I feel like people like us, being priced out and wanting more space for our $$$ will continue to move out there and the train connectivity seems to be to be a draw for commuters. Looks like it has every reason to be a more desirable place to live.

- Should we just try and live in Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park (for a slightly smaller place for the $) or take a (slight) chance on Moorpark (that it is a good place and will continue to be so) and live further out?

Anyone who moved to Moorpark in the last 3 years can speak to this, or a long time resident?

Check info here. Scroll all the way down for a lot of information.

Air quality is bad however.

This gets worse with the fires that are quite common now in CA and at times very close to Moorpark. I have not been there in a while, though I lived in the SFV at one time, so others can give you updated info.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 61,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Check info here. Scroll all the way down for a lot of information.
Check info where?

Old 01-17-2022, 02:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Check info where?
Oops sorry.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Moorpark-California.html

Old 01-21-2022, 12:38 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
It has been awhile. I have lived in Moorpark, T.O., and Simi, (also Ventura most recently and Fillmore most distantly). Of them, I enjoyed being in Moorpark the most. The air quality is usually better than in the Valley. Primarily due to the prevailing westerlies. Commuting back to L.A. would now be much more difficult and stressful since I was there. Not sure I could do it. Being close to the beaches and a weekend get-away to the central coast was a big advantage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reputation". Simi and Moorpark are both 'bedroom communities'. For many, many years, Simi, Moorpark, and T.O. were rated as some of the safest cities in the state for their size, (along with Santa Clarita). They are good places to raise a family. Recreation opportunities are abundant.

I would live in any of them again with little coaxing or urging, (Simi, T.O., or Moorpark). Wonderful places.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-25-2022, 05:28 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Development Approved For 635 Los Angeles Avenue, In Moorpark

https://layimby.com/2022/02/developm...-moorpark.html

755 Unit Community Planned For Hitch Ranch, In Moorpark

https://layimby.com/2022/02/755-unit...-moorpark.html

Development Approved For 226 High Street, In Moorpark

https://layimby.com/2022/02/developm...-moorpark.html

Old 04-18-2022, 07:47 AM

564 posts, read 1,722,450 times
Quote:

Moorpark will never be TO. TO and Newbury Park have much more prestige associated with them than Moorpark. Prices go up more in TO. But, with that being said, Moorpark is not at all a bad place to live, and comes right after NP.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
If you're WFH, head straight to Camarillo or Ventura.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:48 PM

10 posts, read 52,536 times
Stay out of Simi, especially the east end, if you are planning on having kids. Due to Rocketdyne, there are a lot of kids with rare cancers. There are several local mothers who appeared on a show on msnbc, if I recall correctly. Here’s one article https://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20...clear-accident

Last edited by Whysper; 04-23-2022 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Dang autocorrect

Old 05-16-2022, 11:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It has been awhile. ... Commuting back to L.A. would now be much more difficult and stressful since I was there. Not sure I could do it.
It may have been a while, so perhaps before Metrolink expanded commuter service, but it's a good option for hundreds of daily commuters: Metrolink - Moorpark to LA Union - M-F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County