Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 PM

417 posts, read 816,073 times

Advertisements

I am researching relocation options and am intrigued by Ventura County. I love the location and I miss the CA lifestyle. The one thing that concerns me is the tennis scene in the area. It doesn’t look like there are many tennis clubs. Tennis is my favorite pastime and finding some players who share that interest and play at a comparable level is important to me.

For those of you who are tennis enthusiasts, do you have sufficient playing opportunities? Are there a few good tennis clubs in the area that offer a good variety of clinics and league opportunities? I play or practice 4-5 days/week right now and would like to maintain that level of activity.

I’d prefer not to join a country club due to the expense but would consider it if that were the only option for finding good tennis. I wouldn’t know anyone in the area so if the club required references from members, I’d be out of luck.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 11:41 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
It has been awhile, so things have probably changed. When I lived in VC, Simi Valley and Moorpark had a decent Parks and Rec tennis program. USTA leagues are over the hill in San Fernando Valley, (don't know if there are any USTA leagues in Ventura County). Ojai has some pretty awesome courts downtown and they host a major college tennis tournament every year. And you have Camarillo, where the Bryan twins grew up and where their parents still live, (they are/were coaches). There is a club in Westlake where they have, in addition to hard courts, clay and grass courts. First, and only, time I played on red clay was there. Gave me a whole new appreciation for clay court tennis. It is so different than hard court tennis.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-16-2021, 04:13 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Tennis is all over around me. Public parks, the HOA and a local private club.

https://wac.caclubs.com/tennis

https://www.sunsethillsclub.com/tennis

Sunset Hills doesn't require a reference. I've heard lots of good things about that club (and they have a year round heated outdoor pool).

Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 57,592 times
Here's a breakdown of the clubs in Ventura County.
  • Ojai Valley Racquet Club - Ojai
  • Pierpont - Ventura
  • Sunset Hills - Thousand Oaks
  • WAC - Westlake Athletic Club - Westlake

Sunset and Westlake are about 15 mins apart, while Pierpont and Ojai could be a drive depending on where you live. All of those clubs will have leagues and clinics and it's a great way to meet people. I'm no longer a member at one of the clubs and now just play at local parks/schools/colleges.

If you are a player in the USTA 3-4.5 range you will have the most class/leagues available. Anything at the 5.0+ level thins out in terms of access to players.

I would highly recommend picking up a ball machine to work out with while you build up your player contact list as it will take about a year to get a reliable group of people to play with. Check out the app TennisPal

btw: since the pandemic, tennis popularity has increased about 22% from what I read(ball sales) so that is a good thing, except when trying to find a court during prime times (730-10am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I am researching relocation options and am intrigued by Ventura County. I love the location and I miss the CA lifestyle. The one thing that concerns me is the tennis scene in the area. It doesn’t look like there are many tennis clubs. Tennis is my favorite pastime and finding some players who share that interest and play at a comparable level is important to me.

For those of you who are tennis enthusiasts, do you have sufficient playing opportunities? Are there a few good tennis clubs in the area that offer a good variety of clinics and league opportunities? I play or practice 4-5 days/week right now and would like to maintain that level of activity.

I’d prefer not to join a country club due to the expense but would consider it if that were the only option for finding good tennis. I wouldn’t know anyone in the area so if the club required references from members, I’d be out of luck.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Tennis is all over around me. Public parks, the HOA and a local private club.

https://wac.caclubs.com/tennis

https://www.sunsethillsclub.com/tennis

Sunset Hills doesn't require a reference. I've heard lots of good things about that club (and they have a year round heated outdoor pool).
Thanks so much. Sunset Hills sounds interesting, especially since references aren’t required. I’ve never been a country club member but I love tennis so much that I’d join one for the variety of events that are typically offered at a country club tennis facility.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopps View Post
Here's a breakdown of the clubs in Ventura County.
  • Ojai Valley Racquet Club - Ojai
  • Pierpont - Ventura
  • Sunset Hills - Thousand Oaks
  • WAC - Westlake Athletic Club - Westlake

Sunset and Westlake are about 15 mins apart, while Pierpont and Ojai could be a drive depending on where you live. All of those clubs will have leagues and clinics and it's a great way to meet people. I'm no longer a member at one of the clubs and now just play at local parks/schools/colleges.

If you are a player in the USTA 3-4.5 range you will have the most class/leagues available. Anything at the 5.0+ level thins out in terms of access to players.

I would highly recommend picking up a ball machine to work out with while you build up your player contact list as it will take about a year to get a reliable group of people to play with. Check out the app TennisPal

btw: since the pandemic, tennis popularity has increased about 22% from what I read(ball sales) so that is a good thing, except when trying to find a court during prime times (730-10am)

Thank you - I will look up all of these places. I’m a 4.0 so I’m guessing I wouldn’t have trouble finding clinics in the area. Hopefully I could find a league and a team that might need players.

You’re right, it can take a while to get a nice inner circle of tennis friends. I’m stuck in a Midwestern town where people tend to live here all their lives. As a newcomer, it has been tough to break in since league players have been together for years, if not decades. I attend a ton of clinics because I’ve had a hard time breaking into a tennis circle and finding a regular group to play with. I hope it won’t be quite as hard in CA.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:53 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Ever play on clay?

Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Ever play on clay?
Yes, I’ve played on clay quite a few times.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Yes, I’ve played on clay quite a few times.
Is playing on clay, a priority for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County