Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 10:28 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times

Advertisements

I am ignoring mask mandate as it's not enforceable and no one is trying to enforce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No one is getting this virus from grocery shopping. Come on.
Any indoor space where the virus can linger.

Like the 4 parties in my neighborhood this weekend. 30+ attendees. No masks. No distancing.

I'm glad to see we'll be done with this thing sooner rather than later. I'd thank them for taking themselves out of the pool of immunologically naive population, but they'd probably think I was making a criticism.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I am ignoring mask mandate as it's not enforceable and no one is trying to enforce it.
And you're putting other's lives at risk in the process. Does that matter to you at all or do you have no care whatsoever for other people in your community?

Old 07-05-2020, 11:35 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
And you're putting other's lives at risk in the process. Does that matter to you at all or do you have no care whatsoever for other people in your community?
No it do not matter to me. To be clear, i do not care about other people in the community.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:39 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Any indoor space where the virus can linger.
You'd probably have to be shopping in that grocery store for hours, with many other people there, to contract the virus.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
You'd probably have to be shopping in that grocery store for hours, with many other people there, to contract the virus.
Are you trying to argue that you are more likely to contract COVID-19 from the beach than from the grocery store? Because that is the context here.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Are you trying to argue that you are more likely to contract COVID-19 from the beach than from the grocery store? Because that is the context here.
Grocery stores tend to enforce wearing of masks and social distancing. Its not the beach itself that is dangerous. Its the fact that so many folks don't wear masks and congregate in large groups. So yes, that does make it more dangerous.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Grocery stores tend to enforce wearing of masks and social distancing. Its not the beach itself that is dangerous. Its the fact that so many folks don't wear masks and congregate in large groups. So yes, that does make it more dangerous.
Well, I'll give you that a lifeguard who rescues a COVID carrier, that coughs in their face, may be more at risk than a check-out clerk who wears a mask, sits behind plexiglas, and only deals with masked patrons.

Party for hours on the windy beach or a masked visit to the recirculated-air grocery store? Maybe. I'm not convinced.

What I am convinced of is that those who would party on the beach will just go party at home, indoors if it's hot (which it has been inland), so closing the beaches to everyone is counterproductive if you want to slow the spread of the virus.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
No. (You seem to be fixated on the injustice of beach closures, though.) No one shops, unmasked, at a grocery store for hours. The risk of grocery store contagion would be for the employees who work there all day, not the customers who are inside the store for a relatively short amount of time.

Quote:
Grocery stores tend to enforce wearing of masks and social distancing. Its not the beach itself that is dangerous. Its the fact that so many folks don't wear masks and congregate in large groups.
Exactly.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
No. (You seem to be fixated on the injustice of beach closures, though.) No one shops, unmasked, at a grocery store for hours. The risk of grocery store contagion would be for the employees who work there all day, not the customers who are inside the store for a relatively short amount of time.
Exactly.
Replace "injustice" with "idiocy"

Replace "beach closures" with "many of the knee-jerk reactions to COVID-19"

And you're there.

The beach closures didn't affect me. I live at the beach and I certainly wasn't planning on joining the cluster on the 4th. I prefer having it all to myself on weekday mornings. What they did affect was everyone who went to an indoor party rather than the beach. My problem is the total lack of evidence-based governance at all levels.

It's been 4 months now. We supposedly have tens of thousands of tracker/tracers. We should have an ENORMOUS database of how, where, and when people are getting infected. We should have hundreds of thousands of data points indicating where an infected person was and how many infections stemmed from that visit to the grocery, beach, school, house party, hospital, etc.

That data should be published and used as justification for shutting down a hair salon while leaving a tattoo parlor open. The governor should be able to cite 500 cases of beach transmission as why the beaches were shut down, and only 1 case in 1000 exposures in an outdoor dining area, showing why they can stay open.

But we don't have any of that. I'm dumbfounded that almost EVERY single so-called "science-based" decision being made is coming from European or Chinese studies of the virus, usually by the Europeans and Chinese. Hell, even Australia is doing a better job making evidence-based decisions than us. We just seem to be in this social-media-driven guess-and-don't-check mode, and it's pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County