Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

OP, you may have to consider townhomes, if that's ok with you. Have you looked at RE listings in the areas you're considering? That would be a good way to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 11:02 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,007,630 times
There is beautiful countryside in the Solvang/Buellton area... but perhaps it's already been bid up,
even though it's a long way from LA... SLO has already been discovered and bid up, people say.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:51 PM

34 posts, read 93,920 times
We've found a lot of lots available under 350k, so we're going to start looking at some of these and see where it goes.

Definitely looking at Solvang and Buellton.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM

34 posts, read 93,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you may have to consider townhomes, if that's ok with you. Have you looked at RE listings in the areas you're considering? That would be a good way to start.
Why would we consider a townhouse??? That sounds like the opposite of what we want...

Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenblue View Post
Will look at Susana Knolls, Box Canyon, etc.

The link you posted is totally uninteresting to us, unfortunately. We would prefer to have a small house and a large open space to anything suburban.
Maybe like this in the Ventura area inland?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/9_zm/0_mmm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/9_zm/0_mmm/

Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Californians, in general, are pretty wrapped up in living some sort of dream. (Be it beach bum, crunchy, eco-friendly, social-justice, urbanite, wine affectionado, throwback conservative, etc.) So be prepared to meet a lot of loopy people, and possibly become ones, yourselves.
It's mostly the transplants who do this sort of thing. Lifelong Californians are generally less scenester-ish.

Regardless, do whatever makes you happy!

Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
It's mostly the transplants who do this sort of thing. Lifelong Californians are generally less scenester-ish.

Regardless, do whatever makes you happy!
Lifelong Californians in my neighborhood are generally the most over-the-top about this. Lots of grown-up kids living with their parents so they can live their dream of being a surfboard shaper (and waiter) or ribbon-dancer (and bartender).

If I sound condescending about this, I'm not. I lived and worked in countries where it was the social norm to live in your parents' home to enable you to make a better life for yourself and your family. I thought that was a positive, but I always thought it was a negative that the younger generation, in these places, was pressed to do things they didn't enjoy. I think it's great that lifelong Californians can leverage their parents' property, and the gig economy, to afford to pursue/live their dreams OR launch out into the wide world. The more opportunity, the more choices, the more happiness, the better.

Not to mention, the result is really fun eclectic services for the community, and happy people providing/selling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County