Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:58 PM

98 posts, read 62,739 times

Advertisements

I believe an Uber will be too expensive since it is almost a 2-hour drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 04:05 PM

14,336 posts, read 11,733,236 times
You can take a shared airport shuttle such as PrimeTime for about $65, which is about $20 less than Uber. I don't recommend a bus...you would have to change buses and it would not be that easy or convenient.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can take a shared airport shuttle such as PrimeTime for about $65, which is about $20 less than Uber. I don't recommend a bus...you would have to change buses and it would not be that easy or convenient.
Great, thanks!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM

45 posts, read 82,775 times
Default Santa Barbara Shuttle Bus to LAX

Another alternative: https://www.sbairbus.com/page/display/laxshuttle

Old 05-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw57 View Post
As I will be with my wife and 2 daughters maybe the Uber will be less expensive?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,707,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Clua View Post
As I will be with my wife and 2 daughters maybe the Uber will be less expensive?

Thanks!
I have a family of 4 so I can relate:

For you, the cheapest way is probably renting a car 1-way. Do you work for a company that gives you a corporate discount on car rentals?

I can rent a minivan 1-way, with 24 hours of use, from LAX to any Ventura drop-off for $75.
Other options:
Shared ride RoadRunner / Supershuttle (recommended) / Smart Shuttle for 4: about $100
Airporter Shuttle (only goes to the Marriott at Ventura Harbor and a few other stops): Around $130 for your whole family.
Uber: About $130
Private RoadRunner/SuperShuttle: About $130

I hate driving, but I still recommend renting a car if it's cheaper. The curbside car rental shuttle pick-up at LAX is pretty easy, and it's nice to have the no-pressure option to stop for food/bathrooms/etc on your way if you get stuck in hours of traffic with young children.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times
If you aren't going on the weekend, the Ventura County Line Metrolink train is your cheapest option. You'll have to get to union station from LAX though, but many options exist. You could also look into how much Amtrak charges.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:29 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,707,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you aren't going on the weekend, the Ventura County Line Metrolink train is your cheapest option. You'll have to get to union station from LAX though, but many options exist. You could also look into how much Amtrak charges.
Metrolink only goes to Montalvo, and it only runs outbound during a very limited few hours in the afternoon. Amtrak isn't cheaper (it also only runs maybe 4-5 trains per day). It's at least $20pp, which means $80 for a family of 4. Add in the subway and/or bus from the airport (not to mention the huge PITA of spending 3-5 hours on public transportation after a 10+ hour flight from Brazil) and this is just not a reasonable option. I mean, biking or walking is cheaper, too. It would take about as long as trying to use LA's ridiculously poor public transit connections to Ventura.

Actually, if we're being ridiculous; their best bet is to take the airport public transit connection bus to the green line. Green line to the red line. Red line to the Orange Line (busway). Get off the Orange Line at Warner Center then get the long-range bus to Ventura midtown transit station. Then they could take the local bus to downtown. Probably a 10 hour journey. However, that would be about $2 for LA metro, $4 for long-range bus, and $1.50 for the local bus. So $8ish per person (I think the 5yo might be free) so $24 total.

Take public transit if you want to take public transit. It is not the best option, unless you don't care about time and difficulty. With a family of 4, I wouldn't do it.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I have a family of 4 so I can relate:

For you, the cheapest way is probably renting a car 1-way. ...
This is what we've done in the past. Family of 3, rent a car one-way. Car rental companies at LAX all have shuttles to your terminal. It's particularly nice on the return as you go straight home at your leisure with your bags and tired travelers.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 AM

Rented car it is...

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County