Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM

250 posts, read 182,792 times

Advertisements

OP, I'd strongly consider San Diego. It doesn't get as hot in the summer as LA county, and TO, and you could easily afford a home within 20 minutes to the beach. Traffic is no way near as horrid as LA, TO as well. Downtown is fun and hip too. Years ago, we drove to the mountains for lunch (45 minute drive), where a light snow was falling. After coming home, we saw that it was clear and sunny at the beach, so we then went on a motorcycle ride! Can't do that anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 02:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,955,578 times
I moved to So Calif back in 1948 from Hamilton.

Was born there so am familiar with Toronto weather.

Climate temp wise Ventura is the place you would love.

No Smog hot days and the City is limited to expansion because the City limits have reached their point.

I lived there 17 yrs as a business owner until retirement in 1996 down to Baja Mexico.

City is a beach town...middle upper class..Fwy runs thru north to Santa Barbara for an occasional fish dinner or down south to LA for a concert etc function of choice.

Spend a couple of weeks there during any Canadian winter month and you will die to return for the climate and temperature.
I am currently south of Rosarito Baja MX where I built my hillside home overlooking the ocean.

After Hamilton still like being close to the water.

Nothing against Westlake (slightly prudish) or Thousand Oaks ( T.O ) upper 90's Ventura would be best for anyone from Toronto.

Would take about 6 months for your blood to thin out for the warmer weather....you will thank me.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 02-01-2018 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-05-2018, 03:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,880,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You live there, I don't. Would you say it's too hot to play on playground equipment for a portion of the summer, or not?

I may have just driven up during the hottest days. It was a shock to go from a high of 72 in Ventura and then have it be 102 at the top of the grade!
I only have the benefit of one summer here to draw from. What was really noticeable is the temperature difference between about the Hampshire exit to the Kanan exit. On many days it could be 8 degrees.

My kids played in the summer at the park but would stick to the shady spots or go in the evening. There were really hot days in August, certainly in the 90s and for those days that's why you have a pool! We just had our first super bowl party where it wasn't dark depressing cold and wet outside.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 AM

246 posts, read 422,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You live there, I don't. Would you say it's too hot to play on playground equipment for a portion of the summer, or not?

I may have just driven up during the hottest days. It was a shock to go from a high of 72 in Ventura and then have it be 102 at the top of the grade!
It is rarely in the mid 90's and 100 is perhaps one or two days a year, if at all.

Location is everything in the Conejo valley. The south of the 101 including Newbury Park has temperatures that rival Camarillo and is significantly cooler. It can be 90 in Agoura and 75 in Newbury park.

We have friends in Newbury Park and throughout the summer find being outdoors quite pleasant.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,317,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4greatness View Post
If we bought, price range would be $2MM-3MM. We like sophisticated people, who are exciting, worldly and just fun lol (ambiguous comment perhaps!)
At that price range La Jolla is my number one choice!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 40,160 times
Thank you all for the updated responses. Going through them!

Steve, thank you for sharing your story, it is very motivating. I'll look into Ventura itself as well.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 40,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
At that price range La Jolla is my number one choice!
La Jolla in Sand Diego?

Can you advise why?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,317,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4greatness View Post
La Jolla in Sand Diego?

Can you advise why?
La Jolla is one of the best places on the Southern California coast. It has a very walkable business area with fabulous restaurants. It is close to all that San Diego has to offer including the diverse Asian restaurants of Convoy St., San Diego downtown, Old Town,the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, Seaworld, the Balboa Park musuems, Univ of California SD,and the walkable neighborhoods of Hillcrest and North Park. The traffic in San Diego is bad but it is much better than in the LA area.

In addition to La Jolla Cove Beach you will also have access to Pacific Beach, Del Mar Beach, Torrey Pines State Beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach. It is also easy to fly out of San Diego Airport.

Ventura is fine and it is probably one of the most affordable Southern California beach communities. It is more isolated along the coast and quieter instead of being part of the city like La Jolla is.

If you are looking in Ventura County be sure to consider places such as Westlake in the excellent Conejo Valley school district .

Check out this video on La Jolla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxPA_lEjUk

If you ever visit La Jolla I recommend taking the scenic back way in via Soledad Mountain Rd and Nautilus St instead of getting in the traffic on La Jolla Parkway.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,070,796 times
One question that comes to mind is why you would downgrade your lifestyle by moving to the USA from Canada. Most Canadians would never want to come to a country this dysfunctional.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,955,578 times
Nice to give an opinion while never having visited the Toronto area during the winter months or the humid summer evenings.

I was born in Hamilton (40 miles away) ..weather the same.

San Diego (La Jolla area) would be like San Francisco or New York City compared to Toronto.

Always best to first visit getting a feeling of the climate etc...I did with Arcadia and Sierra Madre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County