Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 34,246 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 and just divorced, raising a one year old on my own. I can't afford to stay in Santa Monica so looking at other options. Maybe Ventura? How are rents in the nice areas by the beach? I've checked craigslist but don't know the areas well enough to know what is safe etc. We are mellow, love the beach, gardening, wandering around people watching, looking at shops etc. Ventura seems like a good beach community. Is there an area that is walkable, safe and yet affordable? Is there a Trader Joes? Is it a pretty nice community? I'm also considering Pasadena but I'd really prefer the beach. I stay home with the baby so no commute. I like to be able to walk to a coffee shop, wander around etc. Any advice or info is appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
You'd be quite at home in Ventura. Compared to Santa Monica, Ventura is quite affordable (but I guess that's not saying much!).

If you want walkability, drift toward the downtown or midtown areas. Downtown will give you walkability to the beach, midtown will be a slightly longer stretch to the water but more affordable. We planted on the eastern edge of midtown (near the corner of Telegraph and Mills) and walk to everything we need - elementary & middle schools, YMCA, Trader Joe's, transit center, some great breakfast/coffee spots, lots of authenticity, choice of two large parks. The water is 1.5 miles away, which is an easy bike ride.

The pace is a lot slower here and the area much less dense. Folks are much more down to earth too. There are quite a few young ones here, plenty of activities from newborn on up. Joining the Y might be a good place to start to meet folks in a similar situation.

Good luck.

Last edited by HSP1161; 04-02-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Ventura is a very safe city. Ventura County is one of the safest counties in the nation. A recent report listed Ventura as the 79th safest city in the United States. Trader Joes is building a second location in Ventura right now. I thought that they were just replacing the old location but someone that shops there told me that it is a second Ventura location. Ventura also has 2 Targets about a mile or two apart. The older Target is getting a facelift and being turned into a Super Target. The newer Target at the Pacific View mall is a 2 story Target. Back in 2006 Outdoor Magazine listed Ventura as the #2 beach community in the world. It has a laid back attitude. The area has plenty of kid friendly things to do and a night life that is alive and well during the weekends anyway. we love to walk downtown during the evening hours and look around at the shops. On a Friday or Saturday night you will find lots of people walking around on Main Street hitting the clubs, shops and other places. Sometime it is just fun to people watch. The area is safe as well. As far as rentals you will mostly find single family homes and Condos near the beach. There are places not too far from the beach that have appartments for rent. Also much of Ventura is on a gentle sloping hillside. What that means is that you could have an amazing view of the ocean from a few miles in land. I know people that are far from the beach and have amazing views of the ocean. Many of the streets that come off of Main street have appartment that may also have a great view. I have seen 1 bedroom places for as low as $850. For the most part a 2 bedroom place in Ventura will be in the $1250 range starting out. Chances are you will not have AC but will not need it. You may have a heater but will not need it. Your utility cost in Ventura will be lower than in Pasadena.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Best wishes to you and your move to the area. I think that you will enjoy the area a lot. Do you have price ranges that you are looking at and would you considering renting some rooms from someone? It's an option. When I was renting out part of my place, I had a lot of single moms contact me because of the uniqueness of what I was offering.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info! Ideally I'd like to find a place that's walking distance to the beach and under a thousand a month, utilities included. That seems reasonable. Is downtown V pricier than that? Ladyklo, I'd be happy to find rooms in a house if it was the right fit. Ideally I'd like to find a small guesthouse or cottage, nothing fancy but with room for a little garden. I'm going to check out V in a few weeks, do you recommend certain areas of downtown to live (are some safer than others?) or midtown?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 PM

What do you consider walking distance to the beach? < 1/2 mile? < 1 mile? < 2 miles?

How many bedrooms? Bathrooms? Ideal square footage? Does it matter if it's older / not updated?

And I assume you want a safe area, too.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Yep, an old beach cottage would be ideal. Square footage is neither here nor there, I plan to share a room with the baby and mostly just want a cozy place. Maybe less than a mile to the beach? 10 min walk? No need for an updated place, just clean, basic, simple.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmabear View Post
Yep, an old beach cottage would be ideal. Square footage is neither here nor there, I plan to share a room with the baby and mostly just want a cozy place. Maybe less than a mile to the beach? 10 min walk? No need for an updated place, just clean, basic, simple.
I highly doubt you'll get what you're looking for in that price range. In perusing the listings, it looks closer to $1500 as a starting point.

MapsKrieg Search

Unless you're willing to share a house, then you can get closer to what you're looking for.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Oh good to know! Thanks! Maybe we are looking at not so close to the beach then to stay in that price range. I'll check out midtown, how far is that generally to the beach?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmabear View Post
Oh good to know! Thanks! Maybe we are looking at not so close to the beach then to stay in that price range. I'll check out midtown, how far is that generally to the beach?
Anywhere from .5 -2 miles from the water.

Map, Midtown Ventura

It's a desireable part of Ventura. There's also east Ventura, which has more housing but is further from the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County