Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 12:38 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,524,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Eggs can be and are an excellent addition to many peoples diets.........rich in B12, which does
not naturally exist in nearly any vegan foods.

I will not bother to debate this issue with you except to present the actual data on eggs. Eggs are not an "excellent" addition to many people's diets. Read the about the data. The science is what I follow. The egg industry has spent millions, likely billions, on lobbyists and advertising. The animal agriculture industry also does everything it can to squelch facts from getting out to the public. You have to educate yourself. They sure won't help you out! Also, B-12? I take a capsule 2 or 3x a week. Some foods, such as seawood, provide B-12. My B-12 levels are normal. And I don't clog my arteries or raise my risk factors for cancer.

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/eggs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 02:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,240,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Not true that a vegetariandiet can be healthy. Dairy and eggs are not healthy.
https://nutritionfacts.org/

I agree about Beyond Meat. Nobody needs to eat that garbage. I am a vegan for 4 years going on 5 and I don't ever eat that kind of thing.
Curious, are you vegan strictly for health reasons?

I just don’t see how you can actively dissuade people from supporting products that have meaningfully cut into the factory farming industry, unless you don’t really care about that. And this study has shown that beyond products aren’t nearly the sort of garbage you’re characterizing them to be, from a health standpoint.

For me, health reasons are far far less important in why I don’t eat meat compared to ethical reasons. And I will continue to support industries that take away power and money from factory farming.

Being vegan and really only eating whole, fresh foods is expensive for many Americans. And time consuming, if you want to prepare delicious tasting meals. Beyond meat is appealing to the masses in a way that kale and quinoa isn’t.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Not true that a vegetariandiet can be healthy. Dairy and eggs are not healthy.
https://nutritionfacts.org/

I agree about Beyond Meat. Nobody needs to eat that garbage. I am a vegan for 4 years going on 5 and I don't ever eat that kind of thing.
No need to be sanctimonious. I've been vegan for decades, when most people didn't even know what the word meant, and while I don't eat Beyond Meat, I do on occasion eat other plant-based meat substitutes. Nobody needs to do anything that brings them pleasure, but in my opinion, life isn't worth living if it's only about necessity. Nobody needs to eat potato chips or ice cream (vegan, of course) either, but just try stopping me!

Besides that, Beyond Meat has no cholesterol, so meat-eaters who have that concern might consider it a good option in place of beef to suit their particular health needs.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,966,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We are obligate carnivores (despite what the fringe elements claim) with some ability to be omnivorous.

Eat some raw meat and see how that works out for you. Humans are NOT obligate carnivores.

A cat is; look at a cat's teeth and digestive tract, and then look at a human's. Both are very different between the two species. Cats have one of the shortest digestive tracts of any mammal. It is also very acidic, so they can eat meat, inlcuding raw meat, that would be very unsafe for humans, whose digestive tract is much longer and more alkaline, are capable of handling. They also have teeth that are optimal for ripping and tearing meat into smaller chunks that are then swallowed whole. They don't have molar teeth, like humans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food