Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:16 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times

Advertisements

Maybe this would be a good time for people to start eating like a vegan. While many supermarket shelves, refrigerated cases, and frozen food cases are stripped bare by mobs of people buying everything in sight, I'm having absolutely no problems finding almond milk, oat milk, vegan meat substitutes, vegan hot dogs, vegan sausages, vegan hamburgers, seitan, vegan cheeses, vegan egg substitutes, prepared tofu dishes, etc. both in B&M grocery stores as well as online.

Those normally are not a major part of my diet, but they're easy to find, order, and have delivered in this time of other shortages. Omnivores might want to give some of them a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 11:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,468,690 times
I went shopping yesterday, and the Only shelf that was stripped bare where I wanted to buy something, was bread. But I can make that from scratch at home, just don't like running the oven when it's above 80F outside (yeah, summer is here already in Georgia). Butcher didn't have full cases, but there was some of everything. Milk and Eggs were 100% normal levels, as was the cheese and deli.

What I see is that people who have no clue how to prepare food, are wiping out the "eat out of the bag/box" foods and it's just business as normal for anyone who Actually knows how to combine base ingredients into a meal.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:04 PM

1,270 posts, read 683,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I went shopping yesterday, and the Only shelf that was stripped bare where I wanted to buy something, was bread. But I can make that from scratch at home, just don't like running the oven when it's above 80F outside (yeah, summer is here already in Georgia). Butcher didn't have full cases, but there was some of everything. Milk and Eggs were 100% normal levels, as was the cheese and deli.

What I see is that people who have no clue how to prepare food, are wiping out the "eat out of the bag/box" foods and it's just business as normal for anyone who Actually knows how to combine base ingredients into a meal.
I agree, and it was about the same here in North central Illinois. We went out yesterday to get a prescription filled, water and a few things from the store before today's shelter-in scheduled to begin at 5 pm. Kroger's was a madhouse, we were afraid that we wouldn't find what we needed but that was not the case. Only potatoes and onions were not to be found in produce. The bread aisle was bare but we bake our own. As Brian mentioned, the frozen microwave meals/ entrees section was bare. Real food... no problem. Makes me wonder how long most people who don't cook or want to cook can last if the $&!# hits the fan?

Old 03-21-2020, 10:22 PM

1,198 posts, read 671,365 times
Where I live it is getting very hard to find potatoes, rice, and some dried beans as the shelves and bulk bins are wiped out of them. Bread is also wiped out here but I usually make my own or get the organic sprouted frozen kind (ie food for life). Broccoli was completely gone last time I shopped but some produce is still plentiful. I don't eat meat (except occasional fish as I am pescetarian) but I do consume eggs and a little dairy (mostly just Greek yogurt). The yogurt is still very plentiful, but eggs were nearly gone last time I was at the store. Canned salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel and oysters were still very plentiful. I don't eat much processed foods so I don't pay attention to whether the vegetarian "meats" and "cheeses" are still plentiful, or non veg processed foods.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:43 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,135,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Maybe this would be a good time for people to start eating like a vegan. While many supermarket shelves, refrigerated cases, and frozen food cases are stripped bare by mobs of people buying everything in sight, I'm having absolutely no problems finding almond milk, oat milk, vegan meat substitutes, vegan hot dogs, vegan sausages, vegan hamburgers, seitan, vegan cheeses, vegan egg substitutes, prepared tofu dishes, etc. both in B&M grocery stores as well as online.

Those normally are not a major part of my diet, but they're easy to find, order, and have delivered in this time of other shortages. Omnivores might want to give some of them a try.
I know there are some items that are hard to find or not available at all and your idea may be something some would like to try. But, that being said, with the exception of maybe eggs, most food items are pretty available. I have had trouble finding rice, but other than paper products we have been lucky. Though the meat is somewhat limited it is there, as is milk, butter, etc. frozen dishes are not as plentiful which makes little sense to me,but I think I do not understand it as I still enjoy my cooking from scratch

Old 03-22-2020, 07:21 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know there are some items that are hard to find or not available at all and your idea may be something some would like to try. But, that being said, with the exception of maybe eggs, most food items are pretty available. I have had trouble finding rice, but other than paper products we have been lucky. Though the meat is somewhat limited it is there, as is milk, butter, etc. frozen dishes are not as plentiful which makes little sense to me,but I think I do not understand it as I still enjoy my cooking from scratch
That apparently, is not the case in some areas. Check out this horror story from a person who lives somewhere in Texas:

Wow, you are blessed! We have an HEB and Walmart, both are wiped out and have been since this started. They said they can't stock the shelves because what they get in goes so fast. We are out of a lot of things and what I try to add is sold out. We've given up trying to get TP, I took old fabric and cut it up to use and will have to wash it. There is ZERO eggs, milk, beans, soup, veggies, fruit, meat...well let's just say the stores are empty unless we want dog or cat food.

Each morning they are lined up waiting to get in, no chance to get anything if you must stay home and place a delivery order. Each day I go online and try to locate simple things, dry beans, oatmeal, even looked for dry milk...etc but I can't find anything at amazon or doing google searches. Oh I did find a few things but it's from 3rd parties on amazon and I can't afford their prices. They need to figure something out or people will starve to death....

My husband and I are down to 3 cans of soup, 1 sleeve of crackers, some olives, mustard, mayo, 3 slices of cheese and a can of pumpkin puree, we are rationing. We split a can of soup today, it was our lunch and dinner, we split a cup of coffee for breakfast, that is something else we can't get. I don't know what the answer is but if I don't get some things this week, we won't be eating.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57631871-post156.html

Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 AM

24,839 posts, read 11,275,033 times
Quote:
That apparently, is not the case in some areas. Check out this horror story from a person who lives somewhere in Texas:

Wow, you are blessed! We have an HEB and Walmart, both are wiped out and have been since this started. They said they can't stock the shelves because what they get in goes so fast. We are out of a lot of things and what I try to add is sold out. We've given up trying to get TP, I took old fabric and cut it up to use and will have to wash it. There is ZERO eggs, milk, beans, soup, veggies, fruit, meat...well let's just say the stores are empty unless we want dog or cat food.

Each morning they are lined up waiting to get in, no chance to get anything if you must stay home and place a delivery order. Each day I go online and try to locate simple things, dry beans, oatmeal, even looked for dry milk...etc but I can't find anything at amazon or doing google searches. Oh I did find a few things but it's from 3rd parties on amazon and I can't afford their prices. They need to figure something out or people will starve to death....

My husband and I are down to 3 cans of soup, 1 sleeve of crackers, some olives, mustard, mayo, 3 slices of cheese and a can of pumpkin puree, we are rationing. We split a can of soup today, it was our lunch and dinner, we split a cup of coffee for breakfast, that is something else we can't get. I don't know what the answer is but if I don't get some things this week, we won't be eating.

There are so many options for shut ins. I am not buying it.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,135,303 times
Quote:

our stores, especially Sam's have people lined up outside before they even open and most of our stores are offering special shopping hours for seniors only. Of course the stores are out of paper products as well as cleaning products, but in most cases food items are not an issue. As I mentioned eggs, and rice seem to be the big grocery issue. Our daughter had no problem getting everything she needed and a few items we needed at Aldi's hast Sat. They even had eggs, but we had already ordered eggs from a near by egg farm. We do have a pretty empty pantry but not as empty as yours I guess. The reason ours is empty has more to do with our donating a lot of cans to one of our local food banks that are doing home deliveries for those in need

BTW: I don't think we have to worry right now about people starving to death. This, hopefully like other viruses will run its course and we become a thing of the past in a few more moths.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 2,693,277 times
My family works in grocery in Texas. Besides the tp shortage, everything else is stocked. Granted, they don't work at HEB. I'm not buying the apocalypse at HEB story either way.

I notice people buying a lot of ramen noodles, rice, beans, and canned foods. There's plenty of fresh food, especially meat. It might be a good time to try Paleo. You'll need the muscle power when it devolves to hand-to-hand combat over the last remaining toilet paper roll.

Highly processed fake vegan food is not real food.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,291,655 times
I'm not a vegan but I have a serving of meat or fish maybe once a week and my diet is heavy on quinoa, barley, couscous, wheatberries, etc. I had a good supply of those before the Stuff hit the fan, although I do need to replenish my veggies weekly. Costco had a good supply last Thursday and I'm determined to wait till this Thursday to go out again.

I don't get the mania over stocking up one meat, either. One woman on another Board I'm on said that last week she'd gone to an Amish butcher she uses and bought $300 worth. That's for her, her DH and their adult daughter but still....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food