Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times

Advertisements

So I recently decided to go low carb, which has been working out extremely well. I drastically cut down on carbs from whole grains, and even brown rice and whole wheat items. Since I am getting carbs from other sources like Greek Yogurt, beans, and veggies, I'm feeling really good about this. In addition to this, I have been experimenting with the meatless burgers.

I have been on a mission to find Impossible Burgers ever since I had the Impossible Whopper at BK for a cheat meal one day. I was craving fast food since I never have it, and really wanted to see how this burger tasted. I ordered just the burger, and was really impressed. What made me really happy was not feeling like I swallowed a greasy sludge ball, and I didn't feel like crap. Yet I can't find the damn brand in stores to save my life! Are they exclusive to certain grocery stores? I live in New England, so it's either Stop & Shop, Shop Rite, Big Y, or Aldi. We have fancy stores like Trader Joe's, Stew Leonard's, and Whole Foods too. Not even going to bother with Price Chopper or Price Rite, as I have had bad luck with their meats. During my hunt, I bought some Beyond Burgers when they were on sale, and I was really impressed! I made a lettuce wrap out of it and it was pretty damn good. This past weekend, I picked up a package of Awesome burgers, and I was blown away! It really tasted like a real burger! I cooked it in a frying pan and saved the second one to throw on the grill. But man, I was so impressed with that one!

I guess if I can't find the Impossible brand, that I'll stick with Awesome, since I like it more than BB. Maybe I can order them online? I'd be nervous about how well they're packaged and maintained during the shipping process though. Which ones do you guys like if you eat them as well? Do you guys get creative with them and break up the patties and use them for taco meat, or for pasta with meat sauce? I was thinking of buying spaghetti squash and making a meat sauce with it. Do they offer a "ground beef" version of their products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
https://impossiblefoods.com/recipes/

You might find some locations close to you on this site.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://impossiblefoods.com/recipes/

You might find some locations close to you on this site.

Thank you! The closest locations are the next state over from me.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:50 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Thank you! The closest locations are the next state over from me.
I saw this, sometime in the near future you should see it.

https://observer.com/2019/09/impossi...stores-retail/

Old 10-21-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I saw this, sometime in the near future you should see it.

https://observer.com/2019/09/impossi...stores-retail/

Awesome! Thank you!

Old 10-21-2019, 02:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Beyond sells their products at Whole Foods and Sprouts.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Beyond sells their products at Whole Foods and Sprouts.

Yes, I'm able to purchase Beyond. I like them, but sometimes the house smells like them the next day and it's a bit of a turn off. I also noticed that anytime I burp after eating one, that I get a funny aftertaste from it. Not to say I'm being a pig and belching every second, but I don't really want to taste it when I burp two hours after eating them.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
I had one today it’s delicious!

Old 12-27-2019, 06:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I never heard of these burgers...here are the ingredients for the Beyond Burger - which you
can get at Target and Carl's Jr, apparently:

A Beyond Burger, includes 18 ingredients: water, pea proteinisolate, expeller-pressed canola oil,
refined coconut oil, rice protein, natural flavors, cocoa butter,
mung bean protein, methylcellulose, potato starch, apple extract, salt, potassium chloride,
vinegar, lemon juice concentrate, sunflower lecithin

I'm cutting animal fats, along with carbs...so I do sirloin hamburger, grass fed - just sayin.
Also found these 2-3 and 4 net carb tortillas! They're great, esp after heating them up a bit - for our
real or fake hamburgers to stay on topic.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:03 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
My wife had a coupon for Sweet Earth Foods (Nestlé) Awsome Burger patties and we bought a package at Frys (aka Kroger). The main ingredients of this beef substitute are water, pea protein, vegetable oils, salt and minor additives to get the color and texture.

I fried them in a non-stick pan with a bit of coconut oil. They browned up nicely, and like many veggie meats, frying leaves a thin film of black sooty glaze in the pan that flakes off. We ate them as the “meat” portion of a meal with broccoli and a potato skin as sides.

Taste? The term “mystery meat” comes to mind. There is no overriding flavor but it’s not unpleasant. The texture is similar to a finely ground pork sausage but without the pork and spice flavors. These patties are literally a blank pallet for seasonings and toppings. The inside is colored red and stays that way even when the patty is fully cooked to the 165F temperature in the directions.

Nutrition? : 260 cal, 7 g saturated fat, 26 g protein, 3 g net carbs, 400 mg sodium.

Would I buy them again? Yes, they would be fine at a cookout where some guests might want a veggie alternative to beef burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food