Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:12 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times

Advertisements

...that still have dairy in them?

Am I wrong in assuming that most people who eat alternative cheeses do so because they object to the conditions/treatment of dairy animals? Having dairy ingredients like casein in soy cheese kind of defeats the purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
I've never heard of this. If it has dairy, what makes it "alternative"?

Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post

Am I wrong in assuming that most people who eat alternative cheeses do so because they object to the conditions/treatment of dairy animals? Having dairy ingredients like casein in soy cheese kind of defeats the purpose.
I have wondered that myself. It makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that they are marketed to people who are looking for a lower cholesterol cheese. Just a thought.

Or, a bad tasting cheese-ish type product. There are better actual vegan cheeses on-line.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
I've never heard of this. If it has dairy, what makes it "alternative"?
Not sure. But I've got some now that's advertised as Soy cheese, yet it has casein in it.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:30 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default or food allergies

I have a friend who's allergic to dairy. So we seek out vegan restaurants,
even though neither of us is vegan. I want meat-free; he needs dairy-free.

So yeah, it's not clear what that product is for if it does contain dairy.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:48 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
What about almond cheese?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:52 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Trader Joe’s sells soy cheese that still has casein in it. I wonder if that’s what you bought? I think it may be geared toward people who are lactose intolerant, as it contains no lactose. Their almond shreds are completely vegan though.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Trader Joe’s sells soy cheese that still has casein in it. I wonder if that’s what you bought? I think it may be geared toward people who are lactose intolerant, as it contains no lactose. Their almond shreds are completely vegan though.
That is what prompted this thread. I know a couple other brands do the same thing though.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
If one was inclined to do so one could make casein in something which is not an animal, such as a plant or a bacteria. Like all proteins, its just basically a string of amino acids. Then it wouldn't be dairy.

People probably would want casein from bacteria or plants though, and it'd be an expensive way to make it. Plus everyone freaks out when they see GMO.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:13 PM

306 posts, read 545,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post

That's predominantly for the lactose-intolerant. I used to wonder about that myself, until I met someone who purchased Trader Joe's non-dairy cheese that had either whey or casein in it, and she said that she was fine eating that because it was such a small amount of the dairy product that it didn't affect her as far as being lactose intolerant. Not sure if that's how all lactose-intolerant people are, but you'd think that would be a segment of the market that could be eliminated with the plethora of vegan cheeses available these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food