Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,140,408 times

Advertisements

I gave up meat completely six months ago. Have been fine, have never been sorry even when I was at dinners where meat was served that I used to love. The taste of it is not worth knowing I am part of suffering.

But, for the past two days I have this bizarre craving for a turkey burger. It used to be something I ate frequently and could make easily for a quick dinner (and always cooked a little extra for the cats, lol.)

I am not going to buy or eat it, but it's so weird that after all this time I'm having a meat craving. What's up with that? I'm not even hungry right now--had oatmeal with peanut butter, bananas, raisins, and cashew milk for breakfast, and it was so good! But "turkey burger" is stuck in my head and keeps repeating itself in the form of imagination of tasting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,573,434 times
Have you ever tried the Gardein turky cutlets? They would make for a nice burger.
I've tasted them, they're good.
https://gardein.com/products/turky-cutlet/

Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM

No, I haven't really tried any of the "fake meat" products. I do eat veggie burgers, but they are marketed as veggie burgers (chickpea, mushroom, or black bean) and not pretending to be meat.

I don't know if that would be the answer. I think it will just pass on its own. If I let myself think about actually eating meat again, my stomach turns a little at the idea.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM

32,985 posts, read 36,507,139 times
It could just be that you haven't had one in a while. Sometimes I crave foods which I no longer eat for one reason or another.

Have you been keeping track of your diet? Is there something missing? Maybe you need some nice miso soup with wakame. It's vegan chicken soup.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It could just be that you haven't had one in a while. Sometimes I crave foods which I no longer eat for one reason or another.

Have you been keeping track of your diet? Is there something missing? Maybe you need some nice miso soup with wakame. It's vegan chicken soup.
Ha, I'll have to look for that. I like miso soup but I don't know what wakame is.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,352,234 times
I get those crazy dead animal cravings too. It's understandable when you consider how long I was a meat eater (nearly 5 decades). It's usually about craving salt and oil, so that's what I start looking around for in the kitchen to take care of it. I do eat eggs if they're from local chickens that run around free in a pasture, so fried eggs will fix it too. Not real big on soy, and don't eat wheat anymore, but those frozen fake BBQ ribs and phony chicken tenders tasted as good as the real thing to me. Yes, a few times I broke down and had a Big Mac and fries, but between the self recrimination and the boost in meat craving it wasn't worth it.

It's funny that you mentioned this, as earlier I was sitting down to a snack of red grapefruit, avocado, humus and chips, and it struck me how odd this was, since I used to be having fried chicken, roast beast sandwich, seafood gumbo, stuff like that. Truly, that still sounds wonderful, but obviously due to ethical and health reasons I don't eat that anymore. It still seems odd though.

If you eat wheat and soy, this recipe below look delicious. If you look around on the same website below there's also a recipe for carrot dogs that people seem to love. Might try that one next time, as well as figure out a wheat/soy free version of the Popeye's Chicken recipe.

Crispy Spicy Popeye's Chicken Style Vegan Fried Chicken - Blacks Going Vegan! : Blacks Going Vegan!

Last edited by smarino; 05-04-2016 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 09:51 AM

32,985 posts, read 36,507,139 times
That looks good. Throw a couple of hushpuppies and some slaw on that plate, and I'm there.

I did find a nice tempeh burger that had the chewiness of meat. It was the texture that I missed.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,584,432 times
Quorn is great. You can put quorn sausages on a plate and some meat eaters won't even know. Texture and taste is very satisfying. Their "chicken" is good and they also do "chicken" burgers. Though they don't specifically do turkey burgers.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,914,705 times
You just need an "umami kick." Spread some Marmite on something and it'll quench that meat lust. I've put Marmite in veggie soup and had folks swear there was meat in the soup.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:52 PM

I don't know what Marmite is! But thanks for the suggestions. It passed after a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food