Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times

Advertisements

I like Boca burgers but am not a fan of most mock meats. My kids still like to eat meat, though, so we've tried different things to see what's out there. They didn't like Gardein's "chick'n" tenders, and I wasn't attached enough to real ones (like for a salad) to keep them in the freezer. Recently our grocery store had a sale on their new mock fish tenders and crab cakes. I like fish tacos and tried them ... they're pretty good. The crab cakes are small, the size of a large scallop, and I had them today for lunch in a big salad. I liked them. The seasoning is pretty good, and they were nice and crunchy on the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,348,740 times
I'm still looking for the healthy veggie burger. Most of them have so much processed soy and wheat gluten in them, you may as well eat the cow! Might have to make my own, because what I see on the shelves in even the best health food stores looks awful in terms of how healthy the ingredients are.

They can do chicken well though. Many of the fake chicken nuggets taste very good, but we're off wheat and soy, so they're off the table for us. Those two food items (not the soybean, the processed soy) are very inflammatory and acidic.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
My daughter made kidney beans and kale burgers for dinner one night. Really good. Baked them in the oven.

The best veggie burger I ever had is not readily available. In Amsterdam, on the Museumplein (park area between the Rijks Museum and the Van Gogh Museum) there is a kiosk that sells soup, salad, and burgers. They have a vegetarian hemp burger that was very tasty and filling. Had it with the tomato soup. If you go to Amsterdam, try it!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,294,555 times
I like Quorn, Gardein and Morningstar products a lot.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:30 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I like Quorn, Gardein and Morningstar products a lot.
Morningstar has a mushroom-based burger I like a lot. I had one yesterday with Bush's vegetarian baked beans. They are good, but have a lot of grams of sugar because there is brown sugar in them. Shouldn't be doing that, but I sinned and went ahead and ate them with the shroom burger. Very tasty.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,294,555 times
^Then don't even think about trying Morningstar ribs.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,567,333 times
I love the Boca breakfast sausages. Very tasty.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
I don't eat as much meat analogues as I once did, but when I do, here are my absolute favorites -

1. Quorn chick'n cutlets. They make everything from a delicious chick'n salad to a snazzy main dish, when sauteed with a little evoo, wine or lemon and garlic. They are really versatile because they are unflavored. I also make a delicious Chickn, wild rice and broccoli casserole with them.

2. Nate's "Meat" balls. My family loves these! They come in two varieties - Italian and plain. The Italian ones make a great meatball hero, when covered with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, good with spaghetti for a classic spaghetti and meat ball dinner.
The unflavored variety are great for Swedish Meatballs and Meat Ball vegetable stew.

3. Huge fan of Tofurky products. Tofurky sausages are REALLY DELICIOUS! They make some excellent sausages - Beer brats, Italian, and my favorite, Polish Kielbassa. Their Artsan Line is excellent! Andouille Cajun , Chick'n Apple, and spinach pesto are ALL to die for!
With summer on it's way, they are easy to throw on the grill - and they are extra good when grilled.

4. Gardien beef tips - delicious in stews, beef Burgundy, and any recipe where you would use beef.

5. I like Black bean burgers, chick pea burgers, and quinoa burgers. A few brands are excellent.

6. Field Roast is a delicious holiday or company meal.

7. Better than meat hamburger crumbles - great in chili, sloppy Joe's for meatloaf - or in any recipe that uses ground meat.

8. Morningstar Farms barbecued riblets - sometimes I crave those.

4. Tofurky Sandwich Slices - Turkey, peppered Turkey, smoked Turkey, Salami, and Roast Beef. All make a nice sandwich.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 PM

80 posts, read 70,407 times
My fave veggie burger is the one sold on qvc. They are kinda pricey but SO GOOD. I like quorn products as well- their naked cutlets and naked chicken tenders are yummy.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 PM

279 posts, read 545,226 times
The Gardein fishless fish filets are very good. I made tartar out of Just Mayo and put the filets on a sandwich thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food