Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Go for a check-up with your general practitioner if you intend to start a brand new exercise program. Consult a registered dietician for help creating a vegetarian diet if you are nervous about getting the appropriate nutrients and calories. Honestly, though, eating a vegetarian diet is not hard if you eat varied foods in sufficient amounts. And it's quite easy if you continue eating dairy and eggs, although take it easy on the cheese. Lots of new vegetarians find it hard to lose weight, because they tend to load up on simple carbs and cheese to stay satisfied in the absence of meat.
That's exactly what I did. Ate too much bread and cheese when I first made the switch and gained two pounds. Also, I went to Europe right after, where lots of tasty breads and cheeses were to be had. Now I'm working toward more plant-based meals, so that should help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,297,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
And: scour cookbooks to find recipes you will find delicious.
This is good advice.

You may want a few vegetarian cookbooks--they have some ingredients you may have never tried. You will like some, finding a few new great staples, and others you won't like. This is a worthwhile process.

You may want a few non-vegetarian cookbooks too. I personally cook a lot of non-vegetarian recipes and just omit or replace the meat.

Tofu cooking can be tricky. Don't give up on your first try. If you're into it, get a tofu press. It's worth the few $ to improve the texture.

Personally, I grew up in a house where we had no fresh spices or vegetables. When I became vegetarian, I made it a point to walk through the produce section each week and randomly pick one thing I'd never tried before. Worth doing.

Finally, steer clear of all woo. There's lots of it among vegetarians. Stick with evidence, facts, proof.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:55 PM

7,611 posts, read 6,120,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
During high school, I attempted the vegetarian lifestyle for about six months, and I felt so much better and I lost a lot of weight too.

I messed it up because of temptation, but whatever. I'm 24 now, and obese. I want to make the transition into the vegetarian diet because I'm tired of feeling the way that I do. and my weight is holding me back from doing a lot of things that I wanna do (going to the beach, wearing cute clothes, etc)

How should I start this process again? Any advice? Tips?
First, you are not the only one starting back to vegetarianism on New Years

The Big Cat's kitchen is cooking veggie lasagna as we speak.

My old lady was vegetarian when we met. She weighed in at 105 lbs. She was a hot little blonde.

Now, years later, after being a carnivore, she may be a candidate for Jenny Craig. Her mom, sadly, is a two ton tessie* as well, and part of it may be genetic., (I was noticing yesterday that she has gotten so fat that she has boobs now....only they grow out of her back !)

SO A few suggestions

1 DO NOT Replace meat with carbs. Yes we are having lasagna, but most meals we are really chinchy on the carbs. Just erase the carbs as well as the meats

2 DO NOT Cook the same thing over and over again. We are shooting for a 28 day limit,, which means that the lasagna cannot be served again Before Feb 3

3 You still need protein. Get it from combos like beans/rice,. We eat a lot of TOFU around here. Nuts suffice as well.

4 Remember that some of the healthiest foods in the veggie world may sometimes have more calories. Avocado has the calories, but also the good fats If you are counting calories, then be aware of this.

5 Keep fresh fruits on hand Eat fruits every day

6 Make your own breads if possible, That will allow you to control the amount of sugar and avoid high fructose corn syrup that is in so many breads. You can make flat bread easily, or if you have a bread machine, that is the best way to go.

two tons equals 4000 Lbs ! May be an exaggeration, but then again .............

Old 01-05-2016, 02:19 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
What has surprised me most is how much I like Tofu. I've had some really good Tofu dishes in the past couple of months. (Why does autocorrect capitalize tofu?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food