Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:09 PM

569 posts, read 555,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if meat is gross and slimey,,,,don't eat it...

plain and simple....

my god if you are squeamish over this,,,,you've had an easy life
I DON'T HAVE AN EASY LIFE!!! I have never figured out why two slices of green leaves costing 25 cents. And they went higher in the price, if that same hour happened to rain a bit in the summer afternoons.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,914,595 times
Try to ignore the sarcastic and less-than-helpful replies on here.

I was vegetarian for about 8 years then switched back to eating meat for 3 years. When I first went back to eating meat, it did seem pretty strange at first and I was a bit repulsed at first by it. I think it was a combination of getting used to the texture of the meat versus the vegetables, fruit, and grains I had been eating previously. When the meat was raw prior to me cooking it, it didn't smell especially appealing either. I think that this is probably pretty normal, but it wasn't too bothersome for me as my husband and daughter were not vegetarians so I was pretty used to the smell of meat as I cooked it for them while I was vegetarian. Not saying I liked the smell of it raw, pork and beef don't smell pleasing to me.

Whether or not to eat meat is a personal choice and you must choose what is best for you. It is often more expensive to follow a vegetarian diet than a typical omnivore diet. I stopped eating red meat, pork (never did eat it) and poultry about 4 years ago but do eat fish once in a while. I don't personally believe that one's diet makes one morally superior or inferior to another and nobody should be judged on what they eat/do not eat.

If you have decided to incorporate meat back into your diet, you will get used to the smell and texture eventually but it probably won't happen overnight. I hope it works out for you

Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,660,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If it is that distasteful to you, don't eat it.
Yes. This.

Uncooked meat is disgusting. I am almost a vegetarian. Go with your gut. If something is telling you that meat is disgusting, you have no reason to "get used to it".

Watch some slaughterhouse footage on Youtube.

Then grab a few heads of greens, some hot sauce, some cans of beans, a few caked of tofu, a bag of potatoes, yams, pasta and sauce. Some oat meal almond milk and fruit and nuts.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,322,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
I DON'T HAVE AN EASY LIFE!!! I have never figured out why two slices of green leaves costing 25 cents. And they went higher in the price, if that same hour happened to rain a bit in the summer afternoons.

many of our grandmothers would kill a chicken and pluck the feathers ,,for sunday dinner..
not squeamish at all

we are fortunate most of us have never been really hungry or starving

to each their own,,, im a bit bias'd im a butcher and live in the wilds of maine we still hunt for foods

I've seen my share of disgusting meat i'll spare the gory details

Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,270,017 times
Before you cue up Kumbaya over the wonderful life that meat animals live in the US take a gander at a few feed lots and loaded transport trucks. Do humane conditions exist? Yes. Do the majority of meat animals in the US live and die in humane conditions? No.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:57 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,409,904 times
Its gross to me too -- which is why I never eat it.

I've been veg for almost 10 years. I don't even see meat as a food source anymore. It doesn't even register to me, never crosses my mind.

Beans in every form (chili, bean burgers, etc), nuts, tofu, hummus, some mock meats (like Quorn Cutlets), eggs and cheese/yogurt replaces meat for me..

Funny too because I grew up with MASSIVE meat eaters. Steaks at least 2x a week, fish/burgers/fried chicken every other night and whatnot. The only veg we had was corn, green beans or potatoes most of the time- everything else was meat or carb based.

You'd think I would have a big taste for it, but I simply don't. I'm brutally turned off putting dead carcass bits in my mouth.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:27 PM

569 posts, read 555,147 times
You still didn't get the idea: Nobody could eat a piece of animal flesh without the seasonings. And all the seasonings were vegetarian; and that including the roasting&cooking fires to me. The world provided everything descent in vegies. And you could eat the vegies raw.

And more the fruits you eat, then more you smell like perfumes. The world is excellent, isn't it?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,270,017 times
I don't think I've ever watched a Youtube video about farm animals. Don't have to. I was raised on a farm and have been in every type of facility that the average US meat animal passes through between birth and the bolt-gun. I have witnessed and participated in all kinds of clipping, snipping, loading and culling of farm animals. My dad's cows and pigs lived a better life than most, at least until the day we hauled them to the auction.

I have a hard time believing that you really think meat animals have a stress-free life. Maybe they do squeeze in a few calm moments between nut-cutting day, ear tag insertion day, nose-piercing day, artificial-insemination day, vaccination day, tail-clipping day, beak-trimming day, male chick discard day, separation from mother day, branding day, trip to the feed lot day as a confused one year old, the entire three months at the feed lot and trip to the slaughterhouse day/s. I'm not a crazy vegetarian who doesn't understand. I stopped eating farm animals in the 80s because I saw first hand the suffering that they endured in their mostly short lives and chose not to participate. I don't begrudge anyone their burgers or wings but I can't pretend there isn't a lot of suffering involved.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: quoted text which violates forum rules has been deleted

Old 12-08-2015, 03:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,908,118 times
Please refer to the sticky special rules of this forum. This forum is not for converting anyone away from veganism or vegetarianism.

Quote:
This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert vegetarians and vegans. It is meant for vegetarians and vegans interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to vegetarians and vegans. Use our main Food and Drink forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food