Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,879,441 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a remodel on a condo kitchen. It is small, only 12 feet of wall space. I plan to get a tall narrow fridge and go to a two burner cooktop to increase counter space. I have portable induction hot plates if more burners are temporarily needed. I also have a micro-convection oven and like to play with the pressure cooker.

I cook in bulk and like to entertain. I am slowly moving to vegetarianism. Would you have specific differences in a vegan kitchen? Any appliances that would be a must have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM

507 posts, read 444,405 times
Get a good food processor so you don't cramp your hands up chopping up all of those vegetables when you cook in bulk.

I was given a pressure cooker years ago and never used it. Instead, I found a slow cooker to be more useful. I have one that sits on a hot plate that you can use by itself as a griddle, maybe if you want to brown something.

Otherwise, I noticed that it's more what you don't use than what you do when you have a vegetarian kitchen: No need for meat thermometers, carving knives, tenderizing mallets (although you could probably find a use for one if you have one, anyway), broiler pans, etc.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,785,471 times
If you have the counter space, maybe a rice cooker. I used to make a lot of dishes based around brown rice, wheat berries, groats, etc. A rice cooker will prepare those things without taking up one of your burners and is better about keeping its contents warm. I think you can also use it for lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes. I want to try a pressure cooker but those puppies scare me.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If you have the counter space, maybe a rice cooker. I used to make a lot of dishes based around brown rice, wheat berries, groats, etc. A rice cooker will prepare those things without taking up one of your burners and is better about keeping its contents warm. I think you can also use it for lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes. I want to try a pressure cooker but those puppies scare me.

I'm in a salt air environment so anything electronic has a shorten life. I've been cooking rice a lot on the stovetop and it's pretty darn easy that I don't get the convenience of the rice cooker.

I just did my first pressure cooker rice and was impressed. As far as danger, well I am a man. Maybe not as much as I thought though. The Exploding Pressure Cooker | Roadfood.com Discussion Board

Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,978,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I'm planning a remodel on a condo kitchen. It is small, only 12 feet of wall space. I plan to get a tall narrow fridge and go to a two burner cooktop to increase counter space. I have portable induction hot plates if more burners are temporarily needed. I also have a micro-convection oven and like to play with the pressure cooker.

I cook in bulk and like to entertain. I am slowly moving to vegetarianism. Would you have specific differences in a vegan kitchen? Any appliances that would be a must have?
I've been cooking vegetarian/vegan for over a decade and never found I needed anything different from a kitchen, on the basic level, then anyone else.

I like to have a steamer to make seitan, but that's a simple matter.

Other than that, I can't think of a single difference.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 AM

264 posts, read 607,759 times
A pressure cooker is totally worth getting and getting used to. Not just for rice, but also beans,legumes, steaming veggies

Old 09-30-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I've been cooking vegetarian/vegan for over a decade and never found I needed anything different from a kitchen, on the basic level, then anyone else.

I like to have a steamer to make seitan, but that's a simple matter.

Other than that, I can't think of a single difference.
In general would you say more or less refrigeration space is needed? How about freezer space? What would be in there, frozen veggie patties? Do you need oven space or would a 1.5 cubic foot convection oven be fine?

Thanks everybody.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,713,677 times
I find that mason jars come in handy for storage since I like to buy dry items in bulk, and don't care for plastic containers.

A label maker is pretty useful for putting the storage date on the jar.

Other than those, I find that I also make frequent use of my blender and rice cooker.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:56 PM

269 posts, read 371,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
A pressure cooker is totally worth getting and getting used to. Not just for rice, but also beans,legumes, steaming veggies
Yeah definitely if you like Indian dals a pressure cooker is essential.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 AM

666 posts, read 646,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
In general would you say more or less refrigeration space is needed? How about freezer space? What would be in there, frozen veggie patties? Do you need oven space or would a 1.5 cubic foot convection oven be fine?

Thanks everybody.
Hmm well personally my freezer contains what I imagine everyone else, minus meat. Various things I've batch cooked, fruits, loads of frozen veggies, bulk yeast, pizza dough, and yeah some veggie patties and other meat subs for fun. Gardein fishless patties and meatballs are always in there lol. Personally I need oven space but I do a lot of baking.

Hmm reread your op. I have a very small apartment kitchen so I'm really careful with what appliances I've kept and / or bought. A 5 cup rice cooker (also has a nice veggie steaming insert), not huge food processor (I have a 3 cup one, 7 cup would be better maybe ), an immersion blender, are favorites for me. I think this really depends on your cooking preferences and habits not meat/meatless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food