Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 AM

33 posts, read 182,067 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to find a health conscious, friendly, outdoors oriented community to settle down in. We're not total vegitarians but she doesn't eat meat. We'd like a community that has a health conscious attitude, vegitarian leaning restaurants that use locally grown food, good farmer's markets for locally grown produce, and a general sense of community with friendly people.

She's very involved with progressive, holistic forms of healing, energy medicine, nutrition, Korean Hand Therapy and biofeedback. She's active in the Unity Church and that's a "must have" for her community. A spiritually progressive and tolerant community is a must. She needs lots of sunlight so it can't be gray, rainy or overcast and cold all the time.

Me? I just can't stand the heat in SW Florida (90's for half of the year) and follow her lead in maintaining health. I love scenery and have lived all over the world while stationed in the AF. I am a musician and want a community that has an active arts and entertainment scene with numerous musical groups I can participate in like wind ensembles, jazz bands, orchestras, etc.

We were looking at places like Blaine WA, Eugene OR, San Francisco area CA but are open to any place that meets those needs listed above. It must be an affordable place (leaves out SF) because we would be on a retired income until I reopened a business.

Anybody know of such a place? It has to be on planet Earth too, lol. Thanks for any input.

Sage113
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Sometimes the process of elimination can help narrow down your possible places.

Why don't you find a list of communities that have a Unity Church, since that seems like a must, then start eliminating the towns that don't have a climate you can endure? That should narrow down your list quite a bit.

Then you can Google your remaining list and see which towns have health food stores--or maybe more than one. Do the same for vegetarian restaurants and maybe CSA's.

When you're done, you should have whittled down a world of possibilities and ended up with a custom list that should meet your desires...

Let us know how you do...and while Eugene is certainly veggie-friendly--its sunshine quotient may leave you feeling a little gray and damp around the edges...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,960 times
Austin, TX might fit the bill for you, although the weather may be too similar. I'm in Houston, But I have musician friends in Austin and they love it there. I think Houston has more farmers' markets though.
Unity Center Church of Austin
Austin Farmers Market)
Austin Live Music - Austin, Texas
Austin Texas Music | Austin Music Scene | Austin Music Venues | Austin Music Attractions
Reiki, Reiki Training, Energy Healing, The Reconnection in Austin, Texas
Energy Healing - Holistic Directory Listing
repatternit.com - Holographic Repatterning
Lively Thoughts from The Herb Bar, Austin

Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I agree about Eugene -- great community, but the cost of living is (IIRC) fairly high and in general there's not a lot of sun.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
oregon, nor or so cal

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Santa Fe or Boulder may fit the bill for you.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
How about Asheville?

Asheville, NC New Age Mecca

Old 08-08-2010, 03:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage113 View Post
My wife and I are trying to find a health conscious, friendly, outdoors oriented community to settle down in. We're not total vegitarians but she doesn't eat meat. We'd like a community that has a health conscious attitude, vegitarian leaning restaurants that use locally grown food, good farmer's markets for locally grown produce, and a general sense of community with friendly people.

She's very involved with progressive, holistic forms of healing, energy medicine, nutrition, Korean Hand Therapy and biofeedback. She's active in the Unity Church and that's a "must have" for her community. A spiritually progressive and tolerant community is a must. She needs lots of sunlight so it can't be gray, rainy or overcast and cold all the time.

Me? I just can't stand the heat in SW Florida (90's for half of the year) and follow her lead in maintaining health. I love scenery and have lived all over the world while stationed in the AF. I am a musician and want a community that has an active arts and entertainment scene with numerous musical groups I can participate in like wind ensembles, jazz bands, orchestras, etc.

We were looking at places like Blaine WA, Eugene OR, San Francisco area CA but are open to any place that meets those needs listed above. It must be an affordable place (leaves out SF) because we would be on a retired income until I reopened a business.

Anybody know of such a place? It has to be on planet Earth too, lol. Thanks for any input.

Sage113
Check out Sebastopol, CA https://www.city-data.com/city/Sebast...alifornia.html
Sebastopol Center for the Arts
Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma
Welcome • Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa (UUCSR)
I'm pretty sure it has everything you want. The nearest UU churches would be in Santa Rosa (about 12 miles) or Petaluma (about 17 miles, but this would be down a beautiful road....)

Honestly, I'd be living in Sebastopol, if I could... The weather is great; on the few days per year when it does heat up, almost like clockwork, between 4-5 pm the breeze picks up, and the fog bank from the coast will move in and every thing cools down. The humidity is markedly lower than your current location..

And no....I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce nor am I selling anything. LOL.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Check out two places that you most likely have never thought about but are very affordable and have vegetarian Vegan Communities - Wilkes Barre PA and Scranton PA.
There is a fantastic vegan Restaurant in Scranton called Eden. The people who run it are very very cool and through them you will meet other like minded people.
Wilkes Barre has a Weggmans which is very health and vegetarian friendly and hosys a Farmers Market in the Park each week from April - October.
There is a Unity Church and a Unitarian Fellowship in Wilkes Barre.
outside of Scranton in nearby Clarks Summit there is a natural food store called Evereything Natural.
The area is under two hours two several large cities and attractions - NYC Phillie and the Jersey Shore.
If you enjoy skiing you are really in luck! Camel Back and Snow mountain are with in 10 minutes of each city.
Wilkes Barre boasts a beautiful river fromt and Riverfest - with many cultural events.
The area is home to several Universities and colleges.
Here is the best part - you can but a nice 3-4 bedroom house for under 100 thousand. ^0 or 70 K are the usual.
You can rent a house for 599 to 700 and a 3 or 4 room apartment for 300 to 500.
there are four beautiful seasons as well.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Check out two places that you most likely have never thought about but are very affordable and have vegetarian Vegan Communities - Wilkes Barre PA and Scranton PA.
There is a fantastic vegan Restaurant in Scranton called Eden. The people who run it are very very cool and through them you will meet other like minded people.
Wilkes Barre has a Weggmans which is very health and vegetarian friendly and hosys a Farmers Market in the Park each week from April - October.
There is a Unity Church and a Unitarian Fellowship in Wilkes Barre.
outside of Scranton in nearby Clarks Summit there is a natural food store called Evereything Natural.
The area is under two hours two several large cities and attractions - NYC Phillie and the Jersey Shore.
If you enjoy skiing you are really in luck! Camel Back and Snow mountain are with in 10 minutes of each city.
Wilkes Barre boasts a beautiful river fromt and Riverfest - with many cultural events.
The area is home to several Universities and colleges.
Here is the best part - you can but a nice 3-4 bedroom house for under 100 thousand. ^0 or 70 K are the usual.
You can rent a house for 599 to 700 and a 3 or 4 room apartment for 300 to 500.
there are four beautiful seasons as well.
Wow, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA sounds like a dream come true! Absolutely NOT. Some of the things mentioned are positives, but they are heavily outweighed by the negatives. For spirituality, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is covered with churches. A rather devout religious area. The population does get involve in charities and helping out others in need. The scenery is nice, nice lakes, parks, etc. The positives END there. The OP mentioned that there has to be a decent amount of "sunlight." One major negative about the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is that it experiences frequent overcast skies YEAR-ROUND. The worse being from late fall until early spring. It is almost as bad as Seattle. The only months that receives an almost daily amount of sunshine are July, August, September, and sometimes April. The rest of the year is majority gray or under heavy cloud cover. In May and June, it constantly rains. The changing colors on the leaves during the Fall are a nice sight-- but not when the sky above it is gray, gloomy, and overcast. Even Pittsburgh has a sunnier fall! A full clear blue sky sunny day is rare around here. Believe me, if you suffer from SAD, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is OUT of the question. In addition, the area is not really a "healthy" vegetarian region. A lot of restaurants full of unhealthy, greasy foods. It is far from the kind of health places that exist in Florida or California. The businesses here cater to the majority of the population -- beer bellies, clogged arteries, and tons of extra flab. Picture a guy or lady with an overweight stomach holding a beer in one hand and a cigarette in another. Now pretend its 1985 in terms of fashion. All of this underneath a gloomy, gray, overcast sky is a great description of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre region!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food