Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM

91 posts, read 436,466 times

Advertisements

Visited WA last spring - lovely! Then we went to Or. Really like that too. Now, we're trying to decide between the two states. We want to stay near the Columbia river area, hence Portland or Vancouver's surrounding burbs.

So, being that we are a bi-racial family, how inclusive are some of the outer burbs in WA like Battle Ground, Richfield, Washougal? Don't really want to be the local freakshow, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 11:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
pretty generic region, tho there are some strong conservative enclaves near BG (Meadowglade = 7th Day adventist academy + strong apostolic Luthern's in Hockinson + plenty of LDS) I've never heard any problems from them, nor would I expect it, (they do 'Look-out-for-their-own', but don't bother others, unless you expect to transact business in their area of expertise). You might feel slightly 'off-color'. (self conscious). Both are great family communities. You can always just stay on the north of Vancouver (orchards, salmon creek). It really will depend on your social needs and desire for space.

Racial issues are not significant in PNW (Westside) that I've noticed... but I'm not a minority here. We previously got full doses living in Asia, Europe and parts of Canada. It is a challenge, but we've appreciated each opportunity to learn from a different culture, tho the lessons can be painful at times. We have a few friends that are bi-racial couples, but it is not prominant. There may be other areas that would feel more welcoming, but not knowing your ethnicity, I won't offer suggestions.

Weigh the state options
WA - no income tax, decent (not necessarily 'elected'... state gov) but fairly responsible and well diversified state economy, and climate

OR - no sales tax (if you do much shopping...) school and state funding questionable (low bond rating, not solvent). Property taxes often similar to WA, tho not as aggressive. (other sorces of income... 8-9% income tax ( )
it does have some nice areas that are unique. Not as well rounded economy, but lots of options and probably more diverse in jobs and people groups.

spring visit may not prepare you for 285 days of overcast and/or rain.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-12-2007 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

91 posts, read 436,466 times
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm of Asian desent and my husband is of Irish/Scottish descent. We are New Yorkers, so it's never ever been an issue for us. I'm not particularly sensitive to these things since I didn't have to grow up that way. But, I am a tiny bit wary for my young son - who looks more like me than Daddy.

Any other feedback or suggestions would be very welcomed.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplwh View Post
...I'm of Asian desent ...I am a tiny bit wary for my young son - who looks more like me than Daddy.
I don't think this will be any problem in the PNW

Old 03-13-2007, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,884 times
Smile Battle Ground Inclusive?

BATTLE GROUND IS A GREAT TOWN,I THINK THEY HAVE GROWN WITH THE TIMES BUT THE OUTSKIRTS LIKE YACOLT,AMBOY,LACENTER ARE REAL HICK TOWNS AND SOME OF THAT FILTERS INTO BATTLE GROUND.I HAVE LIVED AROUND THE AREA NEARLY 50 YEARS AND HAVE ONLY KNOWN ONE BLACK FAMILY AROUND HERE I REALLY DONT THINK YOUD BE TREATED LIKE A FREAK SHOW,NOT AT ALL

Old 05-12-2007, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,330 times
Battle Ground is a great place and the Apostolic Lutheran community is not one bit racial as far as I know. They are a large part of the community and are mostly involved in Religion and construction. Good people!!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATFISH69 View Post
BATTLE GROUND IS A GREAT TOWN,I THINK THEY HAVE GROWN WITH THE TIMES BUT THE OUTSKIRTS LIKE YACOLT,AMBOY,LACENTER ARE REAL HICK TOWNS AND SOME OF THAT FILTERS INTO BATTLE GROUND.I HAVE LIVED AROUND THE AREA NEARLY 50 YEARS AND HAVE ONLY KNOWN ONE BLACK FAMILY AROUND HERE I REALLY DONT THINK YOUD BE TREATED LIKE A FREAK SHOW,NOT AT ALL
I think Katfish69 is correct in that you would not be treated like a freak show, but is not really acquainted with the "hick town" of Amboy. I am a CPA, my husband is an electrical/mechanical engineer, our next door neighbor is a retired airline captain, and the list could go on. We have lived in Amboy for 20 years, and the people we have come in contact with have been caring and concerned about the welfare of others in the community. I grew up in a non-hick city, and people here are much kinder and more respectful of the feelings of others than those we moved away from.

Anywhere you go, you will find people who need to belittle others, as inKatfish 69, but I believe that you would enjoy living in Vancouver or any of the outlying areas. Most people we have come in contact with would make good neighbors.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,787 times
I love Battle Ground but can't afford to buy here so will probably move north eventually. If you can buy here now, do it - you definitely will make a profit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area