Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:02 PM

168 posts, read 637,957 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what the perception is of WSU in Vancouver in particular, and any other WA colleges. Any comments on any aspect are appreciated. Please don't hesitate to comment on other WA (or Oregon) colleges. Our kids have interests in science majors, biology, genetics, physics, med school, etc.

Which WA colleges are touted as best?
Which have too much partying, drugs?
Which have good research environment?
Which have more "balanced" curriculum, vs far-left.
Same for Portland area?

We are considering a WA home in BattleGround, Ridgefield or...? Need to be able to commute to a good university.

Thanks, Westward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,200,174 times
how old are your kids??

Clark College in Vanc has a good academic reputation in math and science, and... jr and sr in HS can go there for free if they pass the test as sophmores (mine did that), then one went to WSU Vanc (non-science). It was not great for his particular major. Tho they do have some good science facilities + the Clark College continuation of nursing program (you should find some who've pursued this.) But... if 'pre-med' / strict science type education + commute from Vancouver, then look into U of Portland (private in N PDX) I have heard many good things from there, as well as have friends there now. Also Concordia University (private in north PDX) is 10 min from Vanc. A great financial situation for each has been when a parent gets a job there and kids go for free... both have good financial aid offerings, with good endowments. Kids can also get jobs there while finishing up Jr College, then they can get under grad for free, (as employee) and discounts on Grad programs.

for WA state, UW has best reputation for sciences, and WSU-Pullman for engineering and vet school. Pullman is considered the party school, but education can be had there.... (I'm not keen on the professors I've dealt with from there (on a business professional level... they were pretty 'childish', and insistant on promoting their personal agendas, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, as it is a very large school)

the nice thing about vancouver area, is there is a wealth of schools available, especially community college, which can be a great way to get an economical and quality start into the U process. (w 80% success rate, rather than <50% for direct inductees + less chance of changing major after $xx,xxx.xx)

Clark, Lower Columbia, Portland Community, Mt Hood, Clackamas are all close Jr Colleges
+ for Undergrad,
WSU-V, UofP, PSU, Concordia, Multnohmah, Warner Pacific, Reed, Lewis and Clark, George Fox, Linnfield, + the commercial schools of Western, Phoenix...

If they do the Jr Col thing, they can go via 'contract' to about 200 schools in PNW. If they decide on a major and stick with the requirements. They can also get a HS 'Diploma' from Clark, (usually simultaneous with AA) if they don't want to do the HS thing. Lots of options

had a friend do premed at Pacific Luthern in Tacoma,
One son and lots of friends very happy with undergrad at "western wash U", Bellingham (very low class size, and nice facility / area)

Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM

550 posts, read 3,268,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Which WA colleges are touted as best?
Every school has a few strong programs. Depends on which specific program you're researching. I've known several people who attended WSU-Vancouver, (which does have a good reputation for their edcuation, biology, and business programs), who've gone onto do exceptionally well in thier chosen field or onto post-grad studies.

Quote:
Which have too much partying, drugs?
Most any school with a dorm is going to have partying, outside of a religious school. In my experiences, all my friends who were more into partying than studying usually went to WSU in Pullman if they stayed in-state and went to Arizona State if they went out-of-state.

Quote:
Which have good research environment?
Again, depends on which program or what research.

Quote:
Which have more "balanced" curriculum, vs far-left.
Do you mean to ask which schools teach on a slant either pro or con of a political ideology? Not sure. I never encountered that particular issue so I'm wholly unable to help out on this one.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 AM

168 posts, read 637,957 times
Default Sounds good

One teen is joint enrolled at our local jr. college now, the other will be in September...somewhere. So far, I'm only hearing good things about WSU and Clark. It sounds like there is a lot to choose from by staying near Vancouver-Portland.

Thanks for all the info,
Westward

Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 AM

103 posts, read 504,193 times
clark college is a great two-year school, but from what i understand, wsu/vancouver is a place of lower education.

if you have the money, spend all four years at the university of portland. portland state also is solid.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 PM

642 posts, read 2,557,162 times
Portland is your best bet. It far outweighs Vancouver WSU.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 AM

550 posts, read 3,268,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Portland is your best bet. It far outweighs Vancouver WSU.
Again, depends on the program. (And where you refering to Portland State or University of Portland?)

I would strongly suggest visiting as many campuses as feasible and talk with the advisors for each program your kids are interested in. Every school is a little different, and each student's experience can vary drastically even within the same school. Visit the campuses, get a tour, talk with current students in the same or similar programs that your kids are interested and, if you can, talk with a couple professors.

You'll have a much better idea after visiting if a school is appropriate for your kids versus just reading about them.

I've had several friends and family members attend quite a few colleges or universities in WA and OR. (Many of which began their college careers at Clark College and had good experiences there.) All schools have advantages and disadvantages. You just have to find which mix of both works for you and your family.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM

411 posts, read 1,602,674 times
This thread is very helpful to me. My daughter is only a freshman right now but is headed to college after h.s. and we are kinda sorta looking around. The information on University of Portland was GREAT. Would anyone know how it compares to, say, the University of Oregon?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM

642 posts, read 2,557,162 times
I know several people who went to UofO and they had a great time and got a great education. The two locations are so different. One is right in the middle of a bustling city and the other is in laid back more country setting of Eugene. I do know in Portland you have and attachment of OHSU so I am assuming for medical this would be the best benifit. My childs friends are at an age where they are starting to look at help for college tuition. She was very excited to tell me of all the scholarships and grants they have gotten through U of O. There was a couple that had a large amount already secured. I have a friend whos son got into UofO and UofW (Huskies) and cant decide. I would look into grants and scolorships and what environment they would work best in.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
... My daughter is only a freshman right now but is headed to college after h.s. ...information on University of Portland was GREAT. Would anyone know how it compares to, say, the University of Oregon?
as far as "values"; approximately 179 degrees apart...
U of O = far left
U of P = moderate right (Catholic / private)

your Mileage may vary on Specific education program

If your daughter is a Freshman in HS, it may be a good time to begin tutoring for the Sophomore placement test into "Running Start", or your states equivalent (Jr. college in addition to or supplementing HS). It is free, good education and usually works great for girls (more academically able to balance both balls + jobs and activities, and their car insurance rate doesn't force them to earn an extra $200/month, often only $50 extra).

in retrospect.... I should have placed more emphasis on getting my kids to do a 'private' school for undergrad. The experiences I've seen indicate that the level of funding available ends up making Private schools pretty close to a financial wash with public school costs. I had used the argument that the graduate level school is much more important, but... all education is a huge time and $$ sink, and a one-time investment. It should be done at an institution (or in a way) which has a passion and skill for conveying life changing information, not just transferring 'head knowledge'. I'd beware of huge class sizes taught by Jr. staff, or Grad students. This is often common in Freshman and Soph yrs, thus my bent towards using a Jr Col, and saving the $$. Many times Jr. Col staff is retired profs from U's, and seasoned folks from industry. They bring a lot of depth to the process. I am forever grateful for my boys having an 80 yr old ex-WWII war reporter, as a photography prof at Jr Col. They both learned a life skill that they are now quite good at and enjoy, complete with many 'war' stories, and a deeper instilled value for those who have gone before us to prepare and secure our education and freedom. At Jr College they were also availed some minority ex-military history instructors, who tho quite controversial, provided important diversity, and who's voices are quenched in the usual U setting.

just my $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area